fleet mining?

Reaction score
    So I've been messing around with getting a small fleet together and I can't seem to get it working. The guys over at steam just link me old threads that say it's broken, but I've seen recent videos (less than a month old) of people using fleet mining. Is there something I'm missing?

I cloned my main salvager just to see how it would handle and all it does is get into position, then proceed to slam itself into the asteroid lol. My poor salvager being lonely aside, he doesn't seem to know how to turn on his salvagers.

any help?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    the first output linked to the first computer is what the salvage will try to "line up" to aim at a resource. if that block is in a strange place (like near the back of a long ship) and can't quite reach the resource it's aiming at, it will move into place to get at the resource it wants, in this case, head-butting the asteroid, which makes the asteroid move, which screws up the pathing, which makes it move into place again, try again, etc.

Re-fill your miner starting from the FRONT array(assuming you have two behind each other) and do the first module line manually from the front. after that you can mass-fill with symmetry and advanced build. it should work fine.

other option is to use salv/beam 5:2 and it'll have a decent range less likely to have that problem. Smaller arrays seem less likely to glitch out, as do vertical stack ones. The Ai seems to line up, shoot for a resource block, and pan from left to right just after it eats the block it was aiming at.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
    the first output linked to the first computer is what the salvage will try to "line up" to aim at a resource. if that block is in a strange place (like near the back of a long ship) and can't quite reach the resource it's aiming at, it will move into place to get at the resource it wants, in this case, head-butting the asteroid, which makes the asteroid move, which screws up the pathing, which makes it move into place again, try again, etc.

Re-fill your miner starting from the FRONT array(assuming you have two behind each other) and do the first module line manually from the front. after that you can mass-fill with symmetry and advanced build. it should work fine.

other option is to use salv/beam 5:2 and it'll have a decent range less likely to have that problem. Smaller arrays seem less likely to glitch out, as do vertical stack ones. The Ai seems to line up, shoot for a resource block, and pan from left to right just after it eats the block it was aiming at.

Hope that helps.
    Interesting, I indeed to have a fairly long salvager, although I tested the ai with a couple of random ships I spawned in as admin to see if they would work and they seem to just derp around. I'm going to try making a small test ship just to see how it reacts.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I have never had any problems with mining drones off a carrier. Check out my Hyena Type C and D's in the Community Content as they work fine.

If you have just a group of salvagers, I have noticed that the flagship won't mine. I don't know if this is by design or a bug but that's how it seems to be at the moment.

As noted above, make sure the salvage array is linked to the storage.

Another thing that has happened to me is I have ordered the fleet to mine and they haven't moved but I have actually been on the edge of a sector and not actually where the asteroids were!

The new larger asteroids have made fleet mining a little more problematic for some reason but I have millions of capsules of resources refined from fleet based salvagers.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Seems to currently be broken. My mining drones that worked fine previously stopped responding to the mine command entirely a couple patches ago.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    Seems to currently be broken. My mining drones that worked fine previously stopped responding to the mine command entirely a couple patches ago.
    That is a shame. After the asteroid update my 5x5x5 drones that I tested to death and served me well simply failed to work anywhere as good as before but on the current version my drones work fine and I am building some bigger ones and so far so good. Fleet mining is far from perfect at the moment but it still works for me at least and that is on both SP and MP universes.

I have a noticed a slight anomaly with fleet mining however. If you are using a carrier, align to galactic north first and once launched set them to idle in formation. Reverse the process at the end and the whole process is a lot less painful.

Finally, I think the core position is critical. The fleet system seems to centre on the core and so this may be the reason for the bumping problem. If the core is as near to the front of the ship as you can get it seems to help with positioning. For example, I had a large ship that I was going to use as a fleet miner. Because the core was towards the back, I ALWAYS had problems. Another ship that had a core about 6-8 blocks from the front and this performed as well as if I was flying it myself and manually mining.

Reaction score
    I find if I fleet move undocked drones the game is over, delete fleet and start again.

No mining can be no storage for the salvage beam computer.

Random stuff, computer facing the wrong way, adding a Bobbie ai so you can reset it. Making sure the salvage computer wasn't unlinked from the core

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    I find if I fleet move undocked drones the game is over, delete fleet and start again.

No mining can be no storage for the salvage beam computer.

Random stuff, computer facing the wrong way, adding a Bobbie ai so you can reset it. Making sure the salvage computer wasn't unlinked from the core
    Strange, I have moved an entire undocked fleet due to pending pirate attack, recalled them to carrier and jumped to another asteroid field and carried on mining.

I will admit, sometimes odd things happen, like an identical drone simply sitting there while the others mined, only to work perfectly on the next mission.

Sometimes it is pot luck, but as i said above, I have carried out about 10 or so missions with my Hyena setup and my storage is full! Time to prepare the permanent base!

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    If it's on your own single player server, bring up your console and look for AI pathing errors. If it's on a multyplayer one, THEIR pathing might have been corrupted. Check around after server restart. Stuff like that happens with starmade's current uncontrolled threading.

Reaction score
    Well, I made a small salvager, cloned it a couple of times and added 3 of them to my fleet, one as the mothership. The mothership didn't mine as expected, but the other 2 did start to mine once I made sure they were in the EXACT sector the rock was in. Once I added in a larger ship (it has cannon turrets with AI, not sure if that would mess with the system) everything went haywire. Every ship just started ramming into the asteroids, turning around and moving off to do who knows what.

Had some really weird bugs though when i added in more ships. The fleet just went off on it's own and attacked a pirate station, and me not even being in a ship, I started teleporting to random sectors as if i had a chain drive in my inventory. Very strange. think i'll just stick to 3 fleet ships max for now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Purchased!
    I have experimented slaving the salvage computer to cannons, beams, pulses and missiles and even have a test fleet with mixed systems.

Yes, the flagship never mines so no point wasting time making it a salvager unless you are flying it manually. Maybe make it into a tender to offload mined materials into or a defensive platform with AMS and anti ship turrets.

Reaction score
    Ok I have the solution and I blame you the OP. Last night my drones spazed out, thanks OP. I fixed it by docking all the drones and then reset the ai via the rail collective menu