Read by Council Galactic Map - Exploration

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We have this cool galactic map but we know more than perhaps we should.. how about we add the 'fog of war' in that you only know what you can see or have scanned. It would mean a 'map' locally stored for each server you visit (and sometimes replaced in a wipe). The client would not store exact data only 'permission' for a level of display, once explored you always have that level of updated information available (so a new warpgate in an old explored sector is listed).

With this change we would have to explore a galaxy, you still have a coordinate system but you don't know every station/planet in systems you never visited. Somethings would show at greater ranges than others (brighter stars & black holes) because they emit (or distort) in a significant way. Here's a list of some of things I envision it doing:
    • Making scanners much more useful, exploration becomes a personal mission/benefit. The results of a scan give the same as now plus:
      1. Details of the current sector (station, planets, usual stuff)
      2. Warpgate terminus detected from 1 sector (line drawn but not fully)
      3. Faction ownership detected from 2 sectors
      4. Planets & Asteroid fields detected from 3 sectors
      5. Stars detected a twice 'normal' range (see below)
    • Stars varying brightness determines when a player get them on his map. Depending on how many brightness levels the range of detection will vary (doubled by scanners)
    • Maps only need to be recalculated at these points:
      1. Change of sector (normal travel or teleport)
      2. End of a Jump
      3. End of Warpgate
      4. End of a Wormhole
    • Wormholes need to be explored to learn the terminus. I would like some wormholes to be 'traps' that go nowhere but collect derelict ships that could not escape (perhaps the end of a wormhole chain)
    • Shops could sell local 'maps' which simply update the player map once activated (consumed by use) and even have a value increase farther from their source sector.
    The local 'Galactic Map' could be stored as a simply matrix with flags for what is displayed (not the actual data) and the level of detail. Some sectors could be 'auto-detected' regardless of range by an admin setting/permission.

Ok that's my idea.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Interesting... I think this would be bothersome in some ways, but it would add spice to the game. Here's what I'd change/add:
    • Stars should be detectable from much farther than you suggested
    • There needs to be a clear way to see what has been explored, and where something might still be hiding
    • I'd like to see factions share their map data between players
    • Players in general should also be able to trade map data so the flipping Trade Guild doesn't have a monopoly on cartography
    • Random fragmented map data should be found as loot in pirate stations (not necessarily maps of the area they're found in)

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Stars should be detectable from much farther than you suggested
    • There needs to be a clear way to see what has been explored, and where something might still be hiding
    • I'd like to see factions share their map data between players
    • Players in general should also be able to trade map data so the flipping Trade Guild doesn't have a monopoly on cartography
    • Random fragmented map data should be found as loot in pirate stations (not necessarily maps of the area they're found in)
    The devs can set star detection ranges to whatever (inverse brightness). I do think though I'd have all ranges modified by scanner strength & efficiency (more blocks goes farther and higher efficiency moves up the level of detail). Love the idea of having a 'Faction Map' that all members contribute to, might even make it a rank activated 'perk' to stop map stealing (should you keep the info if you leave the faction?)

Map as loot, yes.. player maps for sale, too complicated I think as it's client side data.

Good suggestions,

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Map as loot, yes.. player maps for sale, too complicated I think as it's client side data.
    I can see it working as a per-entity matrix on the server. But on the client? If it's stored on the client computer, that matrix better be very well encrypted, or else cheaters will clear the client-side matrix, as if they had scanned everything everywhere in zero time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    qball this idea is good, but please do not bump old threads, as when it was first proposed, it was on the front page.

Jh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    For the faction map maybe have it an item that when you go to it it updates itself from drawing the data from your map and if any new data is in the faction map you get it?

Also I think stars should be seen anywhere. I wouldn't want to fly out of the universe/into void space very often.

Reaction score
    As a post this one is a little old, however it does suggest something interesting a form of game play for some people that is more like survival then the current method of look at your map and know every destination, planet, asteroid and what-not, now i'm no genius but i would support a form of play where you have to find it to know where it is, this being able to look up someones base you've never been too and don't exists is not fun, especially with some player who "hunt you down" the second you start getting a descent number of faction members.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Wormholes should never be purely traps. That's cheap. If they were never meant to be explored, then they shouldn't transport you anywhere.

Reaction score
    Well traps is one thing, but a cheap form of transportation around a galaxy is another, thats why we have ftl, wormholes should be made to pull you in the catapult you across unknown spaces to somewhere else, unknown, in the games current form people use them to setup bases, and to move ships and fleets to attack people, i'm opposed to this, but what can you do.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Well traps is one thing, but a cheap form of transportation around a galaxy is another, thats why we have ftl, wormholes should be made to pull you in the catapult you across unknown spaces to somewhere else, unknown, in the games current form people use them to setup bases, and to move ships and fleets to attack people, i'm opposed to this, but what can you do.
    Well I'm still against wormhole traps, but it might be interesting if you had to explore wormholes before knowing their paths.

And what if - when you reenter space after going through a wormhole, your star map is completely blank, and you have to explore and buy maps to fill it up again just like before. You would get all your old star map data back (your computer would figure out where your new map data is in relation to your old map data) when you reenter a system you have been in before. Or perhaps by buying it from the trading guild.

Jh

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    There could be a new type of wormhole!
    Unstable wormholes that aren't always there and can every time it opens again it should transport you random places each time. Also split wormholes that change the wormhole they transport you to each time and once they've got to their last destination it starts from the beginning again. Every time you go through a normal wormhole if one of these is connected with it then you have a chance of going there instead. And maybe if your unlucky when you turn around to go back through they have changed destinations/closed.

Reaction score
    I think making the scanners a more useful mechanic (not that it isn't already) would add another aspect to the game. Some of my thinking:

- Being able to explore a new unexplored area, scan it, then return and sell the map of the explored system would be great.
    - The strength/type of scanner could determine the detail of the scans... I.e. low powered scan would only determine the type, location, affiliation etc of nearby points of interest.
    - This mechanic may slow down the expansion of the inhabited systems... New players wouldn't want to bump into pirates... I think this is a good thing...
    - Maps showing the location of some of the rare resources would be more valuable... (Treasure maps!?)
    - these ideas in conjunction with other suggestions would work well I think.

Reaction score
    Oh, and another idea... There could be a weapon or effect (maybe EMP?) That wipes the map data from your ship so you need to go back to your station or faction to get it back...