How is range of ship gravity determined?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm trying to use gravity units as elevators in a large ship, but I fall out of range of the gravity unit and gravity gets neutralized. I have found that it is not the range from the gravity unit, since I can place a unit at the edge of the ship and it does not activate at all. Is this limit a distance from the core? Is it based on some center of mass? Does total mass increase this range?

Thanks

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I might be wrong here, I really haven't tested this, but it seems to be linked to the ships box dimensions. If you fall out of the ships box dimensions, the gravity de-activates. If you fall into another entities box dimensions, sometimes your gravity de-activates. Beyond that, I have no idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    That sounds reasonable, but I am definitely still in the ship's box dimensions, I am still completely enclosed by the ship's hull. Could it have to do with the fact I am docked? My center of mass is shown to be on the core, even though it is on the edge of the ship, so something is definitely up.

I just undocked and the center of mass moved more to where I would expect it to be, but the gravity still ends well within the confines of the ship. I'll do some experiments on a more complete, large ship and see if I can find anything.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Gravity has been borked for a while now. It seems the game interprets even small vertical motions as breaking whatever gravity influence you are under, but not always.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Gravity has been borked for a while now. It seems the game interprets even small vertical motions as breaking whatever gravity influence you are under, but not always.
    So I should make it smaller jumps? Experiments on existing ships seem to indicate that center of mass and size of the ship have no effect, only distance from the core itself. I am going to start a test ship tonight.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    You are most likely hit by this bug:

T542: Gravity Unit not working far away from core of the Ship

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You are most likely hit by this bug:

T542: Gravity Unit not working far away from core of the Ship

- Andy
    Does this affect stations to? How about Gravity on a docked vessel not respectingthe vessels orientation and instead using the orientation of the entity docked to?

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Nope, thats a different problem.

If you are docked "upside down" in a larger ship, on exiting the core you will be in gravity of the docked ship, to make your view align to it.
    Assuming you want to fly/operate it, and are in no direct relation to the main ship.
    And what should happen if a second player undocks the small ship you are in?
    Shall you stay in place and the small ship can fly away with you bouncing in the wall and lagging through?
    Would cause some odd moments, so, unless using a gravity module, or spacebar while pointing to a part of the main ship, your player focus will stay on the ship you last interacted with.

Stations may have the same effect, a misalignment of the bounding box could happen for both sides.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nope, thats a different problem.

If you are docked "upside down" in a larger ship, on exiting the core you will be in gravity of the docked ship, to make your view align to it.
    Assuming you want to fly/operate it, and are in no direct relation to the main ship.
    And what should happen if a second player undocks the small ship you are in?
    Shall you stay in place and the small ship can fly away with you bouncing in the wall and lagging through?
    Would cause some odd moments, so, unless using a gravity module, or spacebar while pointing to a part of the main ship, your player focus will stay on the ship you last interacted with.

Stations may have the same effect, a misalignment of the bounding box could happen for both sides.

- Andy
    That's what I would expect, that while in the docked ship that I would orient to that vessel, however, that is not always the case. I'd say 50/50 right now whether you orient to the docked ship or to the 'mother' ship. If the game decides to orient you to the 'mother' ship it's often the case that you CANNOT force orientation to the docked ship. This happened to me the other night while in a narrow corridor and i had to cut my way free.