How much Cargo to farm a planet?

Reaction score
    Hi! Has anyone worked out roughly how much Cargo Space you need in your "Planet Farmer" to farm a entire (large) planet in one sitting? Since AFAIK the "mass" of a planet part is not displayed, I see no way of knowing except for actually farming a whole planet.

What happens if you are flying the ship and salvaging and you run out of storage? I would guess you don't notice anything, and the stuff you salvaged is simply lost, so I don't really like the idea of just "trying it".

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is the mass of a planet not shown when using a build-block?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I just ate a r190 planet, it filled up about 7.6 layers of a 20*20*20 cargo area. Most of the planet was pretty large mountain structures, there was only 2 "flat" plates. Also this was in claimed territory with what should have been the default bonus multiplier.

So that was 303k of a 800k cargo space (~38%) filled with a "fat" r190 planet in faction claimed space. (These are very likely to change based on patches and sever settings.)

I probably wont go hunting another planet anytime soon until I finish a whole bunch of other testing I have planned.

(On default settings the terrain blocks will be the vast bulk of the weight, most servers though have boosted multipliers, I have not done any math on that)

Edit: Forgot to mention that it will soon be really easy to get "average yields" from the different asteroid types and we can see if any of them are imbalanced with crap filler blocks.

Reaction score
    Thank you! That's good enough an answer for me. :) It means you can still farm a planet with a relatively small ship. I had to connect a huge amount of cargo before the storages on my base stopped being overfull (like 5 times 25^3 cargo just for the capsules), and was worried the planet farmer would need lots too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I would love to see a filter built in that automatically removes dirt and other junk. That would reduce the weight by 95% probably. Filling a space ship with dirt seems like a bad idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to see a filter built in that automatically removes dirt and other junk. That would reduce the weight by 95% probably. Filling a space ship with dirt seems like a bad idea.
    I actually used to have filter to put things to separated storages.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I am already working on "trash" cargo crates that undock once full. Here is what method I am using so you can try making one.

Where the cargo crate is docked have a small filter cargo space to pull trash blocks in and then have the cargo crate pull from its rail.
    The logic setup is pretty simple, place an activator next to the cargo crates storage module, then have that feed into a not, and that not linked to the rail docker. (This will cause the crate to undock once full)

If you want the ship to push the crate away you can place an activator next to the rail then link that activator to a not. Then the not can be linked to a push weapon. (It will fire after something is undocked from the rail but not when trying to dock)

Reactions: kiraen

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

"Zyrenica": That is a picture of the cargo storage space by default that can store the entire planet.
    That's the compression ratio apparently.

Which really puts this monstrosity into perspective:

--Which is just mesh and crystal composite -_-