Heavy Cannons(Battleship type)

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Hi,

As time passes there was this annoyance that kept appearing in my head,the lack of heavy ordnnace from cannons.
    A new weapon Idea poped up in my head espeacialy as I belt my heavy long range space howtzer,this game lacks heavy cannons,I do not mean missiles with enhaced damged,I mean heavy shells,shells that travel at really slow speed but when it hits its target makes the biggest amounts of damage.

So I propose heavy cannons good to destroy big things more quicly but bad to destroy small tagets.
    Heavy cannons:

-Has the biggest explosive damage
    -Bad armor pircing
    -slow projectile
    -but difficult to destroy
    -the heavy cannon can also be enhanced with proximitie explosive to be able to take on smaller targets.

the heavy cannon can be part of a tech upgrade bringing down the cannons that we have now to light cannons.
    It can also allow for turrets to be more powerfull.
    Another thing when attached to a weapon it can enhence the damage a lot but slow down reload and projectile.

Thank you for reading.

Reaction score
    This reads exactly like what pulse does when it's slaved to a cannon...

Are you just not happy with the damage you get out of your turrets? I build pretty spacious interiors myself, but I usually try to make the " main guns" very large in comparison to the rest of the ship, and in just find a way to work that into my aesthetic.

There's a chart somewhere that shows what group sizes of what weapon breaks how many blocks. atraunam posted it somewhere...

Also, irl a " heavy shell" had superior armor penetration to standard, or heavy explosive. Perhaps this could be customized with a tertiary effect? Like it is now...
    [doublepost=1497147762,1497147688][/doublepost] skPL92r.png

Found it. Courtesy of AtraUnam

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    At one point, Schine said they are always looking for new tertiary effect ideas. (E.g. Flak effect, similar to pulse, but has proximity detonation (poor armor impact) and gives the projectile up to 200 AHP, depending on percentage... Can be detonated by a close projectile, in addition to standard entities like ships, turrets, and stations.)

(Special note: proximity is computationally expensive, inaccurate in highly dense circumstances, such as combat. Can be made slightly less expensive by using a bounding box and testing for intersection, using relatively simple algebra math, instead of proximity distance, which would inevitably use trigonometry.)

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Explosive & Punch through effect cannons are already capable of pretty impressive damage, cannons & beams are not as "simple" to set up for effective block damage as missiles are, but can still convert dps into block destruction just as well, potentially better depending on the target, but it will still require a rapid fire rate (not necessarily cannon supp) to really chew things up.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    So... Cannon/Pulse or Missile/Cannon?

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    More like cannon/pulse/explosive that doesn't suck is I think what he's going for. All we really need for this is for explosive to actually be explosive, and not just send damage into the void.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    hmm maybe if we could put the secondary weapons and primary weapons into the 3rd slot along with the effects we could cook up things like this.

I'm thinking this one would be Cannon/Pulse/Pulse or something to that effect.

Reaction score
    Another request for "BIGGER BOOM LESS HARDER". Ah well.

Anyway, I would like to see a revamp of explosive so that cannon shells detonate on contact like a weaker, faster-travelling missiles.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    What you describe sounds exactly like a cannon/pulse/explosive or missile/cannon/explosive. Slow, bad armor piercing but good area damage. very powerful compared to standard cannons. Missile/cannon variant can be shot down.

Napther

Grumpy builder of Kaiju Design Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The only issue is Cannon/pulse/explosive has no "Projectile Scaling". Would be great is Explosive made the cannon do a cone-shaped damage pattern in full, and each hit generates an X radius circle. As the damage drops off, the circle radius also drops. THis creates a viable alternative to alpha weapons and ecourages a split between high rate of fire machineguns, and actually using pulse-slave (And beam slave) more viable secondary part to a cannon.

Reaction score
    This data is no longer accurate due to some alterations to the armor system since its recording, it should still be accurate for standard armor and hull but not for advanced armor.
    Nooooooo!

How has it changed? Does it require more weapons blocks to deal the equivalent damage?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Nooooooo!

How has it changed? Does it require more weapons blocks to deal the equivalent damage?
    No armor got changed in a way that makes advanced armor weaker because schine cannot into multipliers properly. I'm holding off on building a new dataset until a planned(tm) armor change occurs.

Reaction score
    No armor got changed in a way that makes advanced armor weaker because schine cannot into multipliers properly. I'm holding off on building a new dataset until a planned(tm) armor change occurs.
    We just can't have nice things, can we? Lol

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Regarding the original post; I think we were supposedly baby steps away from what he's asking for. The problem was that explosive effect slaved to a cannon or beam only spread out in a 1m radius. If Schine fixes (if they haven't already) the radius for explosive beams and cannons, then you can very easily create an artillery-type weapon that explodes like a missile.

Just keep in mind; any explosive cannon will have its effective damage cut in half because of the current explosion mechanic.