How much stuff can you stuff in your Stuffie until your Stuffie is stuffed?

How much stuff is in your stuffie?

• Dude, I'm broke. I don't have storage, everything I own is in my pockets.

Votes: 2 8.3%
    • A few thousand of any given block at most. I have to go mining any time I build something new.

Votes: 6 25.0%
    • Tens or hundreds of thousands. I'm pretty well set, I only have to mine when I start something big.

Votes: 7 29.2%
    • Millions. I've eaten entire star systems.

Votes: 6 25.0%
    • Hundreds of millions. I basically have an entire galaxy of resources sitting in storage.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, so we have some feedback on how Cargo is going to work.

Major point of concern for me at the moment is that they seem to be thinking small for how much stuff you can fit into each cargo block. Like really, really small. Like hundreds or thousands of items per block. I don't know about anyone else, but I count my raw material stores in the tens of millions or even hundreds of millions per block type, not in thousands. Just my colored stone and junk rock/dirt/lava stores are in the tens of millions each. My metallic mesh/crystal composite stocks are each in the 200 million range.

I'm going to need planet sized storage facilities at this rate. What about you? What kind of stores is everyone else sitting on?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    they seem to be thinking small for how much stuff you can fit into each cargo block. Like really, really small. Like hundreds or thousands of items per block.
    Ah, no

No one confirmed or denied a couple thousand blocks definitively as a stack limit. If anyone threw around numbers like that it was purely in a speculative sense.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Whew, well please keep in mind that I think most established players are going to need total realistic cargo to be measured in the millions, tens of millions, or hundreds of millions.

Hell, I'm likely going to need half a billion just to store what I've got now. And I'm a one man faction.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    That's understandable. I'll just mention this here as well.

I'll say now one stack doesn't equal one cargo crate. The capacity of each cargo crate will be more per crate than a storage block on its own. We'll obviously balance it appropriately so that both have value without being too OP but regardless of the specific numbers the amount of stacks you can store in a cargo crate will always be greater than with a storage block.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I didn't get the impression they're exactly thinking small. I think some players are maybe thinking small in terms of cargo holds. A few hundred or thousand items per block is quite big, if you think about realistic storage space. Players wanting 10 million shields on their miner have no problem placing giant zones of shield caps, so players wanting to store tens of millions of goods will just have to be OK with placing giant zones of cargo modules as well.

Reaction score
    If from what I understand cargo will add to mass, which it should, storing tens of millions on a ship might become a problem.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I was less concerned about ships and more concerned with stations if we started needed 100x100x100 storage cubes just to put our recycles in.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    If from what I understand cargo will add to mass, which it should, storing tens of millions on a ship might become a problem.
    as well it should :)
    [DOUBLEPOST=1447176665,1447176525][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I was less concerned about ships and more concerned with stations if we started needed 100x100x100 storage cubes just to put our recycles in.
    in preparation for the upcoming cargo i've already gone ahead and installed a whole battery of cool-looking cargo cylinders along the side of my factory. now i'm off to fix my miner with some space for an ore hold, and design a small freighter that can cloak so when i go shopping i don't get ratted!

Reactions: Gristle
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Assuming we have an extremely low limit of 1000 items per crate. 10*10*10=1000, so a simple 10x10x10 cube would 1 million items.
    Now, assuming a spacestation, and the possibility of cargo-holds fully exposed to space, it should be relatively easy to get a 100x100x100 cube of storage area, which would result in 1 milliard items being able to be stored. (I am using the large scale on purpose)

Reactions: Master_Artificer

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The only real issues I'm going to have is figuring out how to setup my station to use this system and rebuilding my sorting system. Worst care I'll just make a standalone station for the factory and to store all the junk my faction grabs on a daily basis. yes it means that there is going to be a huge "Shoot Me!" sign nearby but that thing is going to be in firing range of about 100+ large turrets so anyone that does shoot at it isn't living long. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Will cargo holds function across different entities? Say for example, I have a modular cargo bay ship docked to a station, then my factory (modular factory even?) could be linked to draw from the cargo ship.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The only real issues I'm going to have is figuring out how to setup my station to use this system and rebuilding my sorting system.
    I don't understand. Unless you are using 1-3 storage blocks for everything, it'll be as simple as attaching cargo blocks to the storage blocks. Not that big a problem. If you are using only 1-3 storage blocks, you should have rebuilt that regardless of the cargo update.

Will cargo holds function across different entities? Say for example, I have a modular cargo bay ship docked to a station, then my factory (modular factory even?) could be linked to draw from the cargo ship.
    They are working on it.
    We're devising ways that you will be able to transfer between docked entities so you can move cargo via docked entities on rails.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The only real issues I'm going to have is figuring out how to setup my station to use this system and rebuilding my sorting system.
    As I understand it, you won't have to rebuild or even retrain your sorting system. All of the boxes will work exactly the same as they do now. Only difference is that you will link each storage box to a cargo area that will physically hold the items represented by the storage box.

So you could have a small number of items in a normal storage box by itself, or you can link it up to a cargo bay and the storage box then acts like an interface computer allowing you to pull things in and out of cargo.

Sorting builds will still sort without any kind of redo, you'll just need some backup room hidden away somewhere for the cargo.

Think of it like the storage box becomes a little transporter. It beams items to and from cargo for you so you don't have to rifle through cargo crates by hand. Otherwise you interact with them like we do now.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Honestly I don't see a problem with Home-base storage. As long as you have home-base invulnerability, you can just stack your crates outside in the vastness of space. Nobody is saying that you need a hull around all your crates. :)
    the storage box then acts like an interface computer
    I think the storage box should be renamed to "Manifest Computer"

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I went with the compromise. I didn't try to eek out a room/space inside the station, but am not leaving it exposed to space either. I just slapped a bunch of EZ-build cannisters - 20 minute job in advanced build - onto the exterior and as soon as cargo comes in I will just fill them with storage blocks linked to my existing sorting system. They look more like fuel tanks than cargo holds, but better than just boxes hanging in space, IMO.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    What size would you consider reasonable for storing enough dirt to fill a football/soccer stadium many times over?
    A tennis court's worth, I suppose? IMO, we should get a disposal/incinerator block that burns off things we put in it (Maybe giving us tiny bits of scrap and minerals in return), so we can just filter that crap out that way.

Reactions: Gristle

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What size would you consider reasonable for storing enough dirt to fill a football/soccer stadium many times over?
    Well, point is that we have a lot of blocks like the various soils that have no use what-so-ever other than building planets out of. Even the colored stone from asteroids is only good for paint, and you quickly get more than enough of it for that use but still have to deal with an unending supply of the stuff that you can't otherwise use now, but may or may not be valuable in the future (and hence hoarder tendancy means not to throw it all out).

Can't even sell the stuff because you get it in such large quantities that even trying will fill every shop in a dozen system radius long before you actually run out of it.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Personally the only terrain block I keep is the blue rock from red planets; it makes for great roads. Unless you count Threns (Carved Threns floors are bae) or maybe Chabaz (Used for Aethi road centerlines), but those are technically resources and not just terrain bits...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Perhaps a filter in the salvage computer would be useful to automatically filter out all the worthless stuff (dirt), that way a planet miner doesn't need a storage container the size of a planet.

Reactions: alterintel