Gravityfield Block

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Did you ever wanted to park your ship quick on a ladingpad, but it just bounced away?
    Are you tired of complex gravitymodule-activator contraptions for stationwide gravity?
    Then this is something you might want to look into:

Gravityfield blocks.
    These blocks get linked to a normal gravitymodule and provide planet-like gravity within a certain area

They are, much like the pick-up rails, only visible in build mode and are non-colliding.
    The block's gravity not only affects players, but other entities, too, such as ships and NPCs
    The gravity direction is determined by linked gravitymodule and the field expands only in one direction (upwards in relation to the parten gravity module) but ends after a certain distance, like the planetary gravity.

The distance is determined by the overall block count, e.g. if I have a gravity lift with a 3x3 area, the gravityfield expands to a height of 9 blocks:

(*image not to scale)

The strength of the field depends also on the size of the covered area. And by strength I mean this:
    The bigger your area of grav.-field blocks is, the heavier entities will be affected.
    So you don't have to worry when you fly in your titan over a small landingpad that you get pulled down.

In order to work as they should, the grav.-field blocks need energy.

Any further suggestions and critiques are welcome :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    this would work better then the activation /gravity modules I place at entrance points,also one would never forget to turn off gravity before leaving platform (aaaaaaaaaaaaa!)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like the images, good work.
    But I think gate-rings are better for this - just assume the blocks inbetween are placed.
    • or do you want to forfeit the ability to place beds and chairs?
    • you would have to make effort hiding the block, creating a second array and loosing strength in this point.

However, I miss an orientation-block, which sets the up/down of a player independent of gravity. If there is no up/down-block, the last setting is kept.

If your elevator, now with gravity-gate-rings have someone fall through it, will it be like a force pushing you or can you not go through the gravity-gate in inverse direction like if there were blocks? (second would work more like the elevator-blocks)​

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the images, good work.
    But I think gate-rings are better for this - just assume the blocks inbetween are placed.
    • or do you want to forfeit the ability to place beds and chairs?
    • you would have to make effort hiding the block, creating a second array and loosing strength in this point.
    You could simply put them under your floor block. the strenght at this point (for player orientated building aka. corridors etc) is more than enough.

However, I miss an orientation-block, which sets the up/down of a player independent of gravity. If there is no up/down-block, the last setting is kept.​
    Well that's a general thing regarding how the gravity work in the game. I personally don't think that a orientation-block is necessary.

If your elevator, now with gravity-gate-rings have someone fall through it, will it be like a force pushing you or can you not go through the gravity-gate in inverse direction like if there were blocks? (second would work more like the elevator-blocks)​
    If you jump from the top of such an elevator into it, the grav field would pull you upwards again, yea. But if you're fast enough you can escape the field.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    You could simply put them under your floor block. the strenght at this point (for player orientated building aka. corridors etc) is more than enough.
    I have hollow space there just for RP-gravity? It will sheer RP and practical builds further apart - a bad idea.

Last edited:

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have hollow space there just for RP-gravity? It will sheer RP and practical builds further apart - a bad idea.

But if you could encase a deck in a loop, any attacker damaging the loop would break your gravity. I think this is more interesting and easier to build. Every 9 blocks you need a ring around your ship.

But smaller, more local gravity would then need to dominate over the larger because of a higher block-count/surface.
    Larger loops would grow linearly in length, quadratic in covered area, thus lose linearly on strength.
    But you could slave pull-effects to change that ;) Push effects would deepen the bottom side?
    You could always use the normal gravity module, as it is, so you don't need to have a hollow space inside your build

The main focus of this suggestion is bringing planetlike gravity, which affects other entities (mainly ships)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It would require a huge amount of blocks if used for something like this:
    I wish you would suggest something which uses less blocks rather than making new chunk32s for invisible blocks.

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    It's supposed to be a small addition to the existion gravity modules, not a complete overhaul. If you wanna have normal gravity within your station, just use an activator gate and a gravity module.

I wish you would suggest something which uses less blocks rather than making new chunk32s for invisible blocks.
    Well then go ahead and suggest something along these lines by yourself.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Personally, I think the OP is how regular gravity blocks should work.

"Activating magnetic boots" (aligning to a surface) works for astronauts and docking rails works for other entities as a duplicate of what gravity blocks do right now.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    New Personally, I think the OP is how regular gravity blocks should work.
    Exactly!
    "Activating magnetic boots" (aligning to a surface) works for astronauts and docking rails works for other entities as a duplicate of what gravity blocks do right now.
    Agree.

I'd like to enforce astronaut gravity in a simpler way. Jet-pack vs Push-pulse, what wins?​

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Computationally this is almost infeasible, although it does sound cool. This is a great write up though, but I would not count on this being a block based thing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I can see that someone using multiple fields of this to create a fighter gravity trap.....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Computationally this is almost infeasible,
    Run-Length compression:
    input: 1111'1122"2222'3322"2222'1112"1111'1110 Gravity fields along x=16, z=16 (above/below core)
    output: 0=1, 6=2, 12=3, 14=2, 20=1, 23=2, 24=1, 31=0

Only the bottom-most block is saved. you can check if you are between the bottommost and next higher gravity area.
    The neighbour block has roughly the same bottommost blocks.
    Alternatively, you have to bit-map every block (perhaps in metadata) and fall through all set to 0 until you hit a bottom-most 1 and from this to hit a rightmost 1 and a frontmost/rearmost 1.
    This corner-block of the gravity field is indexed in a gravity strength info table.
    EDIT: Alternatively you could use meta-data for rectangles (positive and subtracted) which border into other rectangles, dependent on 2D-crossing region.​

Last edited:

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Run-Length compression:
    input: 1111'1122"2222'3322"2222'1112"1111'1110 Gravity fields along x=16, z=16 (above/below core)
    output: 0=1, 6=2, 12=3, 14=2, 20=1, 23=2, 24=1, 31=0

Only the bottom-most block is saved. you can check if you are between the bottommost and next higher gravity area.
    The neighbour block has roughly the same bottommost blocks.
    Alternatively, you have to bit-map every block (perhaps in metadata) and fall through all set to 0 until you hit a bottom-most 1 and from this to hit a rightmost 1 and a frontmost/rearmost 1.
    This corner-block of the gravity field is indexed in a gravity strength info table.​
    This is a block game though, if you are going to force a rectangle why do it with blocks.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Exactly!
    Agree.

I'd like to enforce astronaut gravity in a simpler way. Jet-pack vs Push-pulse, what wins?​
    Jetpacks will never get old. :D
    Plus, they are a natural way to add improved space-walking speed to astronauts.

Reactions: nightrune

serge1944

Grand Admiral of The Infection Initiative
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    proposed that sometime agoevryone said no,must be the way I wright.Anyways would love to have area parking than rail parking,this would work great with my tipe of hagar like the acclamator stardestroyer.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I love the presentation...and the idea is cool too. I hope this actually is feasible because it would open up the doors to more fun traps and useful people-movers for stations and large ships. This system would simplify the logic for that tremendously.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I love the presentation...and the idea is cool too. I hope this actually is feasible because it would open up the doors to more fun traps and useful people-movers for stations and large ships. This system would simplify the logic for that tremendously.
    Even with all the required blocks.​