Food and/or Fuel

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I wouldn't mind a food system as long as it is passive. You just keep food in your inventory and consume it as you need it. No "You are hungry you must eat now" If you are out of food then you slowly start to lose health. I would also like systems you can place on board to produce food, which could be a crew requirement as well. I have aeroponics and "protein synthesizers" on most of my ships I would love it if these actually did something.

Reactions: Aratar

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I wouldn't mind a food system as long as it is passive. You just keep food in your inventory and consume it as you need it. No "You are hungry you must eat now" If you are out of food then you slowly start to lose health. I would also like systems you can place on board to produce food, which could be a crew requirement as well. I have aeroponics and "protein synthesizers" on most of my ships I would love it if these actually did something.
    Building on this, if you had a ship or station with an "SD Food Processor", and you were on said ship or station, you should automatically refill your hunger.

Reaction score
    Food would be self sustaining, if we really want to get people going out, we need to have something that has to be dug for. Fuel of some sort would provide this. Basic, shuttlecraft size ships could still work the way they do now, but that form of power generation should be made way to inefficient in large numbers to even sustain any thing bigger than a runabout, this would force people to go out and search for the resources to make ship fuel, or trade with other players/factions for it.
    If you where not referring to my post, just tell me that and I'll delete this one or something. Or eat it, that would be strangely appropriate. Either way, I forgot to put his in and I wanted to say it:
    The reason for me wanting it is the same reason I have not tryed to beam or pulse weapons yet. I went forward for about 15 minutes and gave up because no shops had any of the new block. It would be horrible if I had no food sources after the update, because it is hard to find shops becuase nobody is going to from 50 23 89 to 12 10 4 just to sell 2500 random bamhugers.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    If you where not referring to my post, just tell me that and I'll delete this one or something. Or eat it, that would be strangely appropriate. Either way, I forgot to put his in and I wanted to say it:
    The reason for me wanting it is the same reason I have not tried to beam or pulse weapons yet. I went forward for about 15 minutes and gave up because no shops had any of the new block. It would be horrible if I had no food sources after the update, because it is hard to find shops because nobody is going to from 50 23 89 to 12 10 4 just to sell 2500 random bamhugers.
    Yes; this is why there needs to be some kind of /restock_all command that restocks all generated shops.

Reaction score
    Introduction of food & hunger, while quite easy to implement (even most simplistic system would work) would bring completely new quality to game.
    It would promote player-player interaction, enrich gameworld and would give a reason to colonize planets (with addition of simple farming) and allow a lot of new gameplay opportunities.

There are very few such simple systems that could change a game so much.
    I'm suprised why its not already implemented .

Do DevTeam take into consideration introduction of hunger&farming system ?

Withe Regards,
    Peter

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Fuel should be optional - they'd give your ship boosted performance. Food is a great idea.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The reason for me wanting it is the same reason I have not tryed to beam or pulse weapons yet. I went forward for about 15 minutes and gave up because no shops had any of the new block. It would be horrible if I had no food sources after the update, because it is hard to find shops becuase nobody is going to from 50 23 89 to 12 10 4 just to sell 2500 random bamhugers.
    They would if the food is priced right. The Sci Fi trope of delivering much-needed food to a starving entity (planet, space station, war front line, whatever) for whatever reason is classic and well-established for both selfish (big money!) and selfless (must feed the starving children!) players.

Plus, there should be lucrative quests for obtaining and delivering rare and/or contraband stuff. (Hunting space whales is illegal, like 10 to 20 years of hard-time illegal, but they taste better than chicken.)

Speaking of "better than chicken", this game could probably use a "morale" meter alongside the food meter. You can get full on standard 3-year-old rations, but you won't be nearly as happy as when you eat a 3-course meal with all the fixings. And a morale meter could have all kinds of other effects. (Maybe this will be a mod thing, though.)

The problem with a lot of trader games, is that buying basic items at a low price and selling at a high price (even as part of a quest) is not really normally fun, not lucrative enough, and takes a long time, so there needs to a -huge- price increase for needy destinations, in order to make delivery quests worthwhile. Those starving children need to empty their piggy banks if they want to eat.

A neat option that could be implemented for this game that I hadn't really seen before is optional quest-ending player-selectable options. Examples:
    Accept only half the reward "No citizen, I cannot accept your full payment. The pride of doing good is enough. I just need enough for gas and tolls."
    Demand more or else "No citizen, I want even more for this delivery, or I'll burn the cargo and watch you die slowly from orbit."
    Accept an unexpected alternate form of payment. "You don't have all of it, but you have up to x number of shield blocks you can give me? Deal!"

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Consumables make an economy work. If you don't need anything why not just build a pretty ship, find a pretty planet and settle into an orbit of eternal contentment?

How much and what consumables you need can add a lot of challenge and depth to the game. So can how you gather, transport, share and trade.
    • Food?
    • Water?
    • Air? (I imagine an enhancable atmosphere generator block that works a bit like the docking blocks. When on a hospitable planet or inside a life-support field, your suit recharges with air. When you exit atmosphere you automatically don your helmet (if you have one) or... well... we don't like to talk about it.
    • Fuel? Free energy offends me on some gut level. I'd love to see a half dozen different kinds of energy generators based on as many kinds of fuel, the higher the energy output, the rarer the fuel, etc. Some might even produce other consumables... like a hydrogen fuel cell generating water. or maybe a "power plant" that produces e when planted, but can also be eaten.
    • Parts? What if parts wore out just from use? Access the shop from within a ship, and maybe the shop salesman can scan your ship and tell you which parts are degraded before they stop functioning. (then auto replace them for credits)

What fun is a universe without a little entropy?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I really hate fuel, but the rest of it I don't mind... As long as repair could be done using an astrotech.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Consumables make an economy work. If you don't need anything why not just build a pretty ship, find a pretty planet and settle into an orbit of eternal contentment?

How much and what consumables you need can add a lot of challenge and depth to the game. So can how you gather, transport, share and trade.
    • Food?
    • Water?
    • Air? (I imagine an enhancable atmosphere generator block that works a bit like the docking blocks. When on a hospitable planet or inside a life-support field, your suit recharges with air. When you exit atmosphere you automatically don your helmet (if you have one) or... well... we don't like to talk about it.
    • Fuel? Free energy offends me on some gut level. I'd love to see a half dozen different kinds of energy generators based on as many kinds of fuel, the higher the energy output, the rarer the fuel, etc. Some might even produce other consumables... like a hydrogen fuel cell generating water. or maybe a "power plant" that produces e when planted, but can also be eaten.
    • Parts? What if parts wore out just from use? Access the shop from within a ship, and maybe the shop salesman can scan your ship and tell you which parts are degraded before they stop functioning. (then auto replace them for credits)

What fun is a universe without a little entropy?
    True, I would live to see fusion reactors, solar panels, and nuke reactors on ships and planets. The game can be a bit more interesting and involve some hard work up keeping fleets and ship. A 1000m ship only require one person to operate. We need some realism.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1418680168,1418679818][/DOUBLEPOST]Also if we make it to where if you grow food on planets you get better yields of food than space stations. That's if I is on a green planets. It would give planets more of an important role in the game.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I kind of alternate between liking the idea of fuel and hating it. On the one hand, it'd probably add a lot to the economy, but it'd also be annoying at times.

If a fuel system were added, I'd love to physically fill tanks on a ship with liquid fuels. That would look so unbelievably cool, to have functional fuel tanks that visibly went down.

There could be two types of fuel- low end and high end. Low end is cheaper to make but provides smaller amounts of fuel. It's better for big ships as they can hold a lot of it. High end is more expensive and much more efficient. You might only need a single block to provide fuel for your reactors on a fighter.

There should be a separate soft-cap for regen for all the different power methods. Fuel consuming, low-but-infinite reactors, and solar panels would all have different caps.

Also, regen from things docked on rails and rotors should be added to the main ship (accounting for soft caps of course) to allow for awesome things like solar panels that slide out.

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    If trees and plants grow and you can turn the trees into low quality fuel, that would be great.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I kind of alternate between liking the idea of fuel and hating it. On the one hand, it'd probably add a lot to the economy, but it'd also be annoying at times.
    I feel pretty much the same. I honestly think at this point, the pros are starting to outweigh the cons. As much as I love fuel and propellant tanks aesthetically, I could see the game going in a better direction with fuel tank modules that increase a fuel tank size variable or something, so at the same time we don't compromise builders. Attacking a ship's fuel tanks could also become a viable combat method for crippling ships.

The only thing we'll need with a fuel mechanic is also the inclusion of emergency impulse thrusters. Capped at fairly slow speeds that require no fuel, basically just so no one gets stuck in the middle of space. Or at least less of a chance of that occurring.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The power modules we have now should be half as powerful and not need fuel so old ships still work.

Reaction score
    I support both, turning it off could be as easy as a server.conf setting like "ENABLE_HUNGER_BAR". In addition once AI and npcs are a thing, there could be NPC farm worlds and hydroponic stations/facilities that grow food which you can barter or steal, and you could have hydroponic blocks for placement in your ship in the later game.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Meh; maybe as an option... To me, not having to actually eat the food ruins the whole point of it - might as well not have a hunger system at all, then.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Meh; maybe as an option... To me, not having to actually eat the food ruins the whole point of it - might as well not have a hunger system at all, then.
    The point of hunger I want is that you can't just disappear into the black for endless amounts of time. It's more keyed to RP style servers and yes it would have to be optional. I really don't think not having to stop and eat doesn't make the system pointless just that having to eat all the time would become more of a chore. Imagine you have a bag of chips sitting next to you as you fly your ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The point of hunger I want is that you can't just disappear into the black for endless amounts of time. It's more keyed to RP style servers and yes it would have to be optional. I really don't think not having to stop and eat doesn't make the system pointless just that having to eat all the time would become more of a chore. Imagine you have a bag of chips sitting next to you as you fly your ship.
    I could see myself doing that, personally; just grabbing a bag of Bearitos® Cocoa Pita Chips and sitting there, watching the stars go by, and making annoying crunching noises to piss off my helm officer...

...Jokes aside, all I was saying is that I feel that half the value in the hunger system is that it provides something to do RP-wise - going over to your storage (Or your mess hall, if you like making full interiors) and grabbing a slice of cake or a tentacle sandwich to refill your hunger bar. That said, I'd hope that hunger would take a fairly long time to deplete... Otherwise it could easily become annoying, yeah.