Help Designing Potent Turret system for Huge 3km ship

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    And with ring turrets you might as well make the base out of power gens and caps. () are round each one.
    Yup, I was introduced to those a while back. I'm planning on having some on my next ship.
    Use power batteries inside the ship. On the docking chain it should look like that : Main ship => Battery => Turrets.
    You just add something between the ship and the turrets that produce the power needed. It helps on certain cases when you can't get the size needed to produce enough power on the turret base.
    Yup, also called a socket. Make a standard sized and shaped plug you dock your turret into, and then the whole thing into the ship, then put the power and battery into the socket. Makes it easier to add hot-swappable turrets as all of your spots are identically sized and you can just pop one out and the new one in without any further modifications.

Reaction score
    Use power batteries inside the ship. On the docking chain it should look like that : Main ship => Battery => Turrets.
    You just add something between the ship and the turrets that produce the power needed. It helps on certain cases when you can't get the size needed to produce enough power on the turret base.
    Aren't these docked power cores, which are almost a replacement to docked reactors for turrets?

Reaction score
    Aren't these docked power cores, which are almost a replacement to docked reactors for turrets?
    A clever admin would say: those are forbidden on a server because they cause excessive lag if destroyed. Oh wait, this is a rule the majority of the servers have: if the ship causes excessive lag it gets immediatelly removed.

But it is more efficient to have the power generate all together up to a certain energy instead of solo in each turret.

Reaction score
    A clever admin would say: those are forbidden on a server because they cause excessive lag if destroyed. Oh wait, this is a rule the majority of the servers have: if the ship causes excessive lag it gets immediatelly removed.

But it is more efficient to have the power generate all together up to a certain energy instead of solo in each turret.
    Which is why you make them like cut aways for a ship. If they fall out, they fall straight out.

Reaction score
    Yes and no. It is up to the basic design of the ship and the one that build it. It is well for groups of medium turrets, small ones just need a few power blocs or can take it from the mother ship without being a problem, huges ones got the place to do so and if you must use one of theses for one turret well... It's like doing it on the turret base.
    Most people put their turret axis directly on the external hull while you could possibly make a huge base inside your ship, protecting the turret axis and provinding the turret with the power needed. It's all about how you build and design your ship.

Reaction score
    Which is why you make them like cut aways for a ship. If they fall out, they fall straight out.
    That neglets the benefits of the docked turret reactor totally by just exposing this reactor for the enemy instead of letting him deal with shooting down 10 turrets. If I would have to deal with a big enemy I would just enable "docked entities" in the nav menue and then see if a turret is docked onto an extra reactor and focus this reactor if it is exposed.
    Yes and no. It is up to the basic design of the ship and the one that build it. It is well for groups of medium turrets, small ones just need a few power blocs or can take it from the mother ship without being a problem, huges ones got the place to do so and if you must use one of theses for one turret well... It's like doing it on the turret base.
    Most people put their turret axis directly on the external hull while you could possibly make a huge base inside your ship, protecting the turret axis and provinding the turret with the power needed. It's all about how you build and design your ship.
    Ofcourse, I think no one disagrees to that part. =)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I think much depends on what weapon your turret is using. If you have cannon/cannon or beam/cannon in the turret, it makes a whole heck of a lot of sense to have the turret barrel and base generating as much power as possible, up to the per second power consumption of the weapon (turret barrel and base combined). If however you have something like a missile/beam in the turret, storing the power for 45 seconds worth of generation is going to be a problem for anything other than the smallest missiles. You are in that case better off generating the power in the main ship body where the power can be stored in a large set of batteries, which will gain from the size boost. (The more battery modules that are contiguous to one another, the more each one will hold.)

Turrets will draw power from their parent, both from battery and generation. As far as I know however, it does not work in reverse. If your turret is generating more power than it can use, it will not feed that excess power into the batteries of it's parent, such as the main ship hull. Any surplus generated power will be lost. It can I suppose still be worth while having a little bit of power generation inside such turrets and their bases, at least a tad over 1000 power a second, as the power modules can store 50K on their own.

Reaction score
    That neglets the benefits of the docked turret reactor totally by just exposing this reactor for the enemy instead of letting him deal with shooting down 10 turrets. If I would have to deal with a big enemy I would just enable "docked entities" in the nav menue and then see if a turret is docked onto an extra reactor and focus this reactor if it is exposed.
    Keep in mind that at that point you may as well reck the turret instead, if you undock the power core and the turrets are still attached then they'll still shoot you. Especially if the PC has redundancy in power generation for the turrets.