How do you feel about starmade?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I play sandbox game since a very long time ago, and bored about how they are dev without considerate other uses, but build. I think we don't use full potential of Starmade because everyone is too comfortable thinking it don't will become more.
    Starmade can have fps pvp/pve, ship pvp/pve, massive combat, pvp arenas, puzzle arenas, labyrinth battles, rpg...

So why we don't have this systems in game?
    Why we are probably stuck building 90% of time?
    Why it can't be developed thinking about create options and appliance?

I think a server with a system for ships fit in ADM rules, faction system with station rebuild option and max cap, stations vulnerable at war time, resources generation based on territory income and extractivism, timed regenerable arenas, textual interactive blocks for be used by server (rpg).

So what you guys think, are you satisfied with it only being a sandbox?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    So what you guys think, are you satisfied with it only being a sandbox?
    Everything you have listed comes under the sandbox structure of the game and are (to some extent or another) available. Granted, some of that is through modding, some other facets are through player builds. Still, I am not clear as to exactly what your arguement is.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Everything you have listed comes under the sandbox structure of the game and are (to some extent or another) available. Granted, some of that is through modding, some other facets are through player builds. Still, I am not clear as to exactly what your arguement is.
    Subjectively i said that this is in the structure.
    Create a mod spend a lot of time.
    A "base system" is faster to be modified and very much faster after learned.

My argument is about it not be easier, only few player create mods and every modder have other things to do, and some people like to play a game inside a sandbox structure.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    This review on steam speaks to me on a spiritual level.
    This is me. Literally me. No other review can come close to relating to me like this. There is no way you can convince me this is not me. This review could not possibly be anymore me. It’s me, and nobody can convince me otherwise. If anyone approached me on the topic of this not possibly being me, then I immediately shut them down with overwhelming evidence that this review is me. This review is me, it is indisputable. Why anyone would try to argue that this review is not me is beyond me. If you held two pictures of me and this review side by side, you’d see no difference. I can safely look at this review every day and say “Yup, that’s me”. I can practically see this review every time I look at myself in the mirror. I go outside and people stop me to comment how similar I look and act to this review. I chuckle softly as I’m assured everyday this review is me in every way. I can smile each time I get out of bed every morning knowing that I’ve found my identity with this review and I know my place in this world. It’s really quite funny how similar this review is to me, it’s almost like we’re identical twins. When I first saw this review, I had an existential crisis. What if this review was the real me and I was the fictional being. What if this review actual became aware of my existence? Did this review have the ability to become self aware itself?

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    It's beautiful. Perfectly sculpted, just the right amounts of the right things, you can see the result of hard work and determination in the product, and it's all wrapped in the most delicious bread you've ever seen. This is definitely the best ham sandwich I've ever made.

Starmade on the other hand, screams alpha and unfinished concepts.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    And what about reading these nice devblogs ? Ah yeah... It's known that devblogs are too long and full of lies :rolleyes:

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    And what about reading these nice devblogs ? Ah yeah... It's known that devblogs are too long and full of lies :rolleyes:
    The Dev blogs are actually great, this is the first time since I've started playing starmade that they actually seem to be building up steam.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The Dev blogs are actually great, this is the first time since I've started playing starmade that they actually seem to be building up steam.
    I said this to the OP, as he seems to not even knowing the Universe update or Astronaut equipment which will be added later. And the fact we're in alpha. As always for this kind of topics o_O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I like the game but I'm also a bit frustrated and bored at its current state and the relatively small community. But it's an incomplete game and my expectations need to be set accordingly. The game is not finished and the dev team is small, so I play the game for a bit after big updates to see what's changed and then I go do other things for weeks or months until the next big update. Probably my biggest issue right now is community, it's not fun for me to play on servers that have maybe 3 active members who are never online at the same time.

I'm fairly confident StarMade will grow up into an amazing game as the final features get put into place and the player community starts to grow.

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    I really enjoy the game but I wish they would fix the bugs as the devs added features/blocks/etc. I wish there were scroll bars for text and the explosions were animated, but it's really good other than those and a few other minor issues.

Reactions: Sabrewulf
    Reaction score
    I know everyone gets really board when the devs do dull stuff like improve game performance and fixing bugs instead of adding new features, but I actually like that. I've played early access games where all the devs did was add new features all the time, and all that happens is the game becomes unplayable because it crashes constantly and lags like hell. The devs at least keep what we have playable while they work on new stuff.

I'd rather wait for updates that work than have a ton of rushed, buggy, lagy features.

Captain Skwidz said:
    I really enjoy the game but I wish they would fix the bugs as the devs added features/blocks/etc.
    We could do a lot worse ;)

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm of two minds. The creativity is great. I want to see more options for fun play. However, I can see where the devs want to take gameplay development slowly. Why? They created a racing gate system specifically so that players could enjoy a whole new play style within Starmade. It could have been TORCS in space! (I have seen racing in Starmade on Youtube and it looks fun.) It just needed significant development.

Hardly anybody used it. When people saw how underdeveloped it was, they lost interest fast. :schema: :(

It just doesn't seem worth the effort to implement new gameplay options when the community appears so critical and demanding.

Also, I have wanted a mod scripting system integrated into the game, but Schine has said it must wait until the game is more fully developed. Which is backwards, when you realize that a mod scripting system can be used by the devs themselves to prototype new gameplay ideas lightning-fast, without needing the attention of the core developer. Not to mention the potential for integrating community mods into the core gameplay if those mods are good enough and generic enough for the vanilla game. (Think: converting a Lua mod into Java for faster processing and smoother gameplay.)

Scripted mods don't have to be just gameplay concepts like space-football. They can also provide utility libraries and algorithms for correcting common problems.

Want to remove Alpha stations from sectors near the spawn area? A mod could have done that. Want to make the factory system more or less complex? A mod could have done that. Want to make a delayed-multiple-launch missile system without laggy logic? A mod could have done that. Want to set up dynamic auto-kicking and auto-banning rules? A mod could have done that.

Reactions: Sabrewulf
    Reaction score
    Which is backwards, when you realize that a mod scripting system can be used by the devs themselves to prototype new gameplay ideas lightning-fast, without needing the attention of the core developer.
    What if changes he makes breaks existing scripts? I think that's an added responsibility he doesn't want quite yet, it makes sense to me to leave it for a time where Starmade's design is stable (like in a beta phase).

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What if changes he makes breaks existing scripts? I think that's an added responsibility he doesn't want quite yet, it makes sense to me to leave it for a time where Starmade's design is stable (like in a beta phase).
    Same thing as breaking ship designs with a new grouping algorithm. It's up to the scripter/builder to fix his own stuff. It shouldn't burden Schine in the slightest, beyond documenting the change. It's important to choose an existing, well-documented language for scripting, so that the burden falls on the script-writer to educate themselves with publicly-available information. Scripting can probably help the game reach Beta faster, benefiting the players. Therefore, waiting until Beta to implement scripting, again, strikes me as backwards.

Most of the core stuff in scripting can be stabilized quite early. An int is an int is an int. A string is a string is a string. A float is a float is a float. Major hooks, like block interfaces, inventory management, global and local 3-axis rotations, and global and local 3-axis coordinates won't change much. So the changes that a script needs can be tiny, and a very small effort, compared to the heavy lifting of initially building the script.

Compared with the immense and immediate benefits of using a well-documented scripting language, the pitfalls are manageable.

Reaction score
    It's a good idea, but one they don't want to do right now, since it would take away from what they're focusing on.

It's kind of like when I go ahead and plan my weekend out, you know. mow the lawn, oil change for both cars, brake job on one of them, then I'll go and pay the bills, and afterwards ill go spend a few hours at the range. This has been no secret. I spent a month coordinating and saving my $$ for this.

THEN my girlfriend comes up and says "we should taken the kids to the beach today!"

I enjoy the beach. I love my girlfriend, and my kids. I wen enjoy spending time with them. It's a good idea.

But I *planned* everything else, and it took me a long time to bring it together and it all has to get done and now I'm expected to just drop everything I'm doing to focus on yet another thing, and at least one of those pre-planned things is gonna get put on hold...

I know that's oddly specific.

Anyway, they wanna wait till beta to add support, and it's their call. It would be nice now, sure, but c'mon. You know it'll break at some point lol.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    How do I feel about StarMade?

To be honest, I'm very concerned for the future of the game but still cautiously optimistic.

Originally, I saw StarMade as one of the most revolutionary games I had ever seen. I saw it as having the potential to be every game I ever wanted; all rolled into one and thus, the last game I ever played. I still enjoy the freedom of creation and customization and I look forward to Schine's updates but the limitations of the current incarnation of the game have become painfully apparent.

We have plenty of nice features that were great ideas (planets, NPCs, chain docking, etc) but they all cause severe performance issues (especially in multiplayer) that cause them to be infrequently used except in very limited capacities. With so little PVE content available, players become obsessed with PVP and leave little to no room for other play styles. The PVP tends to follow a "bigger is better" ideology, encouraging regional strip mining, giantism and anti-giantism exploits. This is further fueled by ludicrously high mining bonuses set on multiplayer servers.

There are a LOT of space sandbox building games coming out of the wood works these days. StarMade has a good head start and I want to see them succeed. I'm hopeful that Schine will fix the NPCs, planets and power to give us the opportunity to do something other than mine asteroids and shoot other players.

A game like this has almost limitless potential. I don't want to see it run out of that potential before I run out of mine.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I still think Starmade is by far the best voxel sandbox space game. No other game comes anywhere close to the scale of ships you can construct and have stable combat in. Starmade has some incredible depth in system construction, even without going into all the emergent exploit tech. I have high hopes for the future of the game. I hope they can work out some of the big kinks it has. The current state of the game leaves much to be desired with how much it encourages laggier builds because they are more effective, but I think they can iron these out.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I have to echo Lecic's main sentiment: Starmade is by far the best voxel sandbox space game.

I've tried many, if not all, of the others at this point. Some have potential. Some have stuff that StarMade should borrow, be it UI or dohickies in game or whatever. But none of them are as far along, as solid, as StarMade.

I paid Schine after watching a roommate play StarMade, and I'm content to wait for the game's main planned features to become complete. People seem to be talking about building spaceships like it's a bad thing. That's weird.