Handheld weapon modular building/customisation (Other decorative items)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    What im proposing would hopefully fit in with the currently in production handheld weapon systems.

The idea would be to have a modular voxel building system (identical to the ship building) that would enable you to build and customise your own weapon models. The system would be theoretically easy to implement on the pre-existing system, as it would use all of the same textures as the ships do. You could even use the same weapons systems.

The thought rather selfishly stemmed from the immediate desire to have a gun that looked like boba fetts rifle. I immediately thought of a similar system in the voxel based game 'Cube World', wherein you can add to and customise weapons to look unique.

I have since discussed it with community members from the thunderdome server, and thought the best way to use such a system would perhaps be to include a weapons building workstation block, which you could place a gun base(core) into, then enter it and be thrown into a 3D build room where you could build your gun just like you would build a ship.

You could potentially add more to the system, such as the need to have ammunition of some sort rather than just energy (especially for missiles, which I think could do with being limited by ammunition for ships too). Pulse weapons as recently added would lend themselves to being used to freeze enemies in place.

Im fairly passionate about the idea, as I think it would add a lot more to the versatility, as well as adding another element for players on servers to use for trade.

(Side note: I know that there may be concerns for graphical rendering of more objects, but I feel that the resource usage would be well worth the new and interesting functionality, especially when the systems for building are already in place.)

Expansions and other uses (Please Read): The system could lend well to other custom items, such as placable furniture. Imagine the amazing ships that could be built using custom decorative chairs and other misc furniture, radar dishes/antennae, weapons array decoration, custom doors, portholes/window decoration, panelling/control areas/buttons, paintings/pixelartwork, custom lightsources ETC.

Decorative items would be added as a named item and textured using the same textures as the main blocks. They could then be placed like a normal item and the "core" block of it could act as the anchor point in the center bottom.

Again, these custom decorations would add in multiple new opportunities for trade of unique items.

Decoration ships:

Furthering this system, you could build tiny models of your own ships as decorations. You could extend this to blueprints, for instance, the physical model of your ship acts as a physical blueprint for that ship, which could then be traded with somebody. Additionally, they could be used as kill trophies; If you destroy a ship, you get a small model of it for display!

Programming and resource cost considerations:

This system would be relatively simple to implement, and could potentially massively save on work load. With the number of suggestions and requests for decorative items, it would save a huge amount of time on the developers part, given that you would be handing the creation of such decorative items over to the community.

Not only would there be no need to build new models, but there would be no need to texture them and no need to add in new collision bounds for them. While they would have no functionality other than being decorative, they would infinitely add to the variety of creations, and what people could do.

There would be resource and loading configuration concerns perhaps, but this shouldnt be any more of a problem than loading in a ship would be.

Thanks for taking your time to read the idea!

Please make sure to check out my other proposal:

Tanks and resource gathering

http://star-made.org/content/resource-gathering-tanks-and-collection-systems

Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I approve.

Adding ammo might also help the trade system out alot, maybe even adding in different ammo types (freeze,emp, fire)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I had also suggested an idea at one point for some kind of tracking beacon weapon/gun, and I think this system would facilitate this brilliantly. Flamethrowers would be totally awesome too.

Reaction score
    +1 maybe have some sort of attachment system in addition to this (so like scopes and infrared sensors and whatnot)

Reaction score
    another idea that could go along with this would be you could save your design as a \"blueprint\" (but not like the current system). basically once you design it it would be like a recipe and you could mass produce what you made

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Going to +1 your suggestion; I especially enjoyed your idea\'s progression into custom items such as furniture and decoration. It might even lend itself to a vibrant mod community in the future. In such a case, I could imagine modders tapping into the code to add new item type functionalities without having to rehash the same code to import the model into the game (as it would be pre-existing, built using the in-game editor)

If you\'re interested in dredging up old forum history, I posted a topic similar to this awhile back (granted, I based my post off of the \"Planet Explorers\" model of doing things instead of \"Cube World\"):
    http://star-made.org/content/let-players-design-items-weaponsarmorstoolscybernetics-etc

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Think this could be fun. ..
    Would make bases more fun to customize too.
    The model ships -awesome idea

Would be great to have a hand held salvage beam this way too.

Reaction score
    That. Would. Be. Awesome! i\'d love to have small models of my ships... and a customisable gun.... OMG, yes!

Reaction score
    I also agree especially with the handheld weapons. Also i remember reading up about encounters on planets, what I feel would be good is if you owned a planet it would be brilliant if you set what sort of encounters was on your own planet eg. colonists

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thanks for the early support guys. Post the link around to people guys, Id like to get some momentum going! :)

Reaction score
    But i think this idea needs more! Modular futuristic armor systems! With jetpacks and built-in weapons!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I wanted to bring this back to the top! Keep up the views and spreading.