fix the beams and quit screwing with feature additions

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Implementing new weapons is easy as per the big weapons update months ago.
    I imagine part of the issue with minelayers is determining whether it should be a "normal" projectile like missiles/cannons, or if it should be a permanent static object that gets dumped. I don't think the players or Schine ever figured out if permanent mines or temporary mines were a better idea. The balancing issues are what are keeping it out, I think, more than the code.

From what I know of programming, it wouldn't take terribly long to implement minelayers if we had the balance ideas down - a day or three at most, depending on how much code is dependent on the existing weapon blocks.

Perhaps it's time that we had a discussion on minelayers. Preferably a thread written by someone who's better at making text walls than I am.

Hardly any of the old players stick with this game, because of long periods of unplayability/massive bugs.
    Most players lose interest in a game after a certain amount of time, no matter the game and no matter the finished status. Just look at me and Minecraft. Used to be addicted to that, stopped playing three years ago though.

Reactions: MeRobo

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Just so you know Azereiah, something was concepted a few months ago for minelayers. Not sure if that idea was finished. It was certainly not scrapped.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Totally not shitcanned! Implementing new weapons is easy as per the big weapons update months ago. But do we need a new weapon? Not really. We need shipyards. We need NPC's. We need better faction systems. More planetary content. Fauna. More space exploration. These are major elements of the game, but they aren't really in the game at all yet. I think it's imperative to get them in first before we think of a new weapon. Mines were a bit tricky to figure out iirc. I think the concept is finalized though.
    I'd still like to see Minelayers, if only for their slave effects. I mean, seriously, what good is an epic space game without charge lasers?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Or flak/timed det weapons.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hardly any of the old players stick with this game, because of long periods of unplayability/massive bugs. If Schine is ok with that,
    Being part of the 'newer community' I find this point interesting since you have a two year badge. I wonder where I will be in two years.
    and the newer community spouting "it's alpha, retards" is fine with it, well, that's cool.
    It was made very clear to me that the game was far from complete and still undergoing major revisions before I even downloaded the demo. Any who missed it clearly downloaded with their eyes closed. Frankly, the 'alpha' part is half the fun. It's like watching a star slowly coalesce from the void....
    literal stockholm syndrome
    I would be surprised to find out that someone was forced to play the game at gun point. I wasn't. In fact, I would consider it more like heroin. No matter how many problems I have with with the current build, I just can't stop. I literally have trouble sleeping because I'm trying to design recessed turrets for my current project in my head. I go to bed at 4am and get up at 9am because I dreamed of a power module that might fit between my docking bay and control room.
    it's amusing how people can't criticize the direction the game has been going for the past year+ without being jumped by the Schine Defense Force.
    I prefer to call myself 'a satisfied customer'. I paid $10 and I am actively recruiting friends and family. I got more then I paid for. Feel free to criticize. I find those that rant about it to be hilarious.
    edit: Fauna feature update before shipyards? That is quite amusing. Spawning in ships through BPs is the most annoying facet of the game right now.
    I mostly agree. What's up with that? The fauna update is going to be pretty useless to me since my computer crashes the game when I stray into a sector just containing a planet. I don't even have to look at it, forget about landing. You would think they would fix planets first.

I imaging the planets and shipyards are pretty complex though. Not to mention that I only see a small part of what Schema / Schine is working on.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Why are you putting your responses inside the quotes.
    Why would you do that... what could you possibly hope to gain.
    It allows me to answer points one by one, and it's easier than splitting the quotes.
    Maybe I should be saying something about the content... but the formatting, it bothers me too much.
    I apologize for hurting your comfort. :D
    Please fix it.
    Actually you're not obliged to read my posts nor to answer them, feel free to do so.

EDIT
    Actually, one key point you made is that Schine should be listening to the people who bought the game. And if you look through this thread, look at who is satisfied, or at least not entirely hostile towards the way Schine is doing things now. You will notice a trend.
    And if you look more closely to what I said, you will notice something really interesting.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I bought the game. For some reason I don't have a badge. I am tempted to buy the game again just to get the badge.

When I first bought the game, I was extremely impressed with just how functional and good the game was for an alpha being created by such a small team. There were indeed problems with the game, but that is what alpha is about. I posted quite a bit on what I felt were some glaring issues, made several recommendations, submitted and helped with bugs, etc..

As with most gamers of course, interest in one game can wane when another game's interest waxes. I got distracted by other games and did not play Starmade for several months. Recently I came back and find that the game has progressed big time. Many of the issues that were the most pressing to me at the time have been addressed, and the new turret/rail system is SO ripe with possibility and SUCH an improvement despite bugginess, that my interest in the game is completely rekindled.

I remain very impressed with how the game is evolving and have every expectation that it will ultimately become a synthesis between No Man's Sky and Minecraft that puts both to shame. I don't mind at all if that takes a few extra years as long as I can enjoy the ride.

Now I'll go find that bug tester recruitment post, and maybe buy the game again.

Edit: Steam won't let me buy it again for myself, so I bought it for a friend.

Last edited:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    As for what to do on minelayers well why can't we have both? The Standard version is a projectile that persists for a duration of time say an hour tops, than by use of an effect of some kind we get permanent mines and a few other things too. Although permanent mines would be clearable by server restarts and admins since they'd really be just ship cores fused with warheads.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is a bit exaggerated. While it is certainly a problem to have things like planet mining slow down a server, it can be avoided if the server admins take steps to prevent it from happening. Is it entirely the admins responsibility? No. Schine does owe players optimization updates. But that comes after most major features are in. There really is no way around that. The devs would be wasting time fixing the same bugs with each update if they focused on fixing them each update. There are literally 3 of them. It's tough.
    Things like planet mining wouldn't be "the same bugs with each update," seeing as a good fix to this just wouldn't break the same way again. (Of course, like anything in a large interconnected program, it has potential to break somehow, but the initial problem wouldn't have to be fixed again.) There's a really simple temporary fix to that - disable planet mining. (Or add an option that disables it.) If you wanted, you could also add an automatic multiplier of like x100 to planet resources so that astronaut mining becomes more profitable, but that's a little bit of extra work.

We know that there are big bugs that would take a lot more time to fix than Schine can afford, we get that. And we also get that a lot of bugs just don't get reported. But there are quite a few things, planet mining being probably chief among them, that can be fixed but just aren't.
    Totally not shitcanned! Implementing new weapons is easy as per the big weapons update months ago. But do we need a new weapon? Not really. We need shipyards. We need NPC's. We need better faction systems. More planetary content. Fauna. More space exploration. These are major elements of the game, but they aren't really in the game at all yet. I think it's imperative to get them in first before we think of a new weapon. Mines were a bit tricky to figure out iirc. I think the concept is finalized though.
    Yeah... I get this, but my question is, why announce mines as though they're all planned out and balanced, then six months later, release a weapons update that doesn't have mines, and when the community asks why, say that you still have no idea how they should work? I'm no game development project manager, but doesn't the workflow go something like:

brainstorm -> design -> implement -> test and hand info off to PR for announcement -> finalize/bugfix -> release

Not:

say 'hey, this would be cool, let's add it -> announce -> realize that you didn't even design it six months later when it's time to release the update that was supposed to include the feature -> design about a year later and place on already-backed-up feature queue

Most players lose interest in a game after a certain amount of time, no matter the game and no matter the finished status. Just look at me and Minecraft. Used to be addicted to that, stopped playing three years ago though.
    Yes, but I think we all know the difference between losing interest in a game after a while naturally, and getting tired of BS and quitting a game. I left Minecraft because I'd simply done everything that interests me in that game and now only play once in a while. I still like where the devs are going with it, but I'm just done with the game... Tn and others left SM because they just didn't like where Schine was going.

Personally? I'm staying on board, but that doesn't mean I won't criticize when I see something that looks silly.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Lecic and BDLS

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    edit: Fauna feature update before shipyards? That is quite amusing. Spawning in ships through BPs is the most annoying facet of the game right now.
    Where exactly did you get the idea shipyards were coming after fauna? I haven't seen anything going either way, and both features are currently "in progress" on the trello.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    4 days ago in the latest news post.

"I’m currently a little ill, but I’ll do my best that for the next update, the shipyard mechanics will probably be done, as well as more portions of the fauna."

Winterhome

Reaction score
    4 days ago in the latest news post.

"I’m currently a little ill, but I’ll do my best that for the next update, the shipyard mechanics will probably be done, as well as more portions of the fauna."
    That implies that shipyards will be complete before fauna.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Perhaps.

The previous update mentioned increasing priority on fauna and nothing about shipyards. We will see I guess, just curious why fauna is ranked so highly on things to get done. Working on both at the same time, do that many people on the team care about such a system compared to something great like shipyards?

Winterhome

Reaction score
    Perhaps.

The previous update mentioned increasing priority on fauna and nothing about shipyards. We will see I guess, just curious why fauna is ranked so highly on things to get done. Working on both at the same time, do that many people on the team care about such a system compared to something great like shipyards?
    Enhanced singleplayer replayability = new player retention

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We will see I guess, just curious why fauna is ranked so highly on things to get done. Working on both at the same time, do that many people on the team care about such a system compared to something great like shipyards?
    I might be wrong but isn't fauna more of a change to the curent status of the game than shipyards?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I expect that it would be highly wasteful of people's varying skill sets for everyone to focus on just a single thing. Moreover I expect that a huge part of the motivation of many who work on Starmade is the freedom to work on the parts of the game for which they have the most interest. I could see myself getting hoodwinked into a development project if I got to work on the AI, but if I was told I had to work on graphics bugs or something for which I am quite ill suited, I would likely just leave the project, paid or not.

With regard to fauna, I completely ignore planets myself. I do not mine them, asteroids are easier, and there is nothing else to do with them. Derelict stations also are just a waste of engine for me too. But if they were populated with fauna to make them more interesting, well... They would be more interesting, no? We do need unique treasures though, useful stuff gained from exploring derelicts and planets that cannot be gained otherwise.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I might be wrong but isn't fauna more of a change to the curent status of the game than shipyards?
    Fauna is somewhat flashy and interesting.

Shipyards would hopefully address the annoyance of spawning in a ship. People who PvP in multiplayer servers go through ships a lot, especially since manually repairing damaged systems in your ship is awful, and if you die, the ship is obviously gone. Filling up ship blueprints with all the individual block types is horribly time consuming, especially if you need to do it every time you play. I know many of us avoid cool looking decorative blocks just because of this nuisance. Also, don't get me wrong, BPs bought with blocks is still infinitely better than buying them with credits since it creates a need for factory complexes.

Piper, even with a massive asteroid mining bonus, mass mining a planet gets you a lot more resources faster if you have the salvager to back it up.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Piper, even with a massive asteroid mining bonus, mass mining a planet gets you a lot more resources faster if you have the salvager to back it up.
    Not for me, but that's mostly because it strains the server so much that I have to wait in order for everything to be calculated, which doesn't happen with asteroids.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Does it not also massively lag the server?

D'oh! Ninja-ed.