Forum signature content size

Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I hate to be this guy, but the use of signature images is starting to get a little out of hand with multi-megabyte animated GIFs. If I remember correctly the rule was left very loose, which is OK to a point. Perhaps it is time for some more concrete guidance?

Reactions: CyberTao

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Or at least a way to disable them if you don't want to see 'em.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    Or at least a way to disable them if you don't want to see 'em.
    Much easier said than done, in most cases, starmadedock.net doesn't even know anything about the file, as it is hosted externally. Unless you want to apply that rule to ALL images.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know this sounds rude, but

Is this really a problem? Do people really still have such shoddy internet that a gif kills it?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I know this sounds rude, but

Is this really a problem? Do people really still have such shoddy internet that a gif kills it?
    I expect it might be phone related? I know I get something like 500 kb/s download on average, and there have been people that make that feel halfway decent with their internet horror stories. So yeah, doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

Much easier said than done, in most cases, starmadedock.net doesn't even know anything about the file, as it is hosted externally. Unless you want to apply that rule to ALL images.
    I was half asleep and kinda just babbling without thinking. It wouldn't be hard to detect a file type though, right? Just turn gifs into a still image, and have them play/looped with clicked on.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I was half asleep and kinda just babbling without thinking. It wouldn't be hard to detect a file type though, right? Just turn gifs into a still image, and have them play/looped with clicked on.
    The server actually doesn't process any of the images (when loading a page), even those that are uploaded here. When you upload anything on this site, it goes to an external storage system (Amazon S3). The page is loaded by the browser, the image is loaded from an external location and the server never processes it, only your browser. We could still-image all gifs uploaded here (through conversion), but that wouldn't actually solve the problem as most images are from external sites.

We could stop all images in signatures, but that's definitely not a solution.

There is no viable automated system and the problem is not a large enough one to try as far as I'm aware. Manual moderation can do this, however specified dimensions and rules will need to be made.

Here are the rules:

6. Avatars and signatures need to be of a reasonable size. Abuse of any of these privileges will result in revocation of them.

Our system will resize any avatar that is submitted without a chance for cropping. If you don't like this, or would rather have a more advanced system, we also support Gravatars.

Signature Rules and Guidelines:

• You can link to your homepage or favourite site, but you can not use it for advertising.
    • Limit your signatures to several lines.
    • Please keep the coloured text to a minimum (and your signature readable).
    • Please make sure your signature adheres to the other rules and guidelines found on this page
    • We reserve the right to edit signatures that we consider (but not limited to): too big, flashy or inappropriate.

Reaction score
    Can't really see how this comes up as a problem.....I genuinely find forum signatures to be like the best part of the this forum. ^_^

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i think it(gif in signature) is okay for computer
    But it works bad on mobile browsing.
    I suggest we have a mobile version, and just disable the code,
    so everyone have to click the link to see any picture with mobile access.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i think it(gif in signature) is okay for computer
    But it works bad on mobile browsing.
    I suggest we have a mobile version, and just disable the code,
    so everyone have to click the link to see any picture with mobile access.
    There already is no signature in the mobile version.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431670491,1431670446][/DOUBLEPOST]

Reaction score
    • Tester
    To be honest ... i do not have the slowest possible internet access, but big pictures or animated gifs are a big annoyance at least when you are reading a forums thread.