First time you attacked a pirate station?

EMC007

The guy who's always in way over his head
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh man. My first time attacking a pirate station?

Well, that was nearly 4 years ago. (Around 3 years and 10 months actually)

I'll start with my first encounter I guess.

So, to begin, this was a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, and it was my first time starting up the game on my old apple laptop. I had watched a few videos earlier that day about how to play the game, so I had a pretty good idea of how the game worked, I understood weapon systems, I understood how shields worked, I knew how to make turrets even. But I did not know how to use advanced build mode, I did not figure out that was even a thing until about 5 months later.

I had my first ship, it was called the 'vetine'. I had no name ideas, so I just made up some random word in my head and called my first ship that. It was blocky, and pathetic, and it looked like a goldfish cracker from above. I decided I wanted to go out and explore, so, a few sectors in on my maiden voyage, I was attacked by a pirate station, and I was killed almost instantly, and the vetine Mk1 was destroyed and lost forever.

That was a really... I don't know, it made me a bit scared, because I entered a sector, saw some red icons, and then died soon after. So what else could there be out there if that could happen? It actually got me paranoid, and I didn't want to leave the safety of the spawn sector for a while.

After 15 hours of playing the game, I built this:

IMG_0972.JPG
    (Sorry about the horrible quality, I had to take a picture of my computer screen with a different camera because computer problems)

The 'vetine Mk2'. I had every single weapon system on it, it had AMCs, astrotech beams, push pulses (I think), salvage beams, various supply and drain beams, Kb missiles, BB missiles, and D1000 missiles, lots of shielding, 6 turrets, a docked isanth fighter, and even a small hangar.

I had also gotten a friend to play with me, he was manning one of the turrets. I finally felt like I was ready to kill that station. So I flew in the same direction, and, sure enough, the red icon appeared on the side of my screen. But I was fine, my ship had plenty of shielding and took no damage at all.

It was almost too easy at that point, the old 'prate' station was no match for the mighty Vetine.

Huh. That was pretty long. Sorry about that, I get real nostalgic when I think about this stuff and I get carried away.

I like this thread though, it's interesting reading what other people's first times were like.

Reactions: Top 4ce and camzx22

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    my first raid was when i constructed a 50 block bomber that was inspired by the starry from babylon5 i attacked the closest station nearly died spawned in another one did no damage then a fleet of trading guild isanths attacked the station which distracted the turrets while i got a torch beam and cut a hole in a window and got in i quickly located the faction module and claimed the station for myself and modified it it was such a pain removing all the red lights and adding blue ones i ended up building a shipyard and a holodeck (using another shipyard) both of which could not sustain themselves

Reactions: Top 4ce and camzx22
    Reaction score
    my first raid was when i constructed a 50 block bomber that was inspired by the starry from babylon5 i attacked the closest station nearly died spawned in another one did no damage then a fleet of trading guild isanths attacked the station which distracted the turrets while i got a torch beam and cut a hole in a window and got in i quickly located the faction module and claimed the station for myself and modified it it was such a pain removing all the red lights and adding blue ones i ended up building a shipyard and a holodeck (using another shipyard) both of which could not sustain themselves
    Dude I love babylon5, I just recently watched it with my dad. I haven't really attacked a pirate yet and won. BUT im going to do it really soon !!
    [doublepost=1495534315,1495534104][/doublepost]
    Oh man. My first time attacking a pirate station?

Well, that was nearly 4 years ago. (Around 3 years and 10 months actually)

I'll start with my first encounter I guess.

So, to begin, this was a long time ago, in a galaxy far away, and it was my first time starting up the game on my old apple laptop. I had watched a few videos earlier that day about how to play the game, so I had a pretty good idea of how the game worked, I understood weapon systems, I understood how shields worked, I knew how to make turrets even. But I did not know how to use advanced build mode, I did not figure out that was even a thing until about 5 months later.

I had my first ship, it was called the 'vetine'. I had no name ideas, so I just made up some random word in my head and called my first ship that. It was blocky, and pathetic, and it looked like a goldfish cracker from above. I decided I wanted to go out and explore, so, a few sectors in on my maiden voyage, I was attacked by a pirate station, and I was killed almost instantly, and the vetine Mk1 was destroyed and lost forever.

That was a really... I don't know, it made me a bit scared, because I entered a sector, saw some red icons, and then died soon after. So what else could there be out there if that could happen? It actually got me paranoid, and I didn't want to leave the safety of the spawn sector for a while.

After 15 hours of playing the game, I built this:

View attachment 41825
    (Sorry about the horrible quality, I had to take a picture of my computer screen with a different camera because computer problems)

The 'vetine Mk2'. I had every single weapon system on it, it had AMCs, astrotech beams, push pulses (I think), salvage beams, various supply and drain beams, Kb missiles, BB missiles, and D1000 missiles, lots of shielding, 6 turrets, a docked isanth fighter, and even a small hangar.

I had also gotten a friend to play with me, he was manning one of the turrets. I finally felt like I was ready to kill that station. So I flew in the same direction, and, sure enough, the red icon appeared on the side of my screen. But I was fine, my ship had plenty of shielding and took no damage at all.

It was almost too easy at that point, the old 'prate' station was no match for the mighty Vetine.

Huh. That was pretty long. Sorry about that, I get real nostalgic when I think about this stuff and I get carried away.

I like this thread though, it's interesting reading what other people's first times were like.

I started on a mac as well " macbook pro (really old)" and now i play on a custom built pc.

PLIX

Thats XCOM baby!
    Reaction score
    look at us all starting with macs then enjoying the goody goodness of custom rigs
    (if anyone can phrase this any weirder I'm up for suggestions)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    oh ye classic starmadic tactic of mac-alicious attack-alicious anti pie-rat murder b*ners.

never played on a Mac. never had one working long enough or have a gpu that could run it. but i have gotten it to run on atom x86 tablets. kinda crap when you consider a low end c50 amd apu could out perform it at the same price point. some guy on yt made a 70 dollar hackintosh with a gtx 750 ti in it. i bet it'd play on that just fine. if not just reboot into windows or linux and play it there. BAM.

i used to attack stations from the inside. just wedge a small cloaker near a breach in the hull and solid snake my way around popping turrets off their mounts. easy pickins. my first attack on a pirate ship went fast since salvage beans at the time had a bug. just pulled the whole thing apart until it was an angry little shipcore. after that i managed to take one out with a tiny ship i managed to keep aft of an isanth while i shot out the thrusters and finally started to bulleye the core. the AI was way derpier back then too. and ye gawds the loot clouds. i only miss being able to sabotage bases. i had to build a tiny gun ship that could fit in the corridors to do the job and a bigger gun ship to crack the faction block once all the turrets were spaced.

Reaction score
    My first time... Not sure if it even counts.

After some small fighters and some kind of battleship, that never got finished, I finally had build my first fully operational ship with lots of interior. I even had the entire layoud placed around the powergrid and main weapon. (Something I'm not always bothering with these days)

I saved the Buleprint and wanted to run some tests in AI battles. First I turned on bobby and suddenly the thing took off.
    As I made it to the bridge, I could see that the ship was attaking a purple blob of a pirate station I SOMEHOW didn't realise had spawned nearby.
    This battle wasn't exactly what I had in mind, but when the station's faction module got busted just shortly after, that ship still felt quite sufficent at the time.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    My first time was back before we got Kupu textures and pentas/heptas and tetras and the like... I quickly realized I was outgunned, and hadn't discovered the "make a flat ship and stick yourself against the bottom of the station, shooting out the turret dockers from inside the structure" trick yet. I ran away. :P

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Aaaah, i remember.
    I was in a bullshit starter ship, one of the first ones i biuld, and the first one i was smart enought to save (because i didnt know you can do that before that).
    starmade-screenshot-0103.png

I think it was this one.
    Funny Thing is, i thought i was fighting a pirate ship, untill i realised that it was a station. I was lucky that i faced one of the old pirate stations, so i didnt got kicked around as bad as i would have now.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Aaaah, i remember.
    I was in a bullshit starter ship, one of the first ones i biuld, and the first one i was smart enought to save (because i didnt know you can do that before that).
    View attachment 42010

I think it was this one.
    Funny Thing is, i thought i was fighting a pirate ship, untill i realised that it was a station. I was lucky that i faced one of the old pirate stations, so i didnt got kicked around as bad as i would have now.
    yeah i'd hate to be a newbie right now with some of these literal battle stations the community came up with.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That was back on the old stations, when there was still SDKB missiles... I attacked a station with a little corvette (<100 blocks long) that I downloaded. I don't even remember how I won, but the whole face of my ship was just destroyed x)

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The first time I attacked a pirate base was on a huge 300 meter long ship with over 1000 shield blocks. I was battling with the ai ships for over an hour until my shields were almost depleted and I had to jump drive out. I did a ton of damage to the station but I couldn't find the faction block :(

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Like most people, my first experience with a pirate station was an 800k sector-wide homing missile from an Alpha. I still avoid pirate stations entirely to this day unless I'm in something with 20mil shields and a whole lot of missiles. Thanks for encouraging gigantism.

Of course, in singleplayer I just remove the entire pirate faction.

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Like most people, my first experience with a pirate station was an 800k sector-wide homing missile from an Alpha. I still avoid pirate stations entirely to this day unless I'm in something with 20mil shields and a whole lot of missiles. Thanks for encouraging gigantism.

Of course, in singleplayer I just remove the entire pirate faction.
    Alpha teaches that anti missile defense turrets are important. (Ignore the fact that Alpha did the same thing before PDT where a thing...)

Skwidz

turtleStew
    Reaction score
    During one of my first single player survival games I built what I thought was a big and powerful ship. When I tested it out on a station all that was left was the core and little bits of hull. It took the pirates half a second to obliterate my ship.