Hopes for a Better Tomorrow

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Here's hoping the update tomorrow has the cargo and/or crew stuff in it.

I'd like to see what kind of requirements those are going to take so I can start partitioning up the insides of my new stuff.

Reaction score
    Should we start sacrificing small mice and rats to the cat God now?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Cargo is most likely in it, it seems like the smallest change and is marked as inprogress in the trello

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Cargo is most likely in it, it seems like the smallest change and is marked as inprogress in the trello
    Yeah, I'm currently hoping that we get Cargo tomorrow, and Crew in the update after that.

Personal pet theory on that is that the cargo space designators are going to be floor blocks like the Transporters are, as are the crew area designation blocks. So we start with Transporters that let you load/unload things (and they don't work with just people, we've tested it on things like warheads, you can totally beam an active warhead onto someone's ship). Then move to cargo that basically "beams" cargo blocks in as you need them and have a computer that "beams" cargo back out and puts it in your inventory. Then finally have the crew come in and you designate what that particular crewman does by using a crew quarters computer to link to a job computer just like you do two transporters currently.

Least thats my theory on how its gonna go down, we'll see if I'm right or not tomorrow!

Reactions: Asvarduil

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    (and they don't work with just people, we've tested it on things like warheads, you can totally beam an active warhead onto someone's ship).
    what? I just tried to beam a ship core across a entity and it doesn't work, how are you doing this?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well I was told by a friend of mine that they transported a warhead, and I had no reason to doubt him, and was too busy eating a planet for the mats for my new station to do it myself...

I'm going to have to try it for myself when I get home. Maybe he dropped a warhead block on the transporter and beamed it? Maybe I missunderstood when he said he beamed a warhead and just assumed he meant that he beamed it in a usable manner.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Guys, don't get ahead of yourselves. Tomorrow is just bugfixes; the update that's supposed to come on the 20-something-th is the cargo update. Next week, though, and moreso the week after, keep an eye out for new dev builds. You never know. ;)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    but... but...

lots of dev builds! they've got to be working on something

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yes, they are working on something. Ever notice how unstable servers have been recently? Schema, and the testers, and server owners have been working together just trying to get the game to stop constantly nuking itself. Also, bugs like the odd problem with beams hitting entities behind what you are targeting are gonna be fixed for Friday, supposedly.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Cargo won't be tomorrow, tomorrow is purely bug fixing and balancing. However cargo is definitely on the cards for the update after that. We recognize that players will want to start planning so we'll be putting out a dev blog tomorrow explaining our plans for cargo and what you need to know to start getting prepared now.

Crew is a lot more complicated. It's not just overhauling NPCs and factions but also adding in systems that are completely new to the game so it will have to spread out over several releases. I'll say now that crew management and defining quarters won't be block based.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Cargo won't be tomorrow, tomorrow is purely bug fixing and balancing. However cargo is definitely on the cards for the update after that. We recognize that players will want to start planning so we'll be putting out a dev blog tomorrow explaining our plans for cargo and what you need to know to start getting prepared now.

Crew is a lot more complicated. It's not just overhauling NPCs and factions but also adding in systems that are completely new to the game so it will have to spread out over several releases. I'll say now that crew management and defining quarters won't be block based.
    Are you fixing the beam range bug yet perchance? It's been a pet peeve bug for months now and I know some stuff was done to raycasting recently.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Are you fixing the beam range bug yet perchance? It's been a pet peeve bug for months now and I know some stuff was done to raycasting recently.
    That was supposed to be - partially - fixed last update...

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm just excited for server stability, although the cargo thing sounds like loads of fun. And Bench said that the crew and quarters system won't be block based, but what about cargo? Making storage areas block based would be pretty prohibitive on smaller ships and miners just by the simple fact that more blocks = a larger ship. Just a thought.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    In the particular example of our ships, Jstenholt, we DO have great big unused cargo bays... at the moment we call them shuttlebays because we haven't put teleporters in yet. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was honestly expecting that the 6th was a typo and the next update was going to be the 16th. The 16th would be two weeks from the last update.

Glad I was wrong.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Tomorrow's update will be hotfixes, I don't really expect any new features in it.

You'd need a miracle to implement two extensive and game changing features in four days :P

Last edited:

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We recognize that players will want to start planning so we'll be putting out a dev blog tomorrow explaining our plans for cargo and what you need to know to start getting prepared now.
    Yup, thats exactly the kind of thing I'd like to know, as I've already started retrofitting old stuff and building new stuff for it.

Things like "You need to use this new block for floors, and cargo can stack X blocks high" kind of thing so we can plan out the new bays will be very helpful.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm just excited for server stability, although the cargo thing sounds like loads of fun. And Bench said that the crew and quarters system won't be block based, but what about cargo? Making storage areas block based would be pretty prohibitive on smaller ships and miners just by the simple fact that more blocks = a larger ship. Just a thought.
    Well, the cargo itself is already block based, so small miners are going to have to get bigger regardless.

Your miner is going to have to have cargo storage space, its going to have to have more thrusters since cargo has mass and a filled bay will make your ship heavier... the days of being able to just fly a power and salvage module skeleton miner are pretty much gonna be gone except for the very smallest of scales that dumps everything into your inventory, and the stack limits are going to hit that pretty hard as well.