Graphics Driver Issues

Reaction score
    I just bought a Toshiba Satellite S55-B for use while I am at college. I saw this game on Steam and thought that it looked like a great game so I downloaded it but I get kicked out of the game every time I try to start it up. I've tried finding solutions to this problem but nothing has worked. Do I not have a graphics card good enough for this game? I've already tried updating my driver but it says I'm up to date. How can I fix this problem?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your graphics card is DEFINITELY powerful enough, assuming yours is the model with the AMD R7. Does the game give a specific error message when it crashes?

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    I want to point out that your laptop seems to use Intel HD Graphics and has an onboard GPU. Intel HD Graphics is basically a "GPU" that uses the CPU, it's known to cause problems with certain games, including starmade. Normally updating this driver should allow you to play the game with intel HD Graphics or you can just simply disable Intel HD graphics and use your onboard GPU (that should also be updated to the latest driver).

Try to update your intel hd graphics: Only pick one for your windows (I'm assuming yours is 64 bit so take the first one)
    OR the better solution:
    Switch over to your onboard GPU (a lot better performance): how to that

I have no experience with AMD but I think it's:

Also very important, make sure your java installation is up to date and is using the correct bit version.
    Windows 8.1 64 bit comes with a 32 bit java...Uninstall all your java versions and download the latest one:https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Reaction score
    Your graphics card is DEFINITELY powerful enough, assuming yours is the model with the AMD R7. Does the game give a specific error message when it crashes?
    It tells me that there has been a JVM Error. I added a picture to show the message. Error Message.JPG

SmilingDemon I get to 100% and then the screen goes black and I end up back at my desktop

Lancake I will try switching over to my onboard GPU. I'll let you know if that works

Reaction score
    No, I noticed a typo in the dialog.
    View attachment 6494
    If I knew a solution, I would definetly tell you right away without any riddles to solve.
    Thanks anyway man, I'll keep working at it. Right now I'm trying Lancake's method of installing AMD.[DOUBLEPOST=1417813884,1417812642][/DOUBLEPOST]I downloaded the AMD 64-bit from the link you added Lancake. Is there something I have to do after downloading that and installing it? It still doesn't seem to be working. :/

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Thanks anyway man, I'll keep working at it. Right now I'm trying Lancake's method of installing AMD.[DOUBLEPOST=1417813884,1417812642][/DOUBLEPOST]I downloaded the AMD 64-bit from the link you added Lancake. Is there something I have to do after downloading that and installing it? It still doesn't seem to be working. :/
    Did you switch over to your AMD GPU like the guy described in that youtube video?

Reaction score
    Lancake I was following the video but a few things differ. One of them is that when he begins the video he opens up Device Manager. And when he does that he has 2 things listed under his display adapters. Whereas, when I open mine, I only have one. I added a photo.
    Capture.JPG
    Does this mean that I do not have a graphics card at all? I'm sorry if this is easy for you. I'm not that great with computers. I really do appreciate the help though.

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That sounds like either there isn't a dedicated GPU, or it is disabled in the firmware (BIOS) setup, or perhaps the correct driver is not installed correctly. You might want to see if there is a more specific model number, perhaps on a manufacturer label on the bottom of the laptop. For example, in a Google search for "Toshiba Satellite S55-B" I notice a S55-B5268 and a S55-B5280 in the results. Searching on the exact model may find specifications telling whether your machine has a dedicated GPU.

You may also be able to try turning down or off some graphics options in the second launcher panel, such as Occlusion Culling and Max Segments, to see if that helps. Some options are only visible upon enabling Advanced Settings under the Settings menu in that dialog.

Reaction score
    Just install 64bit Java, as also suggested by Lancake.
    Also, can you please provide the file logs.txt.0 (found in the logs directory of your StarMade installation)? It will help us fix the issue for good.

Reaction score
    Just install 64bit Java, as also suggested by Lancake.
    Also, can you please provide the file logs.txt.0 (found in the logs directory of your StarMade installation)? It will help us fix the issue for good.
    Is this what you wanted der_scheme?
    Files.JPG

This was in logs file in the download.
    I will download the 64 bit Java.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Just the log.txt.0 or all of the log.txt files?
    The latest one should be good enough but to make sure, just take the first 5 (latest ones) or so and put them in a rar/zip file ^^

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Logs show me that you're using a 32 bit operating system so downloading any 64 bit driver will not help at all. They also cut off when you start loading the shaders. You don't seem to have an onboard GPU or it's disabled so don't bother with AMD/Nvidia drivers. Not sure if your intel hd graphics is up to date now but you're stuck with those, please update them if you haven't already (again, 32 bit).

Use the 32 bit java link I posted to update to that latest version. Possibly der_scheme can help you further.
    If not, contact support, they are starmade wizards: https://starmade.freshdesk.com/support/tickets/new
    I'm sure they will be able to help you.