Game Crashes When I Build & Use Docking Beam(?Bug?)

Reaction score
    Whenever I try to delete something out of build-mode in a ship or out of a build-block, the game crashes. And whenever I use the docking beam (even when I don't aim it at a docking module), it does the same thing. Please help. Also, I am using the most recent version of Star-Made. (v0.1421; build 20140404_194643; LauncherVersion: 9.)

Reaction score
    Computer specs? OS? Error logs?
    I am using a MacBook Air (Processor: 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3. Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB. Software: Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53))

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Try other beams in the game, salvage beams, powerdrain, etc. They might be the problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great! We've figured out the cause. Does it instantly crash, and what error message does it give when it crashes?

Reaction score
    Great! We've figured out the cause. Does it instantly crash, and what error message does it give when it crashes?
    It does crash instantly, but the window closes out and I get a pop-up that says it unexpectedly quit.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm. It could be something to do with your graphics card not handling beam rendering properly, and Intel graphics are known to have many problems with StarMade. Is your average FPS pretty low? If so, it could just be that the strain causes an overload, or is badly handled. I don't know which error logs would be helpful here, anyone else have ideas?

Reaction score
    Hmm. It could be something to do with your graphics card not handling beam rendering properly, and Intel graphics are known to have many problems with StarMade. Is your average FPS pretty low? If so, it could just be that the strain causes an overload, or is badly handled. I don't know which error logs would be helpful here, anyone else have ideas?
    This has never been a problem before. It just started when I updated to the newest version. Maybe it could be something with the new version? I don't know.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    There were a lot of performance changes with the newest update, and lots of new graphical stuff. Which texture pack are you using, and what resolution? Are shadows on?

Reaction score
    There were a lot of performance changes with the newest update, and lots of new graphical stuff. Which texture pack are you using, and what resolution? Are shadows on?
    I have tried using the Realistic's Pack and the OldStyle Pack, using 1366 x 768, and shadows are off.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm. It seems like it's just excessive strain crashing it. Have you tried it on a multiplayer server? It could be that your computer can't effectively handle a server as well as a player.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Multiplayer wont help, it seems to be an issue with some combinations of Mac computers and some hardwares.

The only solution currently is:
    Go ingame, press esc, look for general option:
    Draw Beams
    and uncheck it.

As there maybe updates on the status of this, I'll point this reply to one of the testers that could reproduce this bug and pin it down to MAC/HW combination. So there MAY be updates on this. (Or you could come into contact to narrow down the chipset that causes this)

Andy summons macish Comr4de lvl 20. o_O

- Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Hmm. It seems like it's just excessive strain crashing it. Have you tried it on a multiplayer server? It could be that your computer can't effectively handle a server as well as a player.
    I have been on SinglePlayer the whole time. Never been on a server once.

Reaction score
    Multiplayer wont help, it seems to be an issue with some combinations of Mac computers and some hardwares.

The only solution currently is:
    Go ingame, press esc, look for general option:
    Draw Beams
    and uncheck it.

As there maybe updates on the status of this, I'll point this reply to one of the testers that could reproduce this bug and pin it down to MAC/HW combination. So there MAY be updates on this. (Or you could come into contact to narrow down the chipset that causes this)

Comr4de

- Andy
    It's not just the Beams, it's also whenever I delete something when I am out of build mode

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    He may confirm or deny this issue too, as there seem to be some problems on that mac type. (Like the intel-video-cards equivalent on mac world. ^^°)

Reaction score
    He may confirm or deny this issue too, as there seem to be some problems on that mac type. (Like the intel-video-cards equivalent on mac world. ^^°)
    Should I just wait for the next update? Or what?

AndyP

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    for now disable docking beam and try again on next release. yes :(

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I HAVE BEEN SUMMONED

hi

Do you have an integrated processor? This is important. I've been able to reproduce this issue on a wide range of macs; and no PCs thus far. It seems that intel chipsets are the ones that are most prone to this bug. Also, PM me your system details found under "about this mac"...

...found here if you didn't know.

If you could also send me the model of your computer, that'd be great too. So far it seems that recent macs (2013+) don't suffer from this bug, we're just trying to figure out why.

It's not just the Beams, it's also whenever I delete something when I am out of build mode
    Hi, since update .014 blocks are placed/removed via the Fabricator tool. This tool shoots a BEAM that places/removes blocks. That's why you've been crashing.

Last edited: