For all you Youtubers Out there

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    Your videos where extremely messy and badly edited (to the point where the video ended in the middle of a sentence), also you often dump a lot of videos at once, after one of this floods i unsubscribed. This was the second time this has happened. I subscribed a long time ago, unsubscribed after (while?) a ship review marathon, then after so much shiny stuff was unveiled on your channel (remember the shitstorm after that?) i subscribed again...
    Also: i did not like your intro (it is better now), i do not like people filming themselves when playing (i just took a quick look - it seemed you stopped this, very good) and i do not share your kind of humor. Is this enough constructive criticism for you? Initially i did not write more because a lot of the above has been already said.
    You seem to favor quantity before quality, i do not. I do wish you good luck with your channel, have fun!
    its a matter of your personal taste..
    i watch 80% of MushroomFleet videos,and out of those 80% i watch 60-90% of the whole video.
    I like them,but that is my opinion,and that is the opinion of 5,480 people who subscribed to Tom.
    so he must be doing something right?
    Also here is a statement from Rimmer.. "i find your ships Laughably bad" (he was talking about me)
    he is a funny man isnt he? but that is his opinion. lol
    So people who hate MF,i feels sorry for you guys,doing nothing.. just spreading hate

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    Damn so many discussions about personal taste that I don´t have any sarcastic comment left. Just stop this. It´s stupid. Thanks.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    1. Do not take 2 minutes to get to the point of the video. Introductions should be short and to the point.
    Some people prefer longer videos. I get requests for 15 minute videos all the time. However most people click off to something else by 3:40 average, so I split videos up into parts and always get to the point in under 3:40. if they are longer there will be some bonus clips of interest to reward those that actually watch the full video. These days its concurrent sessions you want not just playtime per video. look into the partner guides for monetisation on youtube and twitch to learn more. ~I try to advise people inside of what i have direct experience with.
    1. Do not spend longer than approx. 10 seconds on an intro. This is is not saturday morning cartoons I don't need to be pumped up with a 1min theme song. Shorter is better.
    Some people like a different intro every time, some people think arbitrary numbers work. I like 8 seconds or 12 seconds. Why? the reasoning is that the music tends to work in pairs or fours. you can't just cut audio because you are up to 10 seconds. It depends on the source footage used and audio. It's never an open and shut case. Typically a cartoon will have an intro of 1 minute 30 seconds so please do over exagerate this non-issue.
    1. Do not apologize for crappy quality in sound or video. If you know its crappy quality then fix it or don't make a video. Nobody is giving you props for doing what you're supposed to.
    Sometime we have technical problems and the audience understands we are not working on a serious budget. as volunteers this means no videos until they can afford a new mic, which most cannot afford. I know most of us save for motnhs to get the equipment we need to run streams and edit.
    1. Do not say ' I thought X might be interesting so I made a video about X'. Of course you did. Stop wasting my time telling me you made the video I am watching.
    This is just presentation lingo, it is used often in professional broadcasting and youtube/twitch are personality based. You could go watch this content on any channel - its the presentation that keeps you coming back in most cases not the quality.
    1. Do not talk about editing your videos.
    If you do not like this, try not to clikc on those videos, I have done releases on the editing process to help others advance, most people are self taught. I even stream editing on a regular basis - people like to see the effort and time that goes into each release. This bring s the audience closer to the host.
    1. Stop saying 'yeah, um, so, like, you know, okay,' with long pauses after. Long pauses in general are bad. You are not William Shatner. Do not speak like him.
    I AM WILLIAM SHATNER

1. Do not make a 'short' video longer than 5 minutes!
    that is short! 8 minutes is a short video. 3 hours is long. perspective can be a trick? I think my shortest videos are 30 seconds to 2 minutes but these are not consuidered "full releases" often they are used for quick updates and projects updates.
    1. Edit your videos down.
      -If you are just speaking for the sake of speaking, cut it out. Your audience doesn't love your voice, even if you might, we certainly don't care about a random thought that just entered your head, and we don't care about your personal life.
    You would be surprised how many successful personalities there are out there on Youtube right now, who exist because of the personality they have and the personal life they lead conbined with an active community following there ever move. That's fact. Viewers and followers do care about who they are watching. They do want to be able to interact with the broadcasters. Intrigue in that character or characters and the fact that person cares about the viewers gives rise to those genuine interests.

1. -If you are just building or editing or doing any task repetitively, skip to the end. I dont need to see you remove all the wedge blocks on your titan. I get how to remove wedge blocks.
    Some people do not know everything in the game, some people are in fact first time watchers. This means that often a broadcaster will make a point of demonstrating many basic things every time. This is not for you, this is for newcomers. They do not know and would love to be shown these simple tasks. It may seem repetitive for you, but a Host must be aware of more than just one minor demographic of older more experienced players. Noobies are the grassroots of a small game like this so we need to encourage them and expect the older hands to know they not being told how to do simple things.

1. Stop using the word 'interesting' so much. If everything is interesting , nothing is interesting. This is particularly important for ship reviews. Use other adjectives. Buy a thesaurus if you need to.
    Interesting you say that, because the word is the most apt for the situations it is used. That You do not like to heer the word means you are annoyed by it and nothing more. I find it incredibly interesting, one might say Thrilled by the notion you are annoyed by such a benign word - while used in correct context no less!
    1. PRACTICE and EDIT your videos! The odds of you getting a perfect 20 minute video in one take is 0%. Really I can't think of any Starmade video that should be longer than 10 minutes.
    I do all ship reviews as a live broadcast, these are edited down into seperate per ship videos before being uploaded to youtube. I must record between the hours of midnight and 5am up to three times each week. That means I do 25 ships reviews in one take and then split them. The idea I would need to script someone else telling me about there ship is pretty funny. In others words I have had a lot of practive I run over 10 other channels.

Please tell me more about your ideas.[DOUBLEPOST=1417038752,1417038598][/DOUBLEPOST]

dude. just stop. its too funny. Thanks for re-subscribing, again :D
    Time to make some constructive criticism on your videos.
    (might involve a bit personal taste)

The intro is in my ears horrible, way too loud sound to have in an intro. I can agree that different intros can be nice so that it is easy to know: "oh this is a ship lineup" or " ahh speedbuild time" and so on

Please try to do what you can on the audio, it's really annoying when your voice is loud and the person you are talking to is so silent you can barely hear him/her shouting.

And do try to not cut a video mid sentence, I have noticed you have done this multiple times and it annoys me extremely much.

Otherwise your videos tend to be quite good and/or alright, except for the music which is far from my taste. :p

Oh and try to not seem too full of yourself, you might be making some "good" videos in an mazing quantity but no one likes a person who thinks he is a god.

Conclusion :
    continue with the vids but try to make the editing a bit better and see if you can do something about the sound volume problems :p

Reactions: Tomino_sama
    Reaction score
    I never said i hate MF (wtf?), but i am just not the target audience... so what?
    F*cking PewDiPie is apparently the biggest channel out there and i can not bring myself to watch more than 2 minutes of his stuff...so you are probably better off not listening to anything i ever said (which was just my honest opinion, nothing personal).

Who likes whose ships is not of my concern.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Tomino_sama You have completely missed the point on a couple of my points. Furthermore, you are looking at the exceptions rather than the general rule. Let me explain.

1. Do not take 2 minutes to get to the point of the video. Introductions should be short and to the point.
    Some people prefer longer videos. I get requests for 15 minute videos all the time. However most people click off to something else by 3:40 average, so I split videos up into parts and always get to the point in under 3:40. if they are longer there will be some bonus clips of interest to reward those that actually watch the full video. These days its concurrent sessions you want not just playtime per video. look into the partner guides for monetisation on youtube and twitch to learn more. ~I try to advise people inside of what i have direct experience with.
    This is not about the length of the video. How did you get length of video out of introduction? This is about how long you take to establish the purpose. If this is longer than two minutes. People stop watching. This is mostly true for tutorials and reviews though some let's plays and other releases would benefit from this too.

1. Do not spend longer than approx. 10 seconds on an intro. This is is not saturday morning cartoons I don't need to be pumped up with a 1min theme song. Shorter is better.
    Some people like a different intro every time, some people think arbitrary numbers work. I like 8 seconds or 12 seconds. Why? the reasoning is that the music tends to work in pairs or fours. you can't just cut audio because you are up to 10 seconds. It depends on the source footage used and audio. It's never an open and shut case. Typically a cartoon will have an intro of 1 minute 30 seconds so please do over exagerate this non-issue.
    You're right about 8 to 12 seconds. I split the difference hoping people would realize a bit shorter or longer is okay, but not much longer. Varied intros are good too, but that doesn't excuse them from the general rule.

1. Do not apologize for crappy quality in sound or video. If you know its crappy quality then fix it or don't make a video. Nobody is giving you props for doing what you're supposed to.
    Sometime we have technical problems and the audience understands we are not working on a serious budget. as volunteers this means no videos until they can afford a new mic, which most cannot afford. I know most of us save for months to get the equipment we need to run streams and edit.
    who cares? Nobody cares if you have crappy equipment. In fact it is expected in a amature video. As you said the audience understands. Don't tell your viewer what they already know. Its boring. Try and minimizer it the best you can and move on.

1. Do not say ' I thought X might be interesting so I made a video about X'. Of course you did. Stop wasting my time telling me you made the video I am watching.
    This is just presentation lingo, it is used often in professional broadcasting and youtube/twitch are personality based. You could go watch this content on any channel - its the presentation that keeps you coming back in most cases not the quality.
    Its bad presentation lingo. Yes it is often used, but it is bad form. It is a waste of time. Your title should get the point across so I already know something about the video. In general don't do this because other people do this.

1. Do not talk about editing your videos.
    If you do not like this, try not to clikc on those videos, I have done releases on the editing process to help others advance, most people are self taught. I even stream editing on a regular basis - people like to see the effort and time that goes into each release. This bring s the audience closer to the host.
    This is a meaningless point. It is impossible to avoid these videos. If I were to avoid these then I would avoid almost all of youtube. Furthermore people don't warn you in the title or description, "WARNING BAD FORM AHEAD, we talk about editing out of context of the video". It does not bring the audience closer to the host. In fact it pushes them away. The majority of viewers are not video editors themselves and they don't care you you made yours. They want you to get to the point of the video.

1. Do not make a 'short' video longer than 5 minutes!
    that is short! 8 minutes is a short video. 3 hours is long. perspective can be a trick? I think my shortest videos are 30 seconds to 2 minutes but these are not consuidered "full releases" often they are used for quick updates and projects updates.
    The difference between a release and "full release" is nuance for video makers. You've put something out for the public to view. That is a full release. This used more often as an excuse to not do your best in a video. Length has nothing to do with it. The point of this one is really for people to stop saying ," this is going to be a short video" (which in itself is bad form) and then rambling on for 15 minutes.

Stop saying 'yeah, um, so, like, you know, okay,' with long pauses after. Long pauses in general are bad. You are not William Shatner. Do not speak like him.
    still don't do this. It is annoying.

1. Edit your videos down.
      -If you are just speaking for the sake of speaking, cut it out. Your audience doesn't love your voice, even if you might, we certainly don't care about a random thought that just entered your head, and we don't care about your personal life.
    You would be surprised how many successful personalities there are out there on Youtube right now, who exist because of the personality they have and the personal life they lead conbined with an active community following there ever move. That's fact. Viewers and followers do care about who they are watching. They do want to be able to interact with the broadcasters. Intrigue in that character or characters and the fact that person cares about the viewers gives rise to those genuine interests.
    If you think I am naive to the rest of youtube then you should take a step back and actually think about your audience. There is some room for this, but not in tutorials, and very little in reviews. There is lots of room for this in let's plays. An on screen personality is a good thing. Look at the people from Achievement Hunter and Roosterteeth. Yet their achievement guides are short and too the point. This is what all youtubers should strive for. They are one of the best because they have a personality, but they don't inflate their videos with it.

1. -If you are just building or editing or doing any task repetitively, skip to the end. I dont need to see you remove all the wedge blocks on your titan. I get how to remove wedge blocks.
    Some people do not know everything in the game, some people are in fact first time watchers. This means that often a broadcaster will make a point of demonstrating many basic things every time. This is not for you, this is for newcomers. They do not know and would love to be shown these simple tasks. It may seem repetitive for you, but a Host must be aware of more than just one minor demographic of older more experienced players. Noobies are the grassroots of a small game like this so we need to encourage them and expect the older hands to know they not being told how to do simple things.

There are practically no people who need more than one example of how to remove a block. Even amongst newbies. Don't repeat it 50 times. Quick reviews of older stuff is okay. But really don't reinvent the wheel every video.

1. RACTICE and EDIT your videos! The odds of you getting a perfect 20 minute video in one take is 0%. Really I can't think of any Starmade video that should be longer than 10 minutes.
    I do all ship reviews as a live broadcast, these are edited down into seperate per ship videos before being uploaded to youtube. I must record between the hours of midnight and 5am up to three times each week. That means I do 25 ships reviews in one take and then split them. The idea I would need to script someone else telling me about there ship is pretty funny. In others words I have had a lot of practive I run over 10 other channels.
    Violation of rule 4: It doesn't matter, and nobody cares, that you edit from midnight to 5am.

This is fine, and you've found an exception rather than the general rule. You've missed a point in that you should not be asking someone to script their ship for you. This is not my point. I do not know how you made that leap. You should have some general idea of what you're going to say before you go into the video. As live broadcast a script is practically impossible so you don't need one, but you should know what kind of things you are looking for and going to say. It is less constraining than an exact script. That is to say it should have some direction a priori. This should have been obvious.

I am someone who does professional presenting for a living. I am telling all of you the most basic presentation skills for free. Usually you have to take my courses at university for this. These are the bare minimum I expect out of college freshman and high school seniors in the United States. You all can perform at least this well. Nobody expects the absolute best presentations out of you, however some of you need to improve your videos such that they reach basic amature standards. If you have questions send me a message. I am more than happy to help.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I am not a college Freshman :D So I am Glad you Agree.

also "Violation of rule 4: It doesn't matter, and nobody cares, that you edit from midnight to 5am. "

You misunderstand me, I said I livestream recording events from 12am until 5am - this is to suit an American Audience. I do not edit in the middle of the night and yes - nobody cares, but why bring it up? you seem to.

There are new players you are ignoring who do not know about the block remove/replace feature, this is not a standard in any other voxel game (excluding the mods Voxelsniper and worldedit in minecraft)

Many people are unaware of these advanced building features and it is quite ignorant to assume that so many new players pickign the game this week should automatically know about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1417047290,1417046766][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Time to make some constructive criticism on your videos.
    (might involve a bit personal taste)

The intro is in my ears horrible, way too loud sound to have in an intro. I can agree that different intros can be nice so that it is easy to know: "oh this is a ship lineup" or " ahh speedbuild time" and so on

Please try to do what you can on the audio, it's really annoying when your voice is loud and the person you are talking to is so silent you can barely hear him/her shouting.

And do try to not cut a video mid sentence, I have noticed you have done this multiple times and it annoys me extremely much.

Otherwise your videos tend to be quite good and/or alright, except for the music which is far from my taste. :p

Oh and try to not seem too full of yourself, you might be making some "good" videos in an mazing quantity but no one likes a person who thinks he is a god.

Conclusion :
    continue with the vids but try to make the editing a bit better and see if you can do something about the sound volume problems :p

Thanks for your constructive this is the perfect feedback post I wish they were all like this. I have a new mic it is extremely sensitive, while i appreciate that quality could be better I do have an extreme throughput compared with other broadcaster who concentrate on quality so to speak. I think we did 180 ship reviews in one week. I am trying to only release one per day, however this means that one week of reviews, produces enough videos until next march. This isn't great if you were waiting for your ship to come out.

I see people unsub when i release a lot of videos, which is disappointing because it takes the same time per episode and obviously its harsh for those that wanted to have there ship seen. Also each time I have "dumped" many videos on one day, while i lose 8 people I gain 300 more, so its hard to say if its a bad thing. I prefer to use scheduling :D

Thanks for your comments Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am not a college Freshman :D So I am Glad you Agree.

also "Violation of rule 4: It doesn't matter, and nobody cares, that you edit from midnight to 5am. "

You misunderstand me, I said I livestream recording events from 12am until 5am - this is to suit an American Audience. I do not edit in the middle of the night and yes - nobody cares, but why bring it up? you seem to.

There are new players you are ignoring who do not know about the block remove/replace feature, this is not a standard in any other voxel game (excluding the mods Voxelsniper and worldedit in minecraft)

Many people are unaware of these advanced building features and it is quite ignorant to assume that so many new players pickign the game this week should automatically know about it.[DOUBLEPOST=1417047290,1417046766][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I see what you mean now.

Still don't go over block removal in every video. Make one video about advanced build mode and move on. Reference it when necessary. This is a much more efficient and more productive path. I understand your point, but reteaching something every video makes it feel bloated. This is also just one example. A few newbies might like it, but more experienced viewers will skip or stop watching.

Reactions: Mariux