Help: systems in big AI drones?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    What about docking a ship with active scanner to another ship and then undocking it? Will the scanner be still active after undocking?
    So far I haven't tried that; as my new carrier is still in its early development stages. I'll give it a try tonight when I get back from work.

Something to note; Schine stated that docked ships will have their reactors shut off. However, like turrets, there is a possibility that the docked ships will stay active and simply draw on the main ship's power. If this is the case, then it would be a good idea to give your carrier/mother-ship additional power to support the fighters' chamber systems.

Someone will most likely post the answer before I get back but I'll test it anyway; even if only as confirmation.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So far I haven't tried that; as my new carrier is still in its early development stages. I'll give it a try tonight when I get back from work.

Something to note; Schine stated that docked ships will have their reactors shut off. However, like turrets, there is a possibility that the docked ships will stay active and simply draw on the main ship's power. If this is the case, then it would be a good idea to give your carrier/mother-ship additional power to support the fighters' chamber systems.

Someone will most likely post the answer before I get back but I'll test it anyway; even if only as confirmation.
    Can't confirm regarding usability of docked scanners but docked ships definitely suck at mother's teet, and hard.

So much so that it resulted in a complete scrap of my first attempt at a new stand-alone light carrier for drone miners based on my old Monk. I had left about 40% power available, but on docking 6 drones was rendered completely useless. And of course since reactors can only be re-fit so far now before forcing you to completely overhaul a ship I was ruined.

You will need very substantial amounts of additional power for carriers. And yet, oddly enough, when I un-dock from a station I think my stuff all cycles up as if it wasn't drawing maintenance power the entire time.
    [doublepost=1533131254,1533129950][/doublepost]
    - Ships saved to BP with chamber systems turned on will spawn with these systems turned on.
    I can also confirm this. Tested repeatedly with no-lockon micro-fighters.

Reactions: Dr. Whammy
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    You will need very substantial amounts of additional power for carriers.

Yeah, the inactive power consumption of weapons on non-turret docked entities is annoying. - Or is it something else too?

This made me wonder weather shield rechargers add extra power load when docked? - They certainly shouldn't, given that they're disabled when docked (now even some shield-tanking titan can be hurt by even a pistol if there's any part of it sticking out of its station's shield bubble, lol).

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Yeah, the inactive power consumption of weapons on non-turret docked entities is annoying. - Or is it something else too?

This made me wonder weather shield rechargers add extra power load when docked? - They certainly shouldn't, given that they're disabled when docked (now even some shield-tanking titan can be hurt by even a pistol if there's any part of it sticking out of its station's shield bubble, lol).
    A line of inquiry worth testing.
    I haven't tried to isolate docked various power draws yet - currently elbow-deep into exploring the modular capabilities of the new systems.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Docked ships do shut down their onboard reactor and all chambers should also cease function, but i last played with that in a dev build like a month ago.

Shields do remain active and protect the ship theyre installed on (ive tested this with turrets i designed with their own light shielding in the base) and its docks/turrets while docked and weapons do draw power; so your station needs to be able to supply enough power to run your titans' shields and weapons passive recharge if you cant fit it in your stations shield bubble.

It looks like the shields protection priority, as in whose shields take damage first, goes from; overall parent->its docks->their docks. So the mother ships shields take damage first, then the docks shields will take damage.

Its good to know active chambers will remain that way though

Btw, your finished drone looks amazing!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Docked ships do shut down their onboard reactor and all chambers should also cease function, but i last played with that in a dev build like a month ago.

Shields do remain active and protect the ship theyre installed on (ive tested this with turrets i designed with their own light shielding in the base) and its docks/turrets while docked and weapons do draw power; so your station needs to be able to supply enough power to run your titans' shields and weapons passive recharge if you cant fit it in your stations shield bubble.

It looks like the shields protection priority, as in whose shields take damage first, goes from; overall parent->its docks->their docks. So the mother ships shields take damage first, then the docks shields will take damage.

Thanks for sharing this info, nice to know that they brought back another necessary shield mechanic along with the under-fire recharge.

Very useful piece of tech wisdom when designing stations (doesn't need extra shield bubbles at its docking ports; but needs some extra power for its docked stuff's on-board shields; gotcha).

And thanks, happy to hear you find the finished version of my new drone ship appealing... I can only hope it will also perform well-enough when deployed in swarms when my yet-to-be-started alien station will be attacked :^D

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9

This is some of the most useful info I've seen post weapons 2.0. Thanks for sharing.