How do I turn on Whitelisting for the server?

Reaction score
    I am running a dedicated server (windows.bat) and using the server commands "/whitelist_activate true" which sets the "USE_WHITELIST = true" setting in server.cfg.

My problem is that when I whitelist a player name I can still connect to the server with any player name I want instead of only being able to log on using the whitelisted name. I have also tried to whitelist an account and whitelist an IP but I can still log on using anything.

What am I doing wrong?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Make someone admin, if no-one is defined as admin the file, everyone is admin

Reaction score
    • Tester
    It might be that those admin commands are bugged in someway (there is/was a problem with setting people to admin from inside the game).

search for the server.cfg in your starmade install folder and open it with a notepad

Change the lines

USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //allow star-made.org authentication
    REQUIRE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION = true //require star-made.org authentication (USE_STARMADE_AUTHENTICATION must be true)
    USE_WHITELIST = true //only names/ips from whitelist.txt are allowed

then also open admins.txt and whitelist.txt
    add your own playername (ingame name you want to use for your admin) into both of them

write all that back and restart the server.
    than you have to log into your server once with your uplinked authentification and your playername choosen to be admin.

Reaction score
    How do you setup, the vote/reward that I see on some servers. Like for instance redshift, gives a reward through !reward_credits or !reward_items after they have voted on starmade-servers. Also been trying to figure out how to bring up the Server Message box, so ppl who join see the rules. I been just playing around with admin commands and editing server.cfg for the most part to learn on hand how to do some things. But those two are the ones I'm really curious about.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The !Reward system uses a wrapper from what I know, which is like a scripted bot with admin that automatically enters commands depending on what was said into chat (reads the chat logs or something I presume). So upon entering !Reward_credits the bot would check for the username on a checklist of names awaiting rewards, autofill the /give_credit command and then edit the checklist or something.

The message that shows when you start up a game is probably taken from the " Server-message.txt " file in the starmade folder (just in the base folder).

Reaction score
    Ah alright cool. Was wondering about that, how to bring up a message box every-time you join a server. So I'm guessing I have to have a .php file and have it run in the background while the server is running for script bot, to tell folks to vote and receive rewards via entering the command in-game, after they have successfully voted.