Heres My Take Of The New Power System

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is probably my first post on the forums (i have a horrible memory) sorry if its horribly constructed.

So i'm sure we have all seen the giant power overhaul thread and its many complications and many of them gave me a few ideas on how i think the proposed power system could be better.

1. Instead of one bar for heat i think that bar should be broken into two pieces:
    • Safe Heat Levels, this would be a level of heat tolerable for the ship's reactors and going over such would begin to fill the second bar.
      • in Safe Heat Levels reactors would not create heat boundaries
      • you could make the level of which it goes into overheat larger through the use of other blocks like the chambers suggested in the original proposal, there could also be a reworked version of the Aux block which is a coolant injector allowing for a period of heat reduction Ex. reducing the produced heat by 1/3 (the Coolant injectors could also be a possible counter to a meltdown stopping the damage but still destroying the reactor block)
    • Overheat, this bar would fill if you pass the lower bar and at high enough heat would begin to cause system damage
      • when in overheat reactors would begin to create a heat boundary and slowly take damage, the higher your heat climbs the larger the boundary is and the more self damage it inflicts (this would also make losing a reactors a major thing because you would lose a lot of your heat management)
      • Optional: if your heat where to reach the maximum it would enter a forced safe mode where everything shuts down for a period of time
      • Optional: if your heat were to ever reach the maximum it would begin a reactor meltdown causing lots of internal damage around the reactor and destroying the reactor itself (like how Aux blocks explode when shot)
    2. Instead of generating heat upon firing/using a system, systems generate constant heat
    • This one is simple every system now creates a base heat amount when on
      • systems would have the ability of being shut down like effect systems which could be handled through a menu accessed by holding a key and clicking which systems you want on and off, maybe turning systems on and off could be handled through logic systems (maybe the addition of a block that detects hostiles in a certain radius of your ship)
      • when being turned on systems would have a small spooling time before they can be used something like 3-5 or so seconds
    3. There should be a maximum amount of reactors
    • if the amount of reactors where limited it would make them into a strategic asset and protecting them would be very important since losing one would mean you lose a large amount of your heat management(it might also replace some of the lost complexity when switching from the current system of power to this version if that ever happens)
    • although not this points primary objective(it being to make the placement of reactors more strategic and valuable) it might also limit the size of ships a little due to having a more limited amount of reactors
    • this would allow for an easier implementation of fuel since there would only be a small number of reactors per ship
    • stations would also have more reactors than ships, something like ships having 3 and stations having 5-6
    4. Concerns over turrets generating heat
    • this could be managed through a new menu and making it so you could allow the mother ship to take the heat from docked entities so large turrets could be completely independent but things like AMS turrets would still use the mother ship for their heat management
    5. Some side thoughts
    • during the implementation of this system(if it does happen and if its this version) would probably be the best time to implement fuel into the game since this reactor system is centered around one block reactors with extra bits stuck on the sides like chambers and other forms of heat dispersion
    • there could be a new "form" of detection revolving around your total heat
    Well i think that is everything i had for my idea hopefully everyone on the forums can help refine it more.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wow I thought there would be some discussion here based on the topic but it dead quiet.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You're a little late to the races this subject has been beaten like a red headed stepchild, but I like idea 1 with its monitoring of systems but #2 should be based on system usage ie weapon firing and needing cooldown and #3 there should be no limits on reactors except too many will impact the heat disapation of each other with the turrets adding to this complexity. Maybe as a community we should focus on what design changes we will need to make and maybe the devs will use some of our ideas for once. Ya a massive brain storm of the ideal ship design and they can tell us if it's on the right trac or not instead of everybody rage quiting. I put a like as the general principals are there but need fine tuning.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is how I see it:
    1 main reactor = unmanned drones
    2 main reactors = shuttle / manned craft
    3 main reactors = mass transports / city ships/stations
    +1 main reactors for military/expensive craft for extra reliability (only if not for commercial reasons)
    +1 for being a station, depending on complexity (special, multipurpose)

(Note: Not all main reactors need to run all the time, but emergency reactors are extra to what is needed and only support core systems)

And personally, I would use shuttle reactors for emergency life-support and kick-starting the Enterprise's warp core.
    And the stupid sci-fi never thinks about using the shuttle to supplement the main ship energy during combat either.​

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You're a little late to the races this subject has been beaten like a red headed stepchild, but I like idea 1 with its monitoring of systems but #2 should be based on system usage ie weapon firing and needing cooldown and #3 there should be no limits on reactors except too many will impact the heat disapation of each other with the turrets adding to this complexity. Maybe as a community we should focus on what design changes we will need to make and maybe the devs will use some of our ideas for once. Ya a massive brain storm of the ideal ship design and they can tell us if it's on the right trac or not instead of everybody rage quiting. I put a like as the general principals are there but need fine tuning.
    yea i guess i was a little late but i thought since it was really different than all the other modifications of the power system it would bring up a new discusion
    about #2 perhaps there could be a low power status and a combat power status where if the weapon is fired/used it jumps up for a while and then goes back down if its not on cooldown and has not been used for a number of seconds after the cooldown has finished
    about #3 the reason i wanted to limit the amount of reactors was to maks them more important as losing one would take alot of your heat away because as i see it now the current reactors are not that important in the sense that because they are based on xyz they are everywhere on you ship so trying to be tactical during combat and targeting a reactor isnt really possible

Reactions: terra mining corp.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm hopeing that the actual reactor location won't be readily visable cause it would be the old core shot days again,and that was no fun.Besides it sounds like the reactors would be heavily shielded so to not fry systems.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm hopeing that the actual reactor location won't be readily visable cause it would be the old core shot days again,and that was no fun.Besides it sounds like the reactors would be heavily shielded so to not fry systems.
    like i mentioned in the original post its hidden from everyone but the person that made it which adds opporunities for more things like scanning systems and intel gathering, like a thermal camera that shows the hottest locations in a ship but you could have decoys and other blocks to hide the true location of a reactor

Reactions: terra mining corp.