Handheld Hull Drill/Ship Equipped Hull Drill

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I don't know if I am supposed to know what ticks are, but what are they?
    They are calculations the game runs, all java games use them. The game does calculations every second(in minecraft there are 20 ticks in a second). Since you can crash into something very fast, you can hit the ship... and keep going, so when the next tick happens, it suddenly has to calculate what you are hitting, this keeps happening until you either get out of the ship, destroy the thing, or drill out of a random side.

Reaction score
    So I have an idea that would make even more realistic battles.
    The drill ignores shields and has the capability (at short range) to drill through hull at the rate of 5 health per second for more realistic boarding..
    So you could have a boarding ship that would drill into the enemy's hull and the you could get in disable the ship(even though you can't really do that if the ship had a faction module and shields)!
    Please tell me if you agree!
    This sort of functionality, a way to board a ship, should be possible, if not through this particular mechanic, then through another. There's a wide range of options, as well as not so obvious technical limitations (as well as gameplay limitations EI fun/notfun) to consider. We do want astronauts to be able to do things within ships, even if not their own (ignoring this would be ignoring a huge potential aspect of gameplay.) Thanks for contributing a sound idea, as a player held "drill" that ignores shields is actually a decent concept :D again, i dont know if it has any technical issues, but its not overpowered in game mechanics either, I wouldnt mind seeing something like this, or hacking mechanics (to get through those shut doors) perhaps a "hacking tool" that shoots a beam at the door for a period of time until it is forced open?