how do the factions configs work?

Reaction score
    Hello everybody, i was just playing around with some config files in my server when i found the customfactionconfig and npcspawnconfig xml's

I hadnt realized i could make such changes to factions/npc spawning so i was hoping you could help me out with some of the less obvious things i can do with these.

First, in the npcspawnconfig.xml file, it seems mostly explanatory so i tried making a faction but there is a "<PossiblePresets>" Field that im unsure of, as the default factions just have their own name there, so what presets are there? is there another file this refers to? and do i need to populate this value?

Now customfactionconfig.xml got me more curious, as there is a bit more options and a bit less description.
    so i will list some fields that i am unsure of in hopes you can better explain all that they effect
    "<SetInactiveAfterHours>48" is this just how long until a faction member is considered "inactive"?
    "<FactionPointDeathProtectionMinutes>10" what is this? to keep you from constantly losing FP if you are dieing over and over within 10 mins apart?
    "<IncomeExpensePeriodMinutes>60" what even is this?
    then a few from the <FactionPointSpending> section
    "<BasicFlatCost>1" ??
    "<SpentAbsoluteForDeath>2" ??
    "<SpentForDeathMultByMemberCount>2" ??

is this all there is for faction/npc settings or is there more i can add? I've noticed your supposed to use the factions' blueprints folders to customise what ships they use, but is there a way to influence what chances each ship spawns? for example, im noticing alot of small ships and none of the bigger ships they can spawn, but if i remove their smaller ships then they get pretty overwhelming fast. i want it so their not just spawning a ton of their smallest ship and maybe 2 or 3 other ships
    Thanks for any help :D

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    [...]there is a "<PossiblePresets>" Field that im unsure of, as the default factions just have their own name there, so what presets are there? is there another file this refers to? and do i need to populate this value?
    Iirc, this is the name of the directory inside data/npcFactions/ (usually named after the faction) which contains blueprints and an additional configuration file.

Now customfactionconfig.xml got me more curious, as there is a bit more options and a bit less description.
    so i will list some fields that i am unsure of in hopes you can better explain all that they effect
    "<SetInactiveAfterHours>48" is this just how long until a faction member is considered "inactive"?
    Yes.
    "<FactionPointDeathProtectionMinutes>10" what is this? to keep you from constantly losing FP if you are dieing over and over within 10 mins apart?
    Yes.
    "<IncomeExpensePeriodMinutes>60" what even is this?
    How long a "turn" last. Basically, after each "turn" you'll gain a certain amount of faction points (depending on active/online members), and will have to spend some (depending on controlled systems).
    then a few from the <FactionPointSpending> section
    "<BasicFlatCost>1" ??
    You always pay 1FP per turn (+other costs)
    "<SpentAbsoluteForDeath>2" ??
    You always pay 2FP per player death (unless he's being spawn-killed of course, +other costs)
    "<SpentForDeathMultByMemberCount>2" ??
    You spend 2 additional FP by faction member per player death (+previous costs).

(this is mostly inferred informations from wikis and names, I haven't really tested it myself)

is this all there is for faction/npc settings or is there more i can add? I've noticed your supposed to use the factions' blueprints folders to customise what ships they use, but is there a way to influence what chances each ship spawns? for example, im noticing alot of small ships and none of the bigger ships they can spawn, but if i remove their smaller ships then they get pretty overwhelming fast. i want it so their not just spawning a ton of their smallest ship and maybe 2 or 3 other ships
    Thanks for any help :D
    In data/npcFactions/[preset_name] there is a npcConfig.xml file. At the top of that file are the necessary settings to control the distribution of ships in the npc faction fleet. It also contains some settings to control how the faction behaves toward other factions and how often their status is updated.