[FIXED] Game running on Intel GPU instead of Nvidia GPU Despite Settings

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Before I explain further, here's my system specs in case anyone wants to know/thinks it relevant:
    Lenovo Y510P
    i7-4700MQ
    8 GB RAM
    GT 755M w/ 2 GB vRAM

So, I have the Javaw.exe of the Java version I have the game pointed at (and have confirmed the game is using) set to run with the Nvidia GPU via Nvidia's control panel. I've also set the Starmade starter program to as well, even though this shouldn't be necessary.

In the past, the game has launched using the correct GPU, but recently I noticed (as a result of one of those "we've detected you're using an Intel GPU" messages that this was no longer the case.
    The game is running and is actually in the game itself, past the starter (I should've screenshot with the task manager included so you could see javaw.exe was running, but oh well, you'll just have to take my word for it.)
    starmade running.jpg

After some poking around, I realized that the Nvidia control panel was adding some odd program name, just a random alphanumeric sequence, to the list of recently used programs whenever I ran the game.

Now, if I run the game, then close it, and set the most recent one of these programs to open with the Nvidia GPU, it will work correctly, running with the Nvidia GPU.

This will work only for the next time I run the game after adding the program. If I close out of the game and run it again, it loads with the Intel GPU instead of Nvidia, and a new, randomly named program is added to the list.

Does anyone know why this issue is occurring, and if there's any way to force Starmade to always run on the Nvidia GPU WITHOUT me having to add this program each time? I DO NOT want to set my entire system to run off the GPU as I'm on a laptop and don't want to absolutely tank my battery life and take up clock cycles on the GPU.

I don't know if this is related, but I /think/ I started having this issue around the time Nvidia put out that driver update that broke some of the functions Starmade used, requiring them to directly launch Javaw.exe to circumvent the issue.
    For now, I'm just running the game on the Intel GPU as it's too much a pita to add the randomly named program each time, and I don't want to litter the program list with them.
    [doublepost=1486690451,1486690185][/doublepost]I'd like to add that I have this issue regardless of whether or not I'm using the bundled Java or a separate Java.
    [doublepost=1486691465][/doublepost]Another addition; I took a picture of the StarMade-starter being in the Nvidia control panel... I meant to take a picture of the StarMade-launcher, which is also in there, set to run with the GPU.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Hunh, I really expected it to be the bundled java causing your issue. Have you checked your driver version vs the bugged driver version? (winkey+r, "dxdiag" in the dialog thaat pops up, run, display tab, driver version etc shown there.)

You might be able to do a work-around by making a "custom power profile" that you switch to when using starmade that Does use the Nvidia for everything, and then switch back to whichever one you normally use when you're done.

EDit: also did you try adding the starmade FOLDER as the preferred GPU setting? your "add:select a program" screenshot says it has that functionality...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hunh, I really expected it to be the bundled java causing your issue. Have you checked your driver version vs the bugged driver version? (winkey+r, "dxdiag" in the dialog thaat pops up, run, display tab, driver version etc shown there.)

You might be able to do a work-around by making a "custom power profile" that you switch to when using starmade that Does use the Nvidia for everything, and then switch back to whichever one you normally use when you're done.

EDit: also did you try adding the starmade FOLDER as the preferred GPU setting? your "add:select a program" screenshot says it has that functionality...

Ya know, you make a lot of sense, and I'm an idiot XD I failed to think of driver version effecting the incorrect launching of the game. I downgraded the driver version from the "bugged" version to the previous version, and guess what... it works correctly XD For some reason I was thinking this happened after the update intended to fix the driver issue, and I didn't get the driver till /after/ that update, so I didn't think I'd have any issues from it.

Thank you! And I guess if anyone else has this issue, they'll know using a previous version of the graphics driver may very well fix their issue.
    [doublepost=1486696552,1486695322][/doublepost]It seems I must've somehow corrupted the universe when I loaded it and exited it, somehow >-> fml.