Having trouble starting this game up

Reaction score
    It's been a long while since I've played this game, so long that I have created a second account. Anyway. I've re-downloaded Starmade through the Steam Client, and I'm having trouble starting this up. I've updated my drivers, deleted all of the Starmade files on my computer, and I'm still having this problem. at about 30% when loading a universe a "Critical Error" dialog box is opened, saying "Open_GL_Exception". After retrying a couple of times, I get a new error dialog box, this one saying:

RuntimeException:
    data\/shader/skin/skin-tex.vert.glsl
    data\/shader/skin/skin-tex.frag.glsl

Validation failed! - Different sampler types to same sample texture unit in fragment shader

LINK STATUS: 0

FYI: I am using the demo version.

Jarraff

filthy neutral
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The latest nvidia update broke open gl. If you updated that you might have to roll back that driver. There is a sticky with the instructions somewhere.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Inside your Starmade/logs folder there should be graphicsinfo.txt can you upload that.

Based on experience this is usually an Intel graphics issue or a broken install. We'll wait to see graphicsinfo.txt to decide the next course of action.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    It's been a long while since I've played this game, so long that I have created a second account. Anyway. I've re-downloaded Starmade through the Steam Client, and I'm having trouble starting this up. I've updated my drivers, deleted all of the Starmade files on my computer, and I'm still having this problem. at about 30% when loading a universe a "Critical Error" dialog box is opened, saying "Open_GL_Exception". After retrying a couple of times, I get a new error dialog box, this one saying:

RuntimeException:
    data\/shader/skin/skin-tex.vert.glsl
    data\/shader/skin/skin-tex.frag.glsl

Validation failed! - Different sampler types to same sample texture unit in fragment shader

LINK STATUS: 0

FYI: I am using the demo version.
    Do what nightrune says. Also add logs(number).txt from the starmade folder to your attach to see if there's any other warnings hidden.

I occasionally get the same OGL exception, on an amd/ati rig. Usually a restart fixes it, but it took me a couple months of rollback and roll forward to get it working just right. Double check you have the C++ binaries for your specific driver version. Usually this can be done "automaticly" by using the "clean uninstall" program from either GFX manufacturer, then reinstalling the proper driver version AFTER RESTART. It was a C-lib version-switch that gave me the error you describe, but of course, no promises you'll get the same luck

Reaction score
    Sorry it's been a while, but here's the graphicinfo.txt

Running on thread: main
    Adapter: null
    Driver Version: null
    Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL Version: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.200.1062.1004
    Renderer: AMD Radeon R5 200 Series
    GLSL Ver: 4.40

Do what nightrune says. Also add logs(number).txt from the starmade folder to your attach to see if there's any other warnings hidden.

I occasionally get the same OGL exception, on an amd/ati rig. Usually a restart fixes it, but it took me a couple months of rollback and roll forward to get it working just right. Double check you have the C++ binaries for your specific driver version. Usually this can be done "automaticly" by using the "clean uninstall" program from either GFX manufacturer, then reinstalling the proper driver version AFTER RESTART. It was a C-lib version-switch that gave me the error you describe, but of course, no promises you'll get the same luck
    Yeah, old AMD rig here.
    Inside your Starmade/logs folder there should be graphicsinfo.txt can you upload that.

Based on experience this is usually an Intel graphics issue or a broken install. We'll wait to see graphicsinfo.txt to decide the next course of action.
    Meant to quote you earlier.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Sorry it's been a while, but here's the graphicinfo.txt

Running on thread: main
    Adapter: null
    Driver Version: null
    Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL Version: 4.5.13399 Compatibility Profile Context 15.200.1062.1004
    Renderer: AMD Radeon R5 200 Series
    GLSL Ver: 4.40

Yeah, old AMD rig here.

Meant to quote you earlier.
    Its troubling that the driver version and adapter are null.

So the next thing I'll need you to do. A complete reinstall from steam. Please back up any information. Then after the install if it still crashes upload logstarmade.0.log here. Then we might be able to help you more.

Reaction score

So the next thing I'll need you to do. A complete reinstall from steam. Please back up any information. Then after the install if it still crashes upload logstarmade.0.log here. Then we might be able to help you more.
    I've done that multiple times and it never works, same log, same errors. I've reinstalled drivers and everything. However, i am having luck by just installing the demo directly from the site.

Perhaps the demo download from Steam is borked.
    [doublepost=1488331014,1488330948][/doublepost]

I basically can play again when not using Steam.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I've done that multiple times and it never works, same log, same errors. I've reinstalled drivers and everything. However, i am having luck by just installing the demo directly from the site.

Great! I'd still appreciate logs from the steam install. In the folder Starmade/logs

That could help the team make sure it doesn't happen to anyone else.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    ...However, i am having luck by just installing the demo directly from the site.

Heh, I've always had a bad relationship with steam. Not surprised that it's probably steam's chat-overlay alerts or cloud backup/restore screwing with your card.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Part of the problem with Steam is that it sees the StarMade Launcher as the game and not StarMade it self.

According to Steam i have 7.5 hours of play time on this game. :whistle:

So i tend to run StarMade without Steam running that frees up some cpu power as well.