Foolproof anti-theft ship security systems.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    That's right people, and it's all going to be possible thanks to the logic system. It's a long text but I suggest you give it a read.

The problem I was facing: I plan on using my titan (or any other large ships) on servers but don't really feel like having it stolen. I don't really fear external thieves because of the way the faction system works, they'd basically have to crack the shields first and dodge the hailstorm of turret fire that would come next. No, what I'm really worried about is spies! Adding a codded door lock to the core room is nice and all, but it's very easy to dig through it (not to mention that's it's possible to open it with "r"). So, I needed a solution to that rather... annoying problem.

THE SOLUTION (tm): That's where the pulsar comes in play. Hooking up a proximity sensor (or whatever it's called) to a lock system controlling a pulsar located besides the ship core would kill any unwanted intruder.

Explanation: Considering that the ship would have a core room, the proxy sensor could be configured to activate whenever someone gets in that room. Hooking this up to a pulsar (which will deal damage in the next patch) effectively means that anyone getting close to the core instantly dies. Add in a code lock to activate or deactivate the system and you've got yourself a spy/troll proof anti theft system!!!

Note: This is all done assuming that the logic blocks can control weapon systems.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    We can already hook weapons up to the logic blocks, this is a hilarious, ingenious and potentially effective idea.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    You would have to prevent any intruder from having access to any of your turret or docked ships as well though since they could enter any one and swap to the ship's core.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    There is going to be proximity sensors? How did I miss that???

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It is just the pre-version right now.

Counter: Although I like the mechanic for these traps, I think it would be OP if we ever implement ship-ship combat with an enter-ship function.

I think we should prepare for the case everything in-between top-y to lowest-y && front-z to back-z && left-x to right-x is protected from a ship's weapons.

Reaction score
    It would be intresting to know how pulsars will actually work. Or better... what they affect. I actually hope that pulsars won't effect turrets or faction members since that would only limit their viability.
    I think its a pretty interesting weapon, but will probably be either totally overpowered or completly useless or completly impracticable (hitting faction members/hitting turrets/hitting nearby neutral factions.

Counter: Although I like the mechanic for these traps, I think it would be OP if we ever implement ship-ship combat with an enter-ship function.

I think we should prepare for the case everything in-between top-y to lowest-y && front-z to back-z && left-x to right-x is protected from a ship's weapons.
    I would consider that automated weapons only shoot in a straight line. This would mean that even the deadliest deathcube of death has dead corners. :cool:
    Currently its possible to mount turrets on all side of the cube, which is pretty much the same... but more accurate.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Not quite, it would be possible to reverse engineer the lock using a build block and short circuiting it. Or just stealing the password.

It would just require some more thinkering!

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Dragleones The point is to use a pulsar that would create a pulse the size of the room. If it doesn't kill faction members it would be pretty useless in this case. It could also totally kill me if I didn't deactivate it!

Last edited by a moderator:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dragleones The point is to use a pulsar that would create a pulse the size of the room. If it doesn't kill faction members it would be pretty useless in this case. It could also totally kill me if I didn't deactivate it!
    They scale non-linear, making it difficult to get <30m and >500m both.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    A grid of lasers activated by that proximity sensor would work, though I'm not sure if the lasers would harm faction members.

Reaction score
    I think you should make use of wedge-rotating to hide inputs for the lock mechanism for extra difficulty.

There is a fool solution, however:a faction member could recruit a nonfaction member with jamming or some form of protection to shoot off one of your turrets for them, then dock a turret to the empty dock and switch to the core.
    Docking mechanisms are very insecure for inside threats.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I think you should make use of wedge-rotating to hide inputs for the lock mechanism for extra difficulty.

There is a fool solution, however:a faction member could recruit a nonfaction member with jamming or some form of protection to shoot off one of your turrets for them, then dock a turret to the empty dock and switch to the core.
    Docking mechanisms are very insecure for inside threats.
    Then perhaps just installing pulsars right beside the dock along with detector?

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Faction permission blocks, keptick.
    I THINK they can prevent your own faction from interacting with specific blocks. I think.
    Haven't tested this out yet, since I don't do multiplayer with my nonexistant home internet connection.

+1 for creativity, though :D

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Faction permission blocks make people outside your faction be able to use stuff..

Reaction score
    If you removed faction access, I'm pretty sure that would remove your access too unless a specific player ownership system is being added or you mean removing faction access for lower tiers of members.

Reactions: Winterhome