Fix Turrets

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Look, we've seen plenty of ideas already. How about I just link the relevant threads and we go from there?

The Threads:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/shields-and-turrets.5740/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/ret...a-partial-solution-to-bsvss-and-turrets.1087/

I know there are more threads out there - hell, someone had a full blown text wall for diagonal turret mounts at some point. Does someone know where they are? Searching, even in the broadest sense, didn't give me any hints.

The problem that everyone assumes is going to be fixed eventually - but has never been confirmed.

This problem is definitely turrets - and here it is, in black and white (no, literally):

1. All turrets turn with the same base speed. This makes some tiny turrets too slow, but leaves larger, frigate sized turrets with lightning speed. The ship design in PvP right now reflects that - many vessels are focused around oversized turrets for lots of DPS from every direction.
    2. Turrets can shoot at 90 degrees from the face that is the output. Instead of a flat CoF as the turning limits would have you believe turrets possess, we have a see all, kill all computer.
    3. There is a certain size of turret between super tiny (hard to hit) and oversized (tanky as hell) that is pointless to build in because the turret dies way too fast. In addition, many builds that rely on many tiny turrets are a huge hassle. Placing all those turrets is one thing - having to replace them constantly is an entirely different story. Despite the definitive power of smaller turrets, many do not last long enough to be worth the investment in both time and resources.

4. Turrets can only be mounted to blocks and not angles. More flexibility, I say!
    5. Turrets still lock on to jammed targets with Beam Missiles and Nukes.

And now for my suggestion:

Fix all of them, soon. I'm sure the rail update will help somewhat, but some of these are quite a bit removed from that. What would you say, eh? :)

Reaction score
    You can actually tweak the turn rate for ships AND turrets, but only for both together, and it leaves capital ships spending a LONG time turning around.

Reaction score
    It's more than the rail update, it's the whole kit kaboodle, docking is being redone from the ground up. IMO, this is why it's been put on priority, because people are sick of the current docking system.
    All turrets turn with the same base speed.
    Turrets still lock on to jammed targets with Beam Missiles and Nukes.
    Dear god, these can't come quick enough...this is, IMO, the biggest issue with capitals V fighters. Point defence is TOO effective, solely due to these almost cheat-like issues.
    You can actually tweak the turn rate for ships AND turrets
    That's all well and good, but most servers don't really bother with either. Capitals are slow to turn? So what? I have my lightspeed point defence! I'm a strong independent capital that don't need no fighter defence!

Turrets can only be mounted to blocks and not angles.
    I don't get what you mean here. Do you mean you want sloped docking modules? ELI5 this for me would ya?

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I remember the time where I threw a bobby into my 499m floating turret, set the bobby AI to turret and the whole 499 long cannon turned on the spot as fast as if it was a 10m long fighter.

This have been fixed and so will the current bugs and problems, just wait a bit and all the lovely exploits will be gone as well as the bugs

Mered4

Space Triangle Builder
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't get what you mean here. Do you mean you want sloped docking modules? ELI5 this for me would ya?
    Imagine wedge docking units, or Tetra and penta Docking units. That would open up a whole new world of possibilities.....