Hiding ship core spam in the new update.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With the upcoming build we will be seeing our navigation screens getting cluttered with giant amounts of ship parts. You will be seeing many ships with names like DoorLeft1 and ElevatorA. And since they are considered individual ships they cannot be filtered without removing all ships together. I am rather curious how missle targeting would handle this as well as server performance.

A few ideas to take care of this:
    Ideally a simple Pilot block would be required to enter pilot mode on a ship, and than only those pilot blocks would appear in navigation charts. Or a variation on a faction block could serve this purpose as well for stations and structures.

An alternative option would be to have a new block that is a ship core that cannot generate power but does not appear on the navigation charts. You would use this for all the moving parts you want to make.

And a final option would be to make it so that you can slave your cores to one master Ship Core. Only the master ship core would appear on navigation charts or have the square around it when viewing a ship in flying mode.

Just some food for thought.

Reactions: Lecic and Asvarduil

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The new rail blocks would probably get filters like Docked or Turret used to be (those are technically being redone, so rail bits will count as "Docked" I assume, since they are indeed attached to the main ship). There should also be some degree of shield sharing, so you wont be able to blow off an elevator with a missile that wouldn't lock right.

If anything, it's useful because now it gets a tad harder to just core drill with Lockon/Swarm missiles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would have no problem with this either. I just know my experimenting sector is a minefield of ship cores.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I really want there to be some way that we could do without all the cores for parts. Like if rail dockers themselves could be considered a separate entity when placed directly on a rail block of another entity, and have the indicator masked from players. Eliminating the need for a core and all the jumping around you need to do to connect things. It would feel a lot more streamlined that way and make it easier to miniaturize joints further.

Reaction score
    I'm thinking it would be best to create a new "part" type entity with a rail docker instead of a core. For that to work the docker would have to be enterable like a computer. It would also probably be necessary to disallow thrusters on said entity to prevent players from making "stealth" ships out of it, but that would make them a pain to position.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm thinking it would be best to create a new "part" type entity with a rail docker instead of a core. For that to work the docker would have to be enterable like a computer. It would also probably be necessary to disallow thrusters on said entity to prevent players from making "stealth" ships out of it, but that would make them a pain to position.
    Go build mode, and "select a not docked Part" from nearby (=inside ship's boundary box)
    -> Gets you in "Part build mode" where you can just select the docker.
    Editing the part (except turning the docker) requires a build block.
    -> Now select your main ship (2nd recursion) or a docked entity and place a docker on a rail
    -> Gets you docked.​

Like, anyone?