Food and/or Fuel

Reaction score
    Quick, low priority suggestion. I think an optional food system would be good for the game. No need to go full minecraft and add farming etc. Shops could provide various food and drink types which can be stored in your inventory and eaten randomly when you get hungry. The food could also be stored in plex storage facilities on ship, and randomly eaten whilst in the core/weapons computer/ build block. This would add a use for storage chests other than carrying around ores or spare blocks. It might also add another precious resource to fight over in multiplayer. Let me know what you think, just popped into my head.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I say: maybe.

-Negative points are: it interrupts stuff easily, or shops might be out of everything, which causes mass starvation.
    -Good points are: it promotes RP, adds something to fight for, immersion goes boom.

I like this idea, and I think there should be a "hunger" option in the config, which can be turned on or off at will. Foodstuffs would then still remain in-game, and can still be used for more empty RP purposes, while not introducing limitations. It might even be useful for survival tournaments, trading, etc.

I support food. As long as we can have sashimi.

Reaction score
    Yeah I like that, everybody wins. Perhaps keeping your AI crew fed could become a requirement, making it more expensive and challenging to keep lots of crew members on your ship. It might also make it worthwhile to attempt to board a ship with an overheating core to try and find food storage containers and get the food off the ship before it blows.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I would rather ships require fuel to generate energy than food, make docking to stations required, deep space out posts useful and all that :)

Reactions: SkylordLuke
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I see interesting things. Perhaps a massive faction could hold a monopoly in quality foods, while the "peasants" of the universe hold very smudgy food. This would cause rebellions, and much more interesting events and - realistic - stories, in terms of all sci-fi that has oppressive corporations and syndicates.

Reaction score
    Yeah fuel would be great too. I just like the idea of some kind of "finite" or hard to obtain resource. Zeno that's a cool idea, the initial few weeks of server uptime would involve a scramble to find valuable food sources and an arms race, then eventually 1 or more powerful factions would emerge with all the best food. This could lead to big alliances being formed, with deals being made between factions to provide food in exchange for military support etc. Imagine the wars!

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Hmm, this makes me think, we should have some - more general - kinds of valuable, and rare assets, which would be so crucial, wars and other RP would form.

Reaction score
    Agreed. What is needed is a motivator. Once you set up a faction base and build a flagship and some fighters you're all done really. I tend to get bored. People need to be forced out to fight and/or scavenge. I think this would be a reasonable nerf to people who have managed to build massive, impregnable ships, the need for so much fuel etc to move and fight would force them to be constantly looking for it. If they're wealthy, this might be a good career chance for newer players, who could be paid to provide resources to big factions.

Reaction score
    As long as they have recepies you can buy with credits, because some servers wont restart often and I would not be happy if I starved without any way to not die after about an minute.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Food would be self sustaining, if we really want to get people going out, we need to have something that has to be dug for. Fuel of some sort would provide this. Basic, shuttlecraft size ships could still work the way they do now, but that form of power generation should be made way to inefficient in large numbers to even sustain any thing bigger than a runabout, this would force people to go out and search for the resources to make ship fuel, or trade with other players/factions for it.

Reaction score
    Rimmer that was exactly what I was just thinking. Some kind of ion propulsion system for smaller ships and maybe nuclear for larger ones.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    Rimmer that was exactly what I was just thinking. Some kind of ion propulsion system for smaller ships and maybe nuclear for larger ones.
    Nuclear doesn't seem Sci-fi enough for this game, something more like warp cores from Star Trek would fit in more (obviously not that name)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I agree with food, but not with fuel.

Reaction score
    I like the idea of food. I dont know how but maybe adverts could be incorporated in ;p
    I also like the idea of fuel but I kind of feel that something else people themselves dont actually need to use could be added such as a strange kind of valuable material; something that shops pay for highly but players don't actually need, and thus it would only be cargo or a valuable target for pirates (not AI).

Reaction score
    Having a fuel system wouldn't be fun in a singleplayer game (maybe a config file?), and food seems a bit more of an update when the actual game comes out, since we have bigger problems with all the new recent features. However, an ammo system would be a MAJOR addition. You'd have to make sure you didn't spray all of your ammo out immediately. Since it seems a bit off of the subject here, I'll start my own post on it. I'd rather all of you criticize it on my forum post rather than turn the argument on this post to something totally different.

Reaction score
    Love the idea of food. It's one of those things that people don't really think how important it is until it's not there. I also like the idea for having fuel but only for like FTL travel.

Reactions: Aratar
    for the fuel keep the power we have now but add a second power soucre that uses fuel and produces a lot more power for it space. the fuel will be useful for war factions that need a lot of power for their ships and cloaking ships.
    there should be a ways to make the fuel e.g plants, trees and space whales also food.
    food: if there was a need for food some people should be able to farm on planets or bio domes and sell their food to other people

Reaction score
    I like this idea: it can add an extra game mode of survival if done right and made optionsl, expanding the game's already large creative uses.

However I think this should be a late game addition.

Reactions: Jimbob7595
    Reaction score
    Absolutely, this is more of a long-term proposal. For now the emphasis needs to be (as it is) on creating a stable game and continuing the progression with the planets, weapons systems, AI etc. Obviously food and fuel would be hated by some and loved by others, so it should be optional, with servers setting their own rules.