How did you find Starmade + What got you hooked?

How did you get introduced to Starmade?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    /vg/ Videogame Generals. It was /svgg/, Space Voxel Game General, but they spend all their time talking about Space Engineers these days.
    Really? I never really browse /vg/ but I didn't think they would discuss it. And I NEVER would have thought Schema would browse 4chan.

Goes to show. I guess if it worked for Notch...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    /svgg/ was mostly Starmade related until SE started getting a decent amount of updates in. I think most of the /vg/ users got a bit burnt out on Starmade. Also, with a lot of the /svgg/ guys coming from Corneroids, the superior physics of SE likely appealed more.

But yeah, Schema (seemed to) take ideas from our threads and implement them, and fix shit that was posted in there. On occasion we got advance information on updates. I bet he still lurks.

Reaction score
    My brother told me that he and his gang found a new game which was like Minecraft, but in space.

What got me hooked?
    SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My friend introduced StarMade to me, my guess would be he found the game via Youtube.

He then set up a server and we started playing. I grasped the concept of building large things fairly slow, "build a ship we can walk in!" -> "what block does that?" Nonetheless, I ended up playing through the night, wandering from store to store, buying any hull (and other) blocks I could find, slowly building up a ship that back then felt enormous. The truest sensation of limitless space to explore, in your own ship that you have to maintain in order to survive, is what got me hooked.

In the days following that night I learned more and more about all the features, including basics of system efficiency and catalog. All the knowledge robbed away that first night's unique fascination that I haven't since felt again. Days, weeks, months, soon a year? While I still enjoy building ships, at times I yearn for that initial wonder of wandering through the endless space, not knowing what I'd find if I just went far enough, while also desperately scavenging scarce resources to survive. This is the experience I once more wish to feel in StarMade.

Funny enough, the friend soon lost interest and stopped playing. The lack of content drove him away, while I had my love for spaceships to keep me going even without any real goals to achieve or adventures to experience. Nowadays I keep playing for the social touch, waiting for patches.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Found it series a video uploaded by 'hocgaming' and 'EnterElysium'

Last edited:

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I've got my friend and comrade @TFBundy to thank for all of this; he introduced me to the game back when building something a hundred meters in any direction was considered a big ship and the only server running was the one being hosted off of Schema's computer. I have and always will adore games that can put you in a group that has a purpose and let you work towards that purpose in your own way. Seeing your progress... The glorious trophies and intriguing treaties... Minecraft captured this well, but never really developed on the whole idea of group play very well.
    Over a few weeks I got into the groove of Starmade and became really excited about helping develop this game and having a portion of my ideas be implemented and improve the game.

Reaction score
    Years ago my friends had gotten me into WoW and a few months ago we all started dropping off, at least until the next expansion. I'd been craving something to do IN SPAAACE, and searched around for space based games and StarMade was among them. As an artist, the opportunity to create most anything and fly it through space, do battle, colonize, etc. really appealed to me. After watching a mess of youtube StarMade videos of what was possible, I dove in and been here ever since.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There was a youtube video about upcoming space sims. It was mentioned that StarMade was free, so yeah.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Jamziboy made a video. I saw a space ship, thought "What the hell...?" and clicked it. I was then shocked and amazed to see a voxel building game in SPACE.

Downloaded it that day, bought it a few months later.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I too hitched a ride on the Yogtrain. Saw how versatile the game was and how limitless the possibilities were and fell in love. Made a video of my ship, started making videos of other people's ships, and now I'm here almost a year later and still loving the game.

Reactions: JimmyJamba

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I found this by chance, played it and it was far too unstable and crashy on that pc so I forgot about it. When I saw the Yogscast do their first video, I decided it must be worth a second shot, and know I spend silly amounts of time and money here :)

Reaction score
    Started getting bored of Minecraft, but loved the idea of block-based games. So I went and googled some alternatives and here I am ;)
    So, I messed around in Singleplayer. It got boring by myself, started up a server, and now it's always fun to have a war to test my ships with.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    FCforums. I think I did find it earlier than that when looking for an alternative for Mc's Zepplin mod on a downgraded client, but I didn't really play it until may/june last year.

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    I used to be a Minecraft addict, then I wanted more. I wanted Minecraft in space, I googled Minecraft in space, I found Starmade.

Everything I ever wanted out of Minecraft is what Starmade was, is and will be.
    That feeling has been going strong for over a year now.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Someone mentioned it as a Gamemode for a Minecraft server (Yeah... that was gunna happen...) I googled it, and have loved the game ever since ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I built a lot of spaceships in MC, and a friend sent me the Yogscast video, and I was like "MY DREAM GAME"

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I'm ashamed to say this but I used to watch the Yogscast, that's how I found it. I always loved Space and blowing things up, when I first played it it was a glitchy unplayable mess and I lost interest quickly but I have kept coming back as I really wanted something to come out of it instead of just being another indie alpha forgotten and abandoned. Recently I played the game again and was very impressed by progress, so I made an account here and I am currently trying ti integrate myself into the community (no easy task for someone as arrogant, self-centred and dislikeable as me :P).
    [DOUBLEPOST=1421331869,1421331829][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I'm ashamed to say this but I used to watch the Yogscast, that's how I found it. I always loved Space and blowing things up, when I first played it it was a glitchy unplayable mess and I lost interest quickly but I have kept coming back as I really wanted something to come out of it instead of just being another indie alpha forgotten and abandoned. Recently I played the game again and was very impressed by progress, so I made an account here and I am currently trying ti integrate myself into the community (no easy task for someone as arrogant, self-centred and dislikeable as me :p).
    Bollocks, I hope this doesn't count as thread necromancy, sorry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.