Help Smedit

Reaction score
    Plop !

I post here because I found nothing else; Here is my problem :
    I finished my new Corvette model and try to import it on SmEdit and there he puts me this error message :

Error executing plugin
    Plugin Import / OBJ
    arguments:

file: = C: \ Users \ ****** \ Downloads \ UNSC corvette Prowler.obj
    longestDimension : 281 =
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException : OBJ File C: \ Users \ ******\ Downloads \ UNSC corvette Prowler.obj Has No triangles defined in it.
    at jo.sm.plugins.ship.imp.ImportOBJPlugin.modify ( ImportOBJPlugin.java:87 )
    jo.sm.ui.act.plugin.BlocksPluginAction at $ 1.run ( BlocksPluginAction.java:86 )
    jo.sm.logic.RunnableLogic at $ 1.run ( RunnableLogic.java:37 )

I'm converting the file types it does not change ; A savior ? :)

Reaction score
    • Tester
    That SMedit thingie is abandoned by its developer. It is no longer supporting the Starmade fileformat.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you just trying to import a 3d model into SMedit? If so, try to voxelize the .obj using binvox first: http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/binvox/

Binvox is more flexible with different types of .obj exports and provides better results than the built in function SMedit has.

Once you do the conversion with binvox SMedit can easily import and convert the .binvox file into Starmade.

If that doesn't work either, try to re-export the .obj from a different modeling program. Not all programs follow the same standards and some will create files that are unreadable by binvox or SMedit.

What SmilingDemon said is true though, you can still successfully import stuff into Starmade with SMedit, but you cannot open any files created by any recent version of Starmade.

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    I'd suggest installing a separate copy of Starmade for using exclusively with SMedit. And an older version at that. (you can always upgrade blueprints but not downgrade them.) It's important to use an older copy of SMedit as it'snot been updated since last year so does not support new block types and such that have since been added, like the ones related to rails.

For example I have the latest version in steam for play, and I have another copy of v0.1616; build 20140808_205809 for using with SMedit and it works fine.
    You can install older versions of StarMade via the game launchers "Options & Repair", just make a new folder and drop 'StarMade-starter.exe" into it and run it.
    Then use the options I've highlighted to install the recommended version.

Make your ships or stations in that, export your blueprints and copy them into to your main game folder and load them up in the latest SM, then save/export them once more so they get updated to the latest version blue prints with the ship score graphs on them. Delete your ship/station and reload it in the game and it should work fine.

(There's a problem with old blueprints where ships can just shut down and they get stuck with an 8000 day reboot timer :eek: so making sure they're updated is a must.)

I still make new ship hulls and stations in it just fine.
    Recently used it to make this station hull pictured from an .obj file about 2 days ago.

But yeah, essentially just use SMedit for creating basic Hulls, don;t try and add systems etc, do that using the in game build modes.
    Edge of NIght 2.0.jpg

Last edited: