Horrible Lag

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I regularly play stuff with someone in the EU (I'm on the west coast of the US) and when he's running a server my ping is about 150-250. In Starmade though, my ping is constantly spiking to 3000+ (it got to 21000 at one point). Neither of us have any ideas of what's causing it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Most cases that caused pings to skyrocket are when 2 objects are stuck into each other so the collision tests/physics go bananas. Schema is recently on constant crusade against those buggers, but they still might show up or even stay from before a fix (my guess, not sure if schema implemented code to fix them).

An ingame ping of 21000 is most definatly fucked up physics.

Reaction score
    The physics engine, AI Errors and an overload of AI, and logging in and out are all causes for temporary spikes. We run a US West server and this is not uncommon especially with large ships that cause the physics engine to scream, especially when its not leveled out and something is trying to dock on it.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Yeah, I can confirm this. Super ping is caused by the server being overloaded or in a semi-crashed state (spamming errors, etc)

I\'ll do my best to increase stability and over all perfromance.

I have an update in the works (will take a little) that will cut down network load by seperating out updates for players that don\'t have to be sent