Handheld Hull Drill/Ship Equipped Hull Drill

Reaction score
    So I have an idea that would make even more realistic battles.
    The drill ignores shields and has the capability (at short range) to drill through hull at the rate of 5 health per second for more realistic boarding..
    So you could have a boarding ship that would drill into the enemy's hull and the you could get in disable the ship(even though you can't really do that if the ship had a faction module and shields)!
    Please tell me if you agree!

Last edited:

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    You can edit your previous posts. I'll do it for you and condense it to one. But try to avoid double posting in the future :3
    EDIT: I think i got it in the ball park but you can go back and re-edit it. The idea has merit.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So I have an idea that would make even more realistic battles.
    The drill ignores shields and has the capability (at short range) to drill through hull at the rate of 5 health per second for more realistic boarding..
    Please tell me if you agree!
    Interesting idea, I could see people coming up with some interesting boarding craft, but with current block hp I would make it more like 10-15 damage per second. (10-15 seconds to drill through normal hull, and 25-30 seconds to drill through hardened hull.)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    please no. Just let it stack additively like weapon array damage.

It ignores shields!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    please no. Just let it stack additively like weapon array damage.

It ignores shields!
    Wait a sec what if we limited it to 4 a ship. That would be enough to create a small hole but not enough to damage a ship, and it can't affect the core obviously.

Reaction score
    Yes I agree 1adog1. That way a tiny little ship wouldn't be able to destroy a huge ship.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the idea but completely disagree that it should ignore shields.

Reaction score
    I like the idea but completely disagree that it should ignore shields.
    yeah but if it doesn't it's going to be complety useless since pretty much all decent ships use shields

Wait a sec what if we limited it to 4 a ship. That would be enough to create a small hole but not enough to damage a ship, and it can't affect the core obviously.
    this idea could work, but you could also make the system the same as shields, (the first few add a lot of shield points, like the fifth adds 200 shield points but how more shields you got, the less shield points will be added the next time you put a new shield, like from 130 to 131 shields it only adds 40 shield point, correct me if im wrong) that way people still can find a creative way to use them but they woudnt be so OP

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    yeah but if it doesn't it's going to be complety useless since pretty much all decent ships use shields

this idea could work, but you could also make the system the same as shields, (the first few add a lot of shield points, like the fifth adds 200 shield points but how more shields you got, the less shield points will be added the next time you put a new shield, like from 130 to 131 shields it only adds 40 shield point, correct me if im wrong) that way people still can find a creative way to use them but they woudnt be so OP
    I think that it would only encourage teamwork on servers. For example, one player keeps target's shields down and another goes in with a drilling ship, drills into the hull of the target and deploys a group of NPC's or players to capture the ship. That way it wouldn't be OP. Also, practically any player given enough time would be able to capture your ship when you're AFK assuming it isn't docked to faction base if shields are ignored.

Reaction score
    I think that it would only encourage teamwork on servers. For example, one player keeps target's shields down and another goes in with a drilling ship, drills into the hull of the target and deploys a group of NPC's or players to capture the ship. That way it wouldn't be OP. Also, practically any player given enough time would be able to capture your ship when you're AFK assuming it isn't docked to faction base if shields are ignored.
    i support your teamwork idea, but if your doing a solo operation hijacking a big ship, its is going to be really hard, and just a quick question, how do the shields even work ? because how i think they work, they would only block attacks from cannon, rockets or beams, the ussual ranged weaponry. not from hitted stuff or getting drilled by stuff, because only really hard attacks would enable the shield, weaker attacks like a drill would just ignore the shield. you cant crack a coconut by hitting it with your fists because that cant break the armor, but you can with a hammer, that would destroy its armor, and you can by drilling it or cutting it, that would allow you to go right through its armor if the drill/knife is strong enough.

Reaction score

I agree with what you are saying but what about if you had the actual drill block and then you have drill enhancer blocks that increase mining speed. And then you could have a max of four drill blocks which would increase the area the drill affects. Your handheld drill would just drill 1 block at a time.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    No, you don't want to have a drill computer, especially if the blocks will be limited to such a small number. It'll just create more unnecessary blocks. Connect them to Logic, maybe, but not a computer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    This thing would get stuck in the ship and cause massive lag and damage.

Reaction score
    I don't really think that would happen since it would be like any other weapon you have to activate in the hotbar and I highly doubt that it would get stuck in the ship.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't really think that would happen since it would be like any other weapon you have to activate in the hotbar and I highly doubt that it would get stuck in the ship.
    It would get stuck in the ship because of how ticks work.