Read by Council Fleet formation buffs

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    The short of it is buffs applied to a fleet depending on the formation they are flying in.

Simple examples:

Attack pattern alpha gives bonus to missile accuracy but increases lock-on time.

Defensive pattern theta increases shield cap but reduces regen speed.

I recall reading somewhere that AI crew manning consoles where going to apply buffs (could be wrong.) This might be an interesting dynamic with that in mind.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Certain fleet formations have an inherent boost to offensive or defensive capabilities. I do not see a reason to artificially boost this.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Certain fleet formations have an inherent boost to offensive or defensive capabilities. I do not see a reason to artificially boost this.
    Perhaps in real life but i doubt they would be anything but negligable in starmade.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    With all damage being based on actual simulated projectiles, formations should indeed have natural benefits if done well. For example, if one had a number of ships with most of their turrets in the top, you could position them so that their bottoms are facing each other and they have turrets pointing outward in all directions, thus providing an effective defence from all angles of attack. Or you could have a pair of ships facing a single opponent, or multiple opponents from the same direction, continually switch which one is taking point, to allow the others shields to regenerate, for a defensive posture. Having them both out in front, on the other hand, would allow one to have both of them firing, increasing offensive potential. Things like this need advanced AI or player control, but they are perfectly possible in the game. No need for magic boosts.

Reactions: jgames666

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I figure it would be both realistic and fun if fleets gained some sort of minor scanning buff, and that all scan information was shared among all ships in a fleet, to simulate tight-band direct comms between individual ships in the fleet, all sharing their information, while simultaneously increasing their collective antenna size.