Gas Giant Concept-With pictures

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    i've always thought that fuel, if added should be tied to thrust amount. After a certain thrust threshold then fuel will be required. Not at a high rate to warrant players refueling constantly but not so little that it could take days (IRL) of flying before you need to fill up again. if players run out of fuel then all systems on that ship shut down. no shields or regen, power, and weapons. it will go into low power mode and you will only be able to fly at 5% of the server max speed.

to make it this quirk more combat exploitable "fuel leak" will be a new HP damage penalty. the more damage you take on then theres a chance that you'll begin to leak fuel and risk a system shut down. defensive push will also need to be changed/nerfed in order to prevent it from becoming a more effective alternative.
    I sorta feel that fuel should warrant a new type of power gen system, like a series of reactor chamber, coolant pump, and vent blocks or something, specifically for large ships over the power softcap. Advanced systems that are by nature more delicate, slightly less efficient per block than the power dimension bonuses, and capable of scaling infinitely at the cost of increasing fuel usage. Your ship's reactors take damage? You either lose power output or start building up reactor heat, which causes a containment failure if left unchecked, depending on what blocks get hit.

Either way it works, gas giants for fuel gathering and, for risk takers, possibly stars? I'd be all for that. And gas giants as a visual object would also be amazing.

Just remember to have the dust rings on some of them, too ;)

Reaction score
    Gas giants is a good opportunity to put more combat and exploration into the game also. I agree that it should be possible to collect
    resources, and it should be different from gas giant to gas giant, which materials you can find on them. In that way astronauts will have to travel around to find the right gas giant for their needs. These should also be a bit rare, to make people fight each other to get the right to harvest from the giant.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I agree with the OP on the gas giants.
    I agree with the sub-thread on gas-mining and cloud-bases.

In the subject of consumables... for the fully realized game I'd live to see variety in energy and propulsion
    Propulsion:
    • Coil thrusters: Direct e to thrust. No fuel. Low power, good for light ships
    • Chemical rockets: Burns H and O2. High thrust. High fuel consumption.
    • Ion Drive. burns H and e-. Medium thrust. Low fuel consumption per unit of thrust.
    • Warp drive: e- to exceed speed limits (overdrive passive)
    • Jump drive: e- to skip intervening space.
    Energy:
    • Solar: e- without fuel, but output is based on how close you are to a star.
    • Chemical: burns H and O to produce e- and Water. High Output. Inefficient.
    • Fuel Cell: burns H and O to produce e- and Water. Low Output. High efficiency.
    • Fuel Cell (reversed): Consumes e- and Water to produce H and O. Low Output. High efficiency.
    • Fission: Consumes radioisotopes to produce e-. Medium output. Medium efficiency. Radiation damages astronauts within 10 blocks.
    • Fusion: He3 and e-. Produces e- and He. High output. High efficiency. High e- startup costs... Radiation damages astronauts within 3 blocks.
    • Annihilation: Consumes Anti-matter and ANY other block. VERY efficient. VERY high output. Requires constant energy to maintain containment or BOOM!