How I feel (and want) salvage to work

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why don't you test it yourself before you jump to conclusions?

That's because it does 10 ticks on the first block it touches in a burst. If you do 20 damage, you'll mine a block, and when another pulse begins immediately after that, it would seem like two blocks are mined in one go.
    No. It doesn't look like it, it really does mine 2 block in one burst.

I doubt that is true. It can salvage a maximum of 1 block per tick, but the tick time is 0.025 / 5 = a very small tick time. And one burst is 2.5 seconds. Do the math, and I think you'll find that it can salvage a lot more than 22 blocks per burst. The lag might be preventing the game from mining more than a certain amount, but I guarantee that the maximum amount of blocks per burst is a lot higher than 22.
    Your math is useless when the game doesn't do what the math says. I don't think it's lag, but lag prevention in the shape of a hard cap.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why don't you test it yourself before you jump to conclusions?

No. It doesn't look like it, it really does mine 2 block in one burst.

Your math is useless when the game doesn't do what the math says. I don't think it's lag, but lag prevention in the shape of a hard cap.
    I don't know about the bard cap, but I got it up quite high with a rather small amount of modules.

Are you using 1 salvage cannon and 1 cannon? Then it is salvaging 2 in one burst because the cannon also adds to the salvage damage. Just the way the damage gets used gets changed, but dps is the same as a normal array of an equal size. At least that's what I think is what happens. I'll need to check the config to see whether the cannon slave should reduce the dps. What I do know for sure is that any slave module adds a damage value equal to that of a salavage module. In that regard it works the same as any weapon system.

And just for the record, I did test it myself. What probably happens is that the block update can't keep up with the salvager, resulting in a smaller amount of blocks per burst. Try using just one massive beam, and be check if it still is only 22 blocks per burst.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Are you using 1 salvage cannon and 1 cannon? Then it is salvaging 2 in one burst because the cannon also adds to the salvage damage.
    Nope. 1:1 cannon slaves reduce damage by 50%, so the damage is the same as just one salavage block.

And just for the record, I did test it myself. What probably happens is that the block update can't keep up with the salvager, resulting in a smaller amount of blocks per burst. Try using just one massive beam, and be check if it still is only 22 blocks per burst.
    I did try a single beam. How many blocks can you mine with a single burst (click and realse mouse button immediately) of a single beam, oriented along a cardinal axis (press 'C' before firing), and how many salvage and cannon blocks did it take?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Nope. 1:1 cannon slaves reduce damage by 50%, so the damage is the same as just one salavage block.

I did try a single beam. How many blocks can you mine with a single burst (click and realse mouse button immediately) of a single beam, oriented along a cardinal axis (press 'C' before firing), and how many salvage and cannon blocks did it take?
    Pressing C has the problem of the beam disappearing, so I never allign myslef completely when salvaging. Here's another theory on why it won't fo faster: maybe the game can't process the beam htting the blocks fast enough? Because there shouldn't be a hard cap, otherwise it would have been in the config somewhere. And it isn't, so it probably has to do with something not updating in time.

I'll do some tests tomorrow, but in the mean time you could try putting all your settings to minimum and do the tests again. Maybe that helps?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    You don't have to see the beam, you just have to count the mined blocks.
    I know, but I just think weird things happen when it is alligned like that... Anyway, I'll try tomorrow (it's late, and I don't really feel like doing tests right now).

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know, but I just think weird things happen when it is alligned like that... Anyway, I'll try tomorrow (it's late, and I don't really feel like doing tests right now).
    I did some further testing. Aligned or not doesn't make a difference, graphics quality doesn't do either.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I think that pulse is really usefulmfor asteroid mining. Compact array, fast mining, long pulse means that you can salvage an entire one in the time it takes to switch back off again.
    This totally just inspired me to make a modular dockable salvage array (slaved to pulse) controlled by logic... not as easy to use as I'd hoped, but still pretty cool :D

you rock FunnyBunny!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This totally just inspired me to make a modular dockable salvage array (slaved to pulse) controlled by logic... not as easy to use as I'd hoped, but still pretty cool :D

you rock FunnyBunny!
    Did you already notice that the beam doesn't behave like you want it to? And why did you steal my idea :p

Yeah, I too wanted to make a modular tool ship, but the bug with beam not moving with the ship kind of made me not do that. So good luck with yours! I hope the bug gets fixed soon, but in the mean time you'll just have to press C and only use the movement keys (and not turn).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    ...but in the mean time you'll just have to press C and only use the movement keys (and not turn).
    ...it's a Thanksgiving miracle! :)

and yeah... the beams don't quite work right if you want to say... move them. ah well, maybe in the next update

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...it's a Thanksgiving miracle! :)

and yeah... the beams don't quite work right if you want to say... move them. ah well, maybe in the next update
    I submitted a bug report for it, and it is in queue, but for now nobody but myself is updating that page anymore. I guess they're too busy with fixing all the other bugs.

Oh, and maybe you should build a ship that is capable of catching an asteroid? That would seriously be cool.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    ...Oh, and maybe you should build a ship that is capable of catching an asteroid? That would seriously be cool.
    ....ooooooooooo like stick the asteroid in a massive hangar bay and then just pulverize it with a logic salvage array while attempting to fly off.... this sounds like such a bad idea that I will definitely have to attempt it!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I thought about making an asteroid catcher, you could use pulsators to push it into the salvage beams...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having salvage damage related to the HP of the block is easy, the beam itself can store the data about the damage getting built up. However, it gets tricky when there are multiple salvage beams on the same block. The system would have to effeciently identify the overlap and then decide who gets the resources.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Having salvage damage related to the HP of the block is easy, the beam itself can store the data about the damage getting built up. However, it gets tricky when there are multiple salvage beams on the same block. The system would have to effeciently identify the overlap and then decide who gets the resources.
    The system currently ignores that anyway (or at least it did). It would be cool to have it be based on at least the block type. Although I must admit that once the bug with beam movement gets fixed, this system will work really well.

But what's up with the initial ticks? It says "ticks to do on initial contact with a block = 10", but then only does it with the first block in a pulse. Is that a bug or intended?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think its intended. Otherwise, in a .5 second pulse (500ms, the server ticks are 30ms, so 16 ticks) you could salvage 17 blocks once you got over 20 damage/pulse. The extra ticks are there to balance out the off-part of the cycle.

I would rather they all be visually contious.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    If I feel like it, ltmauve , I could probably make a config some time tomorrow. I am doing other things though, but I will probably use the config as a distraction then, so maybe you'll see me posting it here.

Edit: If you want to make a config yourself, here's some useful information:
    • One tick is one second.
    • To get a constant beam, set bursttime and cooldown to zero.
    The rest should be explained in the blockbehaviourconfig (that's where you'll need to go to edit it). Any text editing program will do, but if you're using windows I recommend using the free program notepad++.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    To be fair, all of my salvaging is done on servers (where I'm not admin.) Also, even the continous beams have a moment where they blink off for a frame and its anoying and feels cheap