Implemented Force field blocks

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Edit: This suggestion was made before forcefield were implemented into the game.

A force field block: something that doesn't allow anything to pass through while it's active (including projectiles). Can be activated and deactivated with logic.

What I'm asking for is basically a plex door type block with a fancy semi-transparent energy field texture when it's active (extra points if that texture is animated). It would turn invisible and act like open plex doors when inactive.

Uses: Hangar doors, walkways, security barriers, and overall amazing stuff. Maybe even simulating holograms?

Very Optional: Have it be controlled by a force-field controller block, a bit like an area trigger controller. That block is necessary to activate a force-field. If it is destroyed the force field blocks linked to it turn off. Could prove to be a fun RP element.

Ps: kupu all the work would basically be done by you (since it only requires a new texture).

Last edited:

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Holograms I've always conceptualized as being similar, but instead it's always something you can walk through rather than solid when it is lit up.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Holograms I've always conceptualized as being similar, but instead it's always something you can walk through rather than solid when it is lit up.
    Good point, I was just trying to think of something fun to use forcefield blocks. Of course, hologram blocks IN ADDITION would be even better! Right now I just use glass to simulate holograms.

That's just a little extra though (holograms aren't the point of force field blocks) :P

Reactions: X3S

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Good point, I was just trying to think of something fun to use forcefield blocks. Of course, hologram blocks IN ADDITION would be even better! Right now I just use glass to simulate holograms.

That's just a little extra though :p
    At the time when I was working on them there was some issues between it being non-physical and it emitting light. I think since then it has been resolved. But yes force fields are planned for some time.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    At the time when I was working on them there was some issues between it being non-physical and it emitting light. I think since then it has been resolved. But yes force fields are planned for some time.
    Ah, good to know ^_^

*cough* planned tag *cough*

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    *cough cough* woah how did that get there, have no idea. lol

but yes, one day you won't have to use water for your force fields. and actually use water, for water.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I'd really like forcefields also, but just having it be a plexdoor analog would be wasted potential in my opinion. What if it denied enemy or non-faction members, but let friendly players pass through as normal when active?

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I'd really like forcefields also, but just having it be a plexdoor analog would be wasted potential in my opinion. What if it denied enemy or non-faction members, but let friendly players pass through as normal when active?
    I personally would like to see that option, we'll see what gets developed. At the moment there's a few bugs that need to be resolved to allow this to actually be implemented. I guess watch this space then.

Reactions: CaptainTaz

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Ps: kupu all the work would basically be done by you (since it only requires a new texture).
    Most of it was already done last week, but we await some further work to fix a rendering bug on transparent doors.
    Planned status is given as development was halted temporally.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424124690,1424124672][/DOUBLEPOST]OH THAT NINJA

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    Additionally, forcefield blocks could also work in a way that all blocks that are linked together are considered one single forcefield, and instead of taking out one block when attacking them, you would have to take down the entire forcefield (which could have an armour value equal to all the blocks in it combined)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Or you could just have something like the warp gates. You build a square or circular frame and the force field is projected in the center. If one of the block in the frame is take out the field goes down. You could also have it so that concentrated weapons fire will also bring it down, as it is like a shield.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ooooh, i wouldn't mind homebases being destructable if it is possible to have an invincible force field around them. would make more sense gameplaywise than magically being able to be invincible.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I was just about to post elsewhere a query as to whether or not anyone knew the details on the force field blocks that are being used on some servers such as Red Shift. They have a forcefield block the text for which says they are essentially blast doors but with a glowing, transparent texture. However they cost twenty times as much as blast doors and the crafting recipe uses 5 blast doors, 5 shield capacitors and 5 shield regenerators to make a single block.

I cannot help but wonder if they did not change something other than simply the texture. It makes absolutely no sense to me that they would make them be SO expensive solely for the looks. Does anyone have a clue as to what they might have done?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was thinking something of the opposite: invisible blocks that you can't walk through.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This would be nice, but I think it should work a little differently. It should always remain on, but let people through based on faction permissions, otherwise it seems like a glowing plexdoor. It'll be useful when we have air. Also, it could damage and stun hostile players who try to walk through.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would also be nice to colorize the field like one would colorize weapon systems. That way they could fit the ship or station's color scheme.

Reactions: Bench

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Awesome. The way I see it these could be differentiated from doors in two ways:
    - logic activation/deactivation only and/or
    - faction passthrough (modifyable with permission block) while active, anything else (including ALL weapons) never pass through

If we separate hologram and forcefield blocks, then please include all 5 shapes for holograms (while forcefields would likely turn out to be solid-only due to technical reasons, I assume).

Reaction score
    Would we be able to stand on it and move around (if it's horizontal) or would it kill us?
    I vote for standing
    This idea would also cause complications, such as how to have a good balance, after all a person could just plaster this stuff all over their ship and be invincible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    This idea would also cause complications, such as how to have a good balance, after all a person could just plaster this stuff all over their ship and be invincible.
    Good point, however, I think that force-fields as a ship defense might be interesting as a design idea if they have enough drawbacks.

Consider, make the force fields themselves be a graphical effect that occurs in a closed loop with modules similar to warp gates. This way they act as screens the way they are supposed to but the modules can always be destroyed once a ship's main shields are down. Having a force field screen that goes down with the loss of a single connection module is a large enough drawback that they will be used primarily as area-denial and not abused as second shields.

This idea would also avoid awkward holes from being shot into block force fields like Spartan-228 mentioned. Along with a combination of making the modules cost a significant amount and their fatal weakness once the main shields are down will ensure they are employed more for their purpose of area denial rather than a second set of ship shields. Using them any other way wouldn't be worth the trouble except for RP ships if they are implemented this way. (question is, CAN it be done this way)

Reaction score
    Good point, however, I think that force-fields as a ship defense might be interesting as a design idea if they have enough drawbacks.

Consider, make the force fields themselves be a graphical effect that occurs in a closed loop with modules similar to warp gates. This way they act as screens the way they are supposed to but the modules can always be destroyed once a ship's main shields are down. Having a force field screen that goes down with the loss of a single connection module is a large enough drawback that they will be used primarily as area-denial and not abused as second shields.

This idea would also avoid awkward holes from being shot into block force fields like Spartan-228 mentioned. Along with a combination of making the modules cost a significant amount and their fatal weakness once the main shields are down will ensure they are employed more for their purpose of area denial rather than a second set of ship shields. Using them any other way wouldn't be worth the trouble except for RP ships if they are implemented this way. (question is, CAN it be done this way)
    Yes, a single block destroyed would take down the entire force field, but what if the field's modules are on the inside? This would have to be one of the problems worked out.