Shields and turrets

Reaction score
    I recommend that turrets docked to any structure or ship would benefit from the shields of said ship or structure.

Reactions: Spartan-228

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If turrets gained the shields of the mothership, why would you put any weapons at all on the main ship?

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would seem a bit OP for both players and NPCs alike. Turrets require no user input beyond just showing up. Sharing the main shield as well sound a bit too good. If your turrets are folding, make them bigger and/or harder to hit.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    OK read it. Sharing shields with the main vessel is still OP.
    I disagree, but I think it's a matter of personal opinion.

I consider turrets to be organic parts of the greater ship, so not shielding them is - to me - like not shielding an outboard engine or your landing gear. Sure, it may not be part of the main frame, but it's part of the ship that any shipbuilder would shield. It's not FREE shields - you'd still need the blocks installed on the greater ship.

And OP versus what? Other ships that all have the exact same capability? I was under the impression that to qualify as OP a feature had to be unbalanced... what exactly are turrets supposed to be balanced against when they can be added to anything?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    And OP versus what? Other ships that all have the exact same capability? I was under the impression that to qualify as OP a feature had to be unbalanced... what exactly are turrets supposed to be balanced against when they can be added to anything?
    It removes the one weakness Larger ships even had right now. They can't turn well, so they have to backpedal or rely on turrets. What's more, AI can easily bypass the increased energy cost of multiple groups by just firing every computer as once (instead of 1 computer with 20 groups, you can just have 20 computers, no drawbacks at all). It creates a new age of waffle weapons if they did not have to house shields and protect themselves.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    It removes the one weakness Larger ships even had right now. They can't turn well, so they have to backpedal or rely on turrets. What's more, AI can easily bypass the increased energy cost of multiple groups by just firing every computer as once (instead of 1 computer with 20 groups, you can just have 20 computers, no drawbacks at all). It creates a new age of waffle weapons if they did not have to house shields and protect themselves.
    Sorry, but if firing 20 computers costs the same as firing 1 computer that's not a problem with turret shields, it's a problem with computer power usage :)

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Sorry, but if firing 20 computers costs the same as firing 1 computer that's not a problem with turret shields, it's a problem with computer power usage :)
    No. For each group attached to a computer, there is a 10% power increase to all weapons attached to that computer. So for 20 groups, you get +200% power cost to each group, increasing the total power needed to fire by 4000%. The reason we have this is to remove the old style waffle guns and promote the use of effects like punchthrough.

Allowing the turrets to share shields basically gives the ship more dps since it can cram more weapons into turrets without worry and more shields since they dont even need to bother with weapons on the main ship. I'll sure you'll get a mod for that eventually, but I am against it in vanilla.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Are you saying that a 100K-block ship with 10K shield blocks will have more shields if it moves 10K blocks of weapons to turrets?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Are you saying that a 100K-block ship with 10K shield blocks will have more shields if it moves 10K blocks of weapons to turrets?
    If a ship suddenly has 10k less space, I don't how they wouldn't get 10k blocks worth of more shields. Turret sizes would increase as well.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Uh, yeah. What do you think they're going to do with all that empty space from weapons they moved to turrets?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Turrets should only partially share shields with the mothership, and the amount should curve to a cap. After a certain amount of shielding, turrets should need their own shields systems to have any further shield capacity or regeneration.

Reaction score
    On one hand, I can see why it would be a bad thing. Having their own shields means you can destroy them and eliminate the ships threat without destroying the ship itself. But on the other hand, the turrets are part of the ship too, so why shouldn't at least some of the shields be shared?

So I would agree with them sharing to a point.