Game Closes after roughly a minute of run-time

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So sometime between the 4th and the 12th of july, starmade has become unstable for me.
    Or my computer will not compute starmade.

Both these things are bad.

I am using the beta launcher, and after roughly 60 seconds after launching through steam it will close the game whether I am sitting in the main menu screen or holding 'W' moving around on a server. Game just closes, no error reports I think. Launcher itself is fine, does not close out when I am sitting in the launcher menu. Also I repaired the instillation after the first time, but it still happens.

Wait I do have logs. What do you guys want me to do with these?

Reaction score
    Wait I do have logs. What do you guys want me to do with these?
    Copy log.txt.0 to log.txt and graphcisinfo to graphcisinfo.txt (basically just make sure both files have .txt as their extension, the forum doesn't like "unknown" file types) and attach them to your next post in this thread.

EDIT:
    Before posting, you may want to go through the files in an editor and censor any data you don't want to make public (user names/paths mostly)

Reaction score
    Log 3, 4, and 5 are from states where the game worked, just for reference. Log 0, 0lck, 1, and 2 are from today.
    Nothing suspicious in there as far as I can tell, apart from their unexpected end. My Windows knowledge isn't current enough to be of any more help, sorry. Maybe it's a thermal problem? I know it's a stretch, but it doesn't hurt to check your computer's fans and heat sinks for dust every once in a while...

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    You are running on older intel hardware. Make sure your drivers are up to date plz.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    and move the whole installation out of
    C:\Users\Nathaniel\AppData\Roaming\

choose a new install path in the Launcher for it C:\Starmade for example would do nicely
    Screenshot_12.jpg

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    winkey+r ->"msconfig" -> run -> tools tab ->computer management -> launch -> system tools -> event viewer -> summary of administrative events -> "critical" and "error" (look for halts).

how long since you last cleaned your heatsinks? both cpu and gpu.
    ->rivatuner or hwmblackbox -> monitor your thermal info.

boot from windows install disc, run ram test program.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Okay guys, i will do after work, next break I will post computer specs

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    You are running on older intel hardware. Make sure your drivers are up to date plz.
    Intel doesnt support some of these parts anymore :/

My computer died a few months ago again, and some of the stuff, like the USB bus still doesnt work.
    Windows update corrupted itself again already, and the computer bluescreens whenever it tries to start up from sleep mode or from when the lid is closed.
    [doublepost=1468369654,1468368947][/doublepost]When i get back i can grab what type of i7 it has, it is 2.3 Ghz speed, and 8 gigs of memory.
    Has 2 graphics cards (yay shitty integrated graphics) with a really bad AMD or something in it.
    Cant wait to finish surviving the day so I can go back and do it again :/

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Intel Core i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    8.00 GB RAM
    64 bit Op System

AMD Radeon HD 7400M series
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Intel 6 series/C200 chipset too

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    winkey+r ->"msconfig" -> run -> tools tab ->computer management -> launch -> system tools -> event viewer -> summary of administrative events -> "critical" and "error" (look for halts).

how long since you last cleaned your heatsinks? both cpu and gpu.
    ->rivatuner or hwmblackbox -> monitor your thermal info.

boot from windows install disc, run ram test program.
    7/12/2016 11:51:06AM
    Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Other than that, no criticals or normal errors around the timeframe that I tried to play starmade at all :/

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Intel Core i7-2675QM CPU @ 2.20 GHz
    8.00 GB RAM
    64 bit Op System

AMD Radeon HD 7400M series
    Intel HD Graphics 3000

Intel 6 series/C200 chipset too
    So in a dual graphics card system you need to tell the operating system what card to use as well. ATI should have a tool for this as the Nvidia driver does this as well. Perhaps SmilingDemon has experience with this?

Reaction score
    • Tester
    i would love to give any advice .. but i cant ... non of my AMD equipped systems has a second GPU.
    i did google that here amd laptop gpu switch - YouTube
    maybe one of those first two videos is of any help to switch to the AMD GPU for Java operation.

your graphcis info suggests that you are running the game indeed with the Intel 3000 iGPU
    the Log0.txt ends in midair without an error .. no idea what to make out of that.

did you install the game to a new location (other than that appdata thing as i did suggest?)

Reaction score
    My first thought as well, but apparently it did run previously, and I think it would at least throw an exception or something, not simply stop at random points. The more or less repeatable timing is what made me think heat, or otherwise faulty hardware, might be an issue.

So in a dual graphics card system you need to tell the operating system what card to use as well.
    The logs from when it was running indicate the Intel board was the one being used back then as it is now. While it may improve performance to specify the Radeon card, I doubt that's the issue here.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    i still say thermal indo (getting past 70 degrees?) maid work the heatsinks.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Well I moved it to c:/games, I updated intel, and I told the graphics card that it needs to use the better one again, but still nothing.
    Its also not a heat issue, the computer I have is known for its outstanding ability to manage heat for a simple laptop. I booted up a stellaris save with a huge galaxy in the endgame and while the computer was chugging for a few places, not even 6 youtube videos running in the background caused it to error out like starmade was doing.

Okay, I tried one other thing of switching from using the beta launcher to using the default bad looking one and now everything is working fine again!

Issue Closed

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Well I moved it to c:/games, I updated intel, and I told the graphics card that it needs to use the better one again, but still nothing.
    Its also not a heat issue, the computer I have is known for its outstanding ability to manage heat for a simple laptop. I booted up a stellaris save with a huge galaxy in the endgame and while the computer was chugging for a few places, not even 6 youtube videos running in the background caused it to error out like starmade was doing.

Okay, I tried one other thing of switching from using the beta launcher to using the default bad looking one and now everything is working fine again!

Issue Closed
    No that's a big issue still technically. Did it redownload the game?