How should the rating system be changed?

How should the rating system be changed?

• Add "Disagree" back with certain exceptions.

Votes: 27 64.3%
    • Remove all ratings except "like".

Votes: 4 9.5%
    • Remove all neutral ratings.

Votes: 8 19.0%
    • Keep the system the way it is.

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Trying to direct the conversation to General Discussion. This needs to be sorted out. Vote on it and if your answer doesn't fall into the three options, please, by all means post your thoughts below.

Let's try to keep this civil. That's what this whole discussion is about anyway :)

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Trying to direct the conversation to General Discussion. This needs to be sorted out. Vote on it and if your answer doesn't fall into the three options, please, by all means post your thoughts below.

Let's try to keep this civil. That's what this whole discussion is about anyway :)
    Allow multiple votes, in case 2 options don't exclude each other.

Reactions: Azurite
    Reaction score
    I'm going to give than an "optimistic" because I'm not sure if I'm the one that is optimistic about your post, or if I'm labeling your post as being optimistic in and of itself.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the reddit-like system with up and down buttons.

Reaction score
    I'm going to give than an "optimistic" because I'm not sure if I'm the one that is optimistic about your post, or if I'm labeling your post as being optimistic in and of itself.
    Oh great. You've given me my 34th downvote.

Reactions: Azurite
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I like the idea Duke brought up and how some ratings would not be available in certain areas. For example no disagree in the suggestions but still have old and bad spelling. This will not deter players from posting controversial ideas but if its been brought up before then they will feel the pain of old ratings, which they deserve of course.
    And optimistic needs to be changed to pessimistic to not be considered a good thing!

Last edited:

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I like the idea Duke brought up and how some ratings would not be available in certain areas. For example no disagree in the suggestions but still have old and bad spelling. This will not deter players from posting controversial ideas but if its been brought up before then they will feel the pain of old ratings, which they deserve of course.
    And optimistic needs to be changed to pessimistic to not be considered a good thing!
    "Optimistic", when used in that manner, means that the poster expects greater things from the post than the post is actually going to get.

Like the good old "RAILGUNS PLZ" posts, where they try to formulate a complex argument that boils down to "I liek railgunz"

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    "Optimistic", when used in that manner, means that the poster expects greater things from the post than the post is actually going to get.

Like the good old "RAILGUNS PLZ" posts, where they try to formulate a complex argument that boils down to "I liek railgunz"
    Oh that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for explaining.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The better your reputation is the more flexible the reputation system is and the stronger your opinion can affect others. You have to earn the ability to disagree or be a neutral party or leave a special indicator on a rating.

Rating groups:
    Each group has levels. And each has access to certain types of ratings. The values are what are shown on the bar. Meaning that the higher your level the greater your influence on someone's over all rating. The ability to have more influence within a class exists but does not make it easier to up vote buddies into the Trusted or Community rank. It only allows your opinion to carry greater weight with someone else's reputation. If only slightly.

Novice rater: Can only like or agree. Increases level every 1 to 10 unique positive ratings received regardless of value. Never de-levels.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 1 point positive.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 2 point positive.
    3. and so on... up to 10 max.
    Trusted rater: Can leave indicators on rating making some neutral. Increases level every 11 to 20 unique positive ratings. Can lose a level for receiving 20 unique negative ratings.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 11 point positive or 1 neutral.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 12 point positive or 2 neutral.
    3. and so on... up to 20 max positive leaving a max of 10 neutral.
    Community rater: The only group that can leave negative ratings. Increases level every 22 to 40 unique positive ratings. Can lose a level for receiving 40 unique negative ratings. Which should be nearly impossible. And if someone this hard working has crossed the line a mod or admin can remove a level manually plus possible bans and other repercussions.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 22 point positive or 11 neutral or 1 negative.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 24 point positive or 12 neutral or 2 negative.
    3. and so on... up to 40 positive, 20 neutral and 10 negative. Maximum. Ever.
    Break it down:
    This means that if ten newbies agree it would take one level 10 Community rater to make that person's rating 50/50 if they had no other ratings. Someone that well liked by the community is not likely to vote in such a way lightly. And if they get enough negative feedback they might lose their Lvl 10 status and be forced to work their way back up. If not worse. Trusted raters would have to vote in organized groups to give a similar rating effect on a user's ratings. This would be pretty easy to spot and abusers demoted. Those demoted might be locked at Novice rater Lvl 10 for life for repeat offenses.

Each level, like each group, has an increased value when rating. Making their opinion more valuable to the recipient. The more trusted you are, the more your input is valued. To become a Trusted rater you need a total of 55 unique positive ratings. To become a Community rater you would need 210 unique positive ratings.

Unique rating:
    Any rating received from one other user in one thread during a 24 hour period. Not to exceed 5 threads in the same 24 hour time frame. This means anyone trying to cheat they system by starting or making useless posts that get positive feedback would stick out like a sore thumb and get whacked just like one. In addition that scheme would require 11 other unique accounts that didn't share an IP, email address or other unique details we use for comparison.

TL : DR; Um, meow.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    The better your reputation is the more flexible the reputation system is and the stronger your opinion can affect others. You have to earn the ability to disagree or be a neutral party or leave a special indicator on a rating.

Rating groups:
    Each group has levels. And each has access to certain types of ratings. The values are what are shown on the bar. Meaning that the higher your level the greater your influence on someone's over all rating. The ability to have more influence within a class exists but does not make it easier to up vote buddies into the Trusted or Community rank. It only allows your opinion to carry greater weight with someone else's reputation. If only slightly.

Novice rater: Can only like or agree. Increases level every 1 to 10 unique positive ratings received regardless of value. Never de-levels.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 1 point positive.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 2 point positive.
    3. and so on... up to 10 max.
    Trusted rater: Can leave indicators on rating making some neutral. Increases level every 11 to 20 unique positive ratings. Can lose a level for receiving 20 unique negative ratings.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 11 point positive or 1 neutral.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 12 point positive or 2 neutral.
    3. and so on... up to 20 max positive leaving a max of 10 neutral.
    Community rater: The only group that can leave negative ratings. Increases level every 22 to 40 unique positive ratings. Can lose a level for receiving 40 unique negative ratings. Which should be nearly impossible. And if someone this hard working has crossed the line a mod or admin can remove a level manually plus possible bans and other repercussions.
    1. 1 rating x 1st level = 22 point positive or 11 neutral or 1 negative.
    2. 1 rating x 2nd level = 24 point positive or 12 neutral or 2 negative.
    3. and so on... up to 40 positive, 20 neutral and 10 negative. Maximum. Ever.
    Break it down:
    This means that if ten newbies agree it would take one level 10 Community rater to make that person's rating 50/50 if they had no other ratings. Someone that well liked by the community is not likely to vote in such a way lightly. And if they get enough negative feedback they might lose their Lvl 10 status and be forced to work their way back up. If not worse. Trusted raters would have to vote in organized groups to give a similar rating effect on a user's ratings. This would be pretty easy to spot and abusers demoted. Those demoted might be locked at Novice rater Lvl 10 for life for repeat offenses.

Each level, like each group, has an increased value when rating. Making their opinion more valuable to the recipient. The more trusted you are, the more your input is valued. To become a Trusted rater you need a total of 55 unique positive ratings. To become a Community rater you would need 210 unique positive ratings.

Unique rating:
    Any rating received from one other user in one thread during a 24 hour period. Not to exceed 5 threads in the same 24 hour time frame. This means anyone trying to cheat they system by starting or making useless posts that get positive feedback would stick out like a sore thumb and get whacked just like one. In addition that scheme would require 11 other unique accounts that didn't share an IP, email address or other unique details we use for comparison.

TL : DR; Um, meow.
    I definetly like the rating levels, but here is my suggestion:

Every user on StarMadeDock has a rating "currency"(let's call them "rators" for the moment)
    • For each positive rating they give, they earn 8 rators.
      • Undoing one costs 8 rators
    • For each positive rating they recieve they earn 1 rator.
      • If one of those is undone the user looses 1 rator.
    • Each neutral rating they give costs 2 rators.
      • Undoing one yields 2 rators.
    • Each negative rating they give costs 8 rators.
      • Undoing one yields only 4 rators.(To prevent a "give-undo" spam)
    A user may only give a negative or neutral rating if he can afford it.
    A user's ratings aren't undone if he looses all his rators.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    currancy.. see that's something given by the system and anything that has an allowance will be abused.

with my outline you earn every bleeding point. and a slip of the stupid can happen and take a good chunk right from under you. and you'd be the one apologizing with no hope of getting any of it back. not without support from the community. you'd have to win back hearts and minds. you'd have to make the effort for your opinion have any sway.

you don't get to be given respect, others hold it for you and they have to believe you deserve it. otherwise it has no value.

Reactions: Qweesdy
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    currancy.. see that's something given by the system and anything that has an allowance will be abused.

with my outline you earn every bleeding point. and a slip of the stupid can happen and take a good chunk right from under you. and you'd be the one apologizing with no hope of getting any of it back. not without support from the community. you'd have to win back hearts and minds. you'd have to make the effort for your opinion have any sway.

you don't get to be given respect, others hold it for you and they have to believe you deserve it. otherwise it has no value.
    mhh, what about applying both?

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Soooo

Did the ratings currently disabled save my uses of them?

Reaction score
    Obligatory yet unnecessary Wikipedia link for today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

I've never liked rating systems, and prefer honesty rather than "ego stroking for points". If a system like this was put in place, I'd have little hesitation to:

a) get another account just so I can like my alter ego's posts (and so my alter ego can like mine); and clock up points all over the place. Note that it's easy to get more email addresses, and that I am using a dynamic IP address that can be changed at the press of a reset button.

b) like everyone else's posts, regardless of what I think of the posts, just to make them more likely to like my posts in return

c) create posts that I know other people are likely to agree with, regardless of whether I agree with them myself

Of course I am only joking here (bonus Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate :) ). More likely is that I'd continue to not care about ratings at all. It's not like you're going to win a free pizza for getting the highest score or anything.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Obligatory yet unnecessary Wikipedia link for today: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaming_the_system

I've never liked rating systems, and prefer honesty rather than "ego stroking for points". If a system like this was put in place, I'd have little hesitation to:

a) get another account just so I can like my alter ego's posts (and so my alter ego can like mine); and clock up points all over the place. Note that it's easy to get more email addresses, and that I am using a dynamic IP address that can be changed at the press of a reset button.

b) like everyone else's posts, regardless of what I think of the posts, just to make them more likely to like my posts in return

c) create posts that I know other people are likely to agree with, regardless of whether I agree with them myself

Of course I am only joking here (bonus Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate :) ). More likely is that I'd continue to not care about ratings at all. It's not like you're going to win a free pizza for getting the highest score or anything.

I was under the impression that usage of alt accounts for illegitimate purposes (as opposed to doing a permanent shift to an alt account for privacy purposes) was a bannable offense. Might be wrong on that, but I'll have to check. Would really suck, though, to try to log on to your main account after doing all that work to boost its reputation, just to find it banned.

As for points B and C, doing such will simply damage any progress towards whatever ideas, features, and ends to discussions that you may want - so they're counterproductive.