How does it work? 1 ship & many players

Reaction score
    Simple question I think…

How should multiple players on a single ship work?

I would assume that players or crew may board a ship, the “captain” would enter the core and pilot the ship to a destination. The players or crew can walk around the interior (and exterior?) as the ship is flying.

The above is not the functionality I am experiencing in game.

1. A faction member enters the ship
    2. I fly towards our destination
    3. Faction member stays in place as the ship races away

Really????

-Runeseer

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Simple question I think…

How should multiple players on a single ship work?

I would assume that players or crew may board a ship, the “captain” would enter the core and pilot the ship to a destination. The players or crew can walk around the interior (and exterior?) as the ship is flying.

The above is not the functionality I am experiencing in game.

1. A faction member enters the ship
    2. I fly towards our destination
    3. Faction member stays in place as the ship races away

Really????

-Runeseer
    The other players need to either use a gravity block, press space to align themselves with the ship, or sit somewhere on the ship, by pressing o on the surface they want to sit on.

Reactions: Runeseer

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The other players need to either use a gravity block, press space to align themselves with the ship, or sit somewhere on the ship, by pressing o on the surface they want to sit on.
    Or they could sit in a computer/build block.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Using the spacebar near the ship will grapple to it. The character is anchored to the ship and will move with it. Pressing O does essentially the same but also has the seated avatar and preceding animation. To break the anchoring just press the key again. Using a gravity block also does this but now if you press spacebar you'll jump. To break the gravity block anchor you either have to move far enough from the structure or find a gravity block and use it to disable it. This can be done with logic as well.

Planets have naturally occurring gravity anchoring you can't break. You have to reach some sort of escape velocity and get far enough away. A gravity block placed upside down does a fun job of this. I call them Man-apults but I think the popular term right now is space elevator. You can also you the directional of gravity blocks to simulate laying down, walking in zero-g with magnetic boots, and use it to fire officers out of torpedo tubes. It's also been used to create drop ships, Tube Transport Systems, and some fun pranks that never seem to make it on to Youtube.

When not in gravity just press spacebar and you'll be attached to the closest structure you are facing and close enough to. You and the ship will move as one no matter how violently the pilot tries maneuver.

Reactions: Lidren

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I believe the sector change thingy has been fixed, and if you still are having trouble with people falling off have them grapple to your ship instead of entering the gravity.

As for things to do:

1. See this thread
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/the-figurehead-captains-log.1363/

2. Logic controlled externally docked power tanks. Basically, power tanks with multiple logic controlled beams. The advantage is it allows greater flexibillity over power generation, and since there is less need for reactors on your ship you can put more stuff there. It's really quite fun jumping around the tank, trying to keep the power tank from burning out while making sure the needs of the mothership are met. It takes some brains, you can do some math if you want, and it is really fun.

3. Drone officers. A bridge with logic controlled docking mechanisms that can fire off drones and torpedoes and whatnot.

That is about all I can think of right now.

Reaction score
    2. Logic controlled externally docked power tanks. Basically, power tanks with multiple logic controlled beams. The advantage is it allows greater flexibillity over power generation, and since there is less need for reactors on your ship you can put more stuff there. It's really quite fun jumping around the tank, trying to keep the power tank from burning out while making sure the needs of the mothership are met. It takes some brains, you can do some math if you want, and it is really fun.
    If a ship is build highly modular from the start it might be even more suitible for a crew. That way every single officer has more things to contribute and it might allow for more efficient ships in general.

For example, i have a ship in the works since like forever whereby i am trying to do exactly that.
    (Now that i think about it, i probably just using this threat as excuse to show it a bit)

The front is covered in severel shield modules. Each with ion, shield drain, shield supply and some weapons.
    It meant to be a massive tank and even before the last update (0.18999) i estimated, this roughly 400 m long ship could take about 16 mil points worth of damage, if it's finished some day.
    Provided the crew cooperates well and the theory isn't too far of from actual battle.

I think you runeseer should also try to design something especially for severel players.

Reaction score
    If a ship is build highly modular from the start it might be even more suitible for a crew. That way every single officer has more things to contribute and it might allow for more efficient ships in general.

For example, i have a ship in the works since like forever whereby i am trying to do exactly that.
    (Now that i think about it, i probably just using this threat as excuse to show it a bit)

The front is covered in severel shield modules. Each with ion, shield drain, shield supply and some weapons.
    It meant to be a massive tank and even before the last update (0.18999) i estimated, this roughly 400 m long ship could take about 16 mil points worth of damage, if it's finished some day.
    Provided the crew cooperates well and the theory isn't too far of from actual battle.

I think you runeseer should also try to design something especially for severel players.
    Awesome ship!

With the above information, I have a firm understanding of expected functionality. And yes I can now build with that in mind.

I was just missing how the crew was aligned to the ship.

Thanks all!

-Runeseer

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You mean NPCs? Not something that's possible just yet.

Reaction score
    You mean NPCs? Not something that's possible just yet.
    Initial I was asking about NPCs and Players but got the drift that NPCs were not part of the above functionality.

Still, knowing that faction members can group build and fly a ship for BS/RP reasons is neat.

-Runeseer

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You can use npcs in ships. Just command them to walk to a block in the ship. As an admin, /creature_sit works well too.