How long do pirate attacks last (if they even go away)?

Reaction score
    I've lost my tenth savegame so far. This is due to pirates spawning close to the shop I spawn at. Sometimes it's when I'm building the ship. Other times it's right when I spawn. You'd think staying inside the shop would keep you safe, but they can somehow shoot through the glass and into YOU.

I repeatedly spawn at the same shop, and am killed by the same pirates. It's hard to start a game like this. Is using the powers of the Admin the only way to get rid of them at this point?

Ultragamer2000

why am i still here?
    Reaction score
    It takes a while for them to get away...
    Been bombed and blocked on a planet for an hour untill they got bored
    Sometimes pirates take longer
    Wow... And in all those 10 saves... all of them had pirates?

Reaction score
    It takes a while for them to get away...
    Been bombed and blocked on a planet for an hour untill they got bored
    Sometimes pirates take longer
    Wow... And in all those 10 saves... all of them had pirates?
    ALL of them. Either something funny is going on, or I have incredibly bad luck.

Reaction score
    FYI. Missile explosions will still hit players, even behind blocks, if they are within the explosion radius of the missile (last I checked anyway)

Reaction score
    Oh, well... on the bright side I managed to save one ship as a blueprint (before pirates blew it up) so I can now use it when starting a new save...

Reaction score
    Try to keep track of their stations on the galaxy map, avoid them and turn on your radar jammer.

Reaction score
    Try to keep track of their stations on the galaxy map, avoid them and turn on your radar jammer.
    Also, making an invulnerable home base with a few turrets helps lessen the time they hang around...because they die (and then you can salvage and do all that fun stuff

Reaction score
    Are you actually trying to go full vanilla start? You could just turn pirate spawning off.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You can shoot the shop with your pistol and summon Trading Guild. They'll fight the pirates long enough for you to escape usually.

Reaction score
    I always go full vanilla as it's the most fun I get out of any game (and I found "creative mode" in Minecraft incredibly boring).

I could use a radar jammer or make an invulnerable home base. Problem is I never get the chance. They've shown up shortly after I spawn into the world in a new game so I get no chance to do either.

Shooting the station sounds like a nice idea. I just need to build a fast transport to get out of the resulting mess while under fire...

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I always go full vanilla as it's the most fun I get out of any game (and I found "creative mode" in Minecraft incredibly boring).

I could use a radar jammer or make an invulnerable home base. Problem is I never get the chance. They've shown up shortly after I spawn into the world in a new game so I get no chance to do either.

Shooting the station sounds like a nice idea. I just need to build a fast transport to get out of the resulting mess while under fire...
    A couple of thrusters and power on a core will get you to max server speed very quickly. Tacking on a jump drive lets you make long jumps

Reaction score
    Right before I could install the Radar Jammer...

Turns out there was a pirate station that just showed up out of nowhere...

Reaction score
    Radar jammer first then. ;)

Reminds me of the first time i started this game. Got spawnkilled like you by pirates the moment i finished to read the old tutorial and my first ship.

Reaction score
    I would make a simple scooter. One core, one power block, and one thruster. As long as there are no tracking missiles, you can escape from anything.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    /godmode yourname true
    /invisibility yourname true
    /despawn{

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    FYI. Missile explosions will still hit players, even behind blocks, if they are within the explosion radius of the missile (last I checked anyway)
    They fixed that ages ago. You are now 100% safe in your faction home, even from missiles.

As for how long do pirate attacks last, in my experience they last until you log out. Pirates won't attack if you aren't logged in, so if you're getting swarmed with them, simply log out for 10-15 minutes and they'll be gone by the time you get back.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I repeatedly spawn at the same shop, and am killed by the same pirates. It's hard to start a game like this. Is using the powers of the Admin the only way to get rid of them at this point?
    Unfortunately Pirates do not despawn when you logoff. They used to despawn just like the trade guild. But somewhere this got changed as it was seen as an easy way out and possible easy way to get lots of materials.

They didn't think it through though. If you are out there without defense then your stuck. Some servers even have pirates invading the spawn sector. If your next to a Pirate station repeatedly shooting it can cause a Pirate wave spawn loop to the point where the whole server just gives out.

As admin you have total control on how or where and the type of pirates that spawn. Sounds to me your on a single player game and got stuck at spawn. Since single player is the same as a Multi player server the first thing to do is add a proper spawn. Since this isn't set by default. Use the following commands to create a safety bubble and create yourself some room. Every server should do this or at least think it over.

/sector_chmod 2 2 2 + peace

This will stop pirates spawning inside the 2 2 2 sector. Beware that they can still fly inside it from sectors next to it so i recommend adding more sectors until you have at least a 3 by 3 by 3 sector bubble around you.

/sector_chmod 2 2 2 + protected

This makes it impossible for you or anyone else to take damage in the 2 2 2 spawn sector. On Multi player servers this will also protect any new player from becoming cannon fodder for the general population. Again i recommend extending this to a 3 by 3 by 3 bubble.

Be sure to check in your catalog what type of ships spawn as pirates. Do not give them lock on weapons or swarmers. I also highly recommend not using ships that have turrets. Because of entity load and the way pirates tend to spawn other pirates after a set timer runs out.

To get rid of the Pirates already there select/target them and use.

/destroy_entity or /destroy_entity_dock for Multi core ships.

WARNING these are very powerfull commands there is no undo button. Be sure to target the right stuff. You can also use this to delete whole stations or even the spawn shop so beware.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    As for how long do pirate attacks last, in my experience they last until you log out. Pirates won't attack if you aren't logged in, so if you're getting swarmed with them, simply log out for 10-15 minutes and they'll be gone by the time you get back.
    And that's all well and good for multiplayer, but it helps not one bit for Singleplayer, which is where he's having the problem.

Wow, ninja'd by Batavium, literally the second before I can hit the "post reply" button. He must've been writing that one for a bit.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And that's all well and good for multiplayer, but it helps not one bit for Singleplayer, which is where he's having the problem.
    Oh, missed that.

Then yeah, just /destroy_entity_dock on them and call it a day.