Getting custom stations to spawn in the world as trade, derilict and pirate

Reaction score
    So... I've tried copying the stations into the proper folders to 'try' to get them to spawn in the universe, but they never do even on a new world creation, only the default ones do, so whats the trick here to getting your stations to spawn in randomly?

I've placed copies of the blueprints into:

blueprints-stations/neutral
    blueprints-stations/pirate
    blueprints-stations/trading-guild

So whats the trick here to getting this to work?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Are you dropping the SMENT file into those directories? If you are, that's the wrong way to do it.

1. Rename the SMENT to ZIP.
    So "Station.sment" will become "Station.zip"

2. Open the ZIP by double-clicking

Move the folder you find in here into your desired station directory. e.g: "blueprints-stations/trading-guild"

Reaction score
    I just knew someone would assume that.

No I am not dropping Sment files into the folder.

I am placing blueprint folders into the folders.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Hop around the universe for a bit. In the galax map, you can double-click on the little icons and 'admin warp' to them

Visit a bunch (20-30) stations to see if they truly aren't spawning.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    Try resetting your universe. This happened to me once as the defaults were still there when I stuck some new stations there, but once the universe was reset they all spawned correctly.

EDIT: Just noticed you already tried that, dang it :( Have you removed the defaults? That should get the new ones to spawn correctly.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    It is possible that this is a as of now a limitation in the game ... or more likely a bug.
    That is if they realy do not spawn at all.

What station or stations did you use to test? If they are from the Community content section please link them here.
    If they are private you can open a bug on the bugtracker and put it on private when you append the stations there. Then name me as referent there. I will take a look into it.

And i would advice if you have a thing that looks like a bug to post in the game support sub forum for it ... gets cheched by testers more often .. i think ;)

Reaction score
    Haven't tried sense the newest update (been busy building).

added custom stations to all the folders so it was a 2-1 ratio of custom vs default (pirate, derelict, trading)

traveled over 60 systems without finding one of the custom stations being spawned in.

Is the only reason I decided to come here and ask, I can get custom pirate / trade ships working just fine, but not the stations.

once they added being able to export stations i was like "woo hoo! custom stations!" but that was smashed lol.

I know all bugs don't get everyone the same in this game (i've had some other odd quirks, as well as other users, that the majority don't have).

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OK.
    But what station did you use ? Maybe there is something special about that station you did try to get spawned.
    Thats why i did ask for you to tell me or link me the used station that did not work.

Reaction score
    there my own.

they are nothing special, mostly small. each contain a faction block and turrets.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    OK.
    i did a quick test yesterday. used 3 Stations from the community section here (my 2 contest submissions and the ambassador station by GaeasSon). Placed them in the folders beside the original stations and also as the only stations in those folders. Each time tested on a new universe.
    They did spawn flawlessly. The only thing debatable would be if they are evenly distributed if you have them alongside the other stations (which i have the feeling they are not ... running into to many of those Nexus stations ... have to build a Nexus Killer Ship i think! ;) )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Question. Did you manually change the name of the station blueprint at any point? That will keep it from spawning and/or corrupt it.

Also if the station name is too long it can corrupt the file.

Spawn the station in game. Save it using the "/save" admin command and give it a nice short name. So: "/save piratestation1"

Then go get it out of the blue print folder and put it directly in the station folder.

If that doesn't work you may need to modify the preloaded station pack in the "defaultStations" folder.

I have had stations that simply would not load in game until I deleted and reloaded the station folder, or universe.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It's something to look into as a bug or fault. For some it works easily and others it doesn't? Its definitely a problem, if the feature didn't work for me I'd have issues.