First time you attacked a pirate station?

Reaction score
    What did you do when you attacked your first pirate station?
    did you build a massive titan and just blasted the station apart? or did you just built a fighter and charged in yelling "YOLO!"

post what kind of station it was and what did you do to it? did you survive? tell us and we will see who had the best pirate station raid story out there!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    One of the first times I attacked a pirate station I put a cloaker and jammer on my ship, then I searched for the faction module and killed some of the turrets. I found the faction module in the open and used my missiles to destroy it, eventually I destroyed it and took all the loot out of the chest. After sometime I decided to mine the whole station and build my own station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    My first pirate station was also my first experience with combat. I was on a small public server run by my old minecraft group. I had built what I assumed was an amazing combat ship. It even had a small docking area for a core shuttle ! Only to find that my poor ship the "Tempest" got wrecked in seconds from the turrets.... I learned that day shields were FAR more important then armor. I also learned that ship Turrets are fickle things, that only work when you set them up right.

After much thought I designed a new ship ! It was a sniper and I picked off all the turrets from a range at which they could not touch me. At that point it was easy.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Single player mode actually, was a "Prate station" And i attacked in a very poorly designed corvette(using the wiki term). Did destroy the turrets, but just couldnt take out the fighters that had spawned in, nor the faction block to make it neutral!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    My first attack was a nope moment to end all. Didn't have anything able to take on the station and got the insane idea it'd be easy. Yep space fodder 101 anyone? :P

Reaction score
    The first time I attacked a pirate station, I was convinced that all I needed to do was destroy the faction block and place my own to claim the station....

To bypass the problem of shields, I decided to use the Torch. So, I had my buddy drop me off in a cloaked ship, and entered the station on foot.. as a SPACE COMMANDO.

I used a rocket launcher to take down a turret,

By the way, no, you do not get to claim the station if you destroy it's faction block (IF it has a faction block...)

Reaction score
    First time... wow that was quite some time and many many versions ago...
    Having built a decent ship (around 40 to 50 blocks long, half ship half salvaging array with a few cannons (still called amc at that time) bolted to the side and minimal shielding ) after having salvaged an abandoned station (at the time they gave the actual blocks it was made of without having to buy the station) i ran onto a good old unshielded double ring pirate station with 10 small amc turrets.
    The stations did nut call for reinforcements at that time so it was a lot easier.
    I went in shooting at the turrets. took one out and noticed that my shields were almost down.
    After falling back outside of the range of the station i noticed i had two options. Either add shields to tank the damage or evade the fire like hell.
    The position of the turrets made it a little easier. i would only need to "tank" around two turrets at a time while the other could not hit me, or so i thought.
    Going in for the other turret where i killed the other one before. Killed it and thought i was save... but still taking damage.
    I started evading and found that in some position the "top" and "bottom" turret could still reach me.
    I lost some blocks in the battle but nothing to serious.
    After that i was "filthy" rich as the loot these old stations dropped was of the scale, and i was lucky to have enough storage space on my ship.
    Good old times...

If you ask me what was my first experience with the new Stations....
    well i did not even see it. I was flying around in my miner when i got nuked by a doom missile of death from a pirate station i could not even see on my nav screen.

Reaction score
    I remember the first time a pirate station attacked me. Just humming along in my little noob shuttle when BLAMMO! Instagibbed from about 8-10km away by an alpha station just after coming out of a jump. Was a definite "WTF?!?!?" moment. Especially as I was moving house and had everything in my ships storage and lost everything. Ah those moments when we're all noobs! :D

On the flip side my first pirate station I took out after that with my newly built salvage ship, which wasn't all that big. Well I would not consider it big myself.
    I'd placed a stolen ETA Station turret on top (still in scrap mode if you removed blocks if you know what I mean lol) and a few smaller turrets of various weapon types on the sides and I found pirate stations were ridiculously easy to devastate, including the alphas. :cool:
    Found swarmers/heat seekers were king for taking out turrets and fighters.
    I forget the station type I took out first off the top of my head, but it was like watching a laser light show seeing all these beam turrets firing off in random directions at a range that was nowhere near me. (also that server, the game was spawning crappy pirate ships using player BP's, so you'd get pirate ships that were power cubes with a ship core attached spawn and other junk which no doubt helped lol. But yeah on other servers with a set of proper pirate ships and higher difficulty I found them to be little challenge unless your ship was small and completely noob.

Although that first station taught me a valuable lesson, always have a spare jump drive charged and ready to go at all times. (as long as you get a chance to use it and are not unexpectedly one shotted that is) another thing it taught me is a decent video card with a huge draw distance is a must.

Now I have ships 500m long or bigger as my main rides I yawn when I see Alphas on even supposedly difficult settings.
    Be great if in the future some kind of scaling difficulty, or different stations can be assigned their own fleets of ships, gets added to the game. ;)
    I like a challenge, steam rolling everything gets a bit boring after a while especially as there is no real gameplay as such yet to offset it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    It was so long ago, and I have fought so many, that I honestly don't recall. I don't recall that the original stations were ever particularly troublesome. I never was big on building titans, but I've always been a fan of turrets. Most of my ships were designed with stations in mind, so I would have my own turrets that could take out the station turrets, and then a cannon or laser that I could aim from the ship for taking out the station's faction block. One of my favorite anti-station ships used multiple heat-seeking missile launchers that were ship-mounted rather than on turrets. No aiming required, just fly by the station and hit the launch button. Heat-seekers swarmed to take out the station turrets in one or two passes.

The newer stations are a mixed bag, and the only real challenge is making a ship large enough to overcome the shield reinforcement rate of the station. Let me amend that, the real challenge is being able to deal with the swarms of pirate reinforcements that get called in while stripping down the station. Ships definitely have to be a lot larger now.

BJammin

Part-Time Eldritch Abomination
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    So, story time.

Two years ago, when I took my first steps into the wonderful world of starmade, I had my not-so-successful first go at attacking a pirate station. Using the /give_credits command, I bought out every single block from the spawn station, to use in what I thought would be, "the most epic ship ever."

After several hours of meticulously placing each individual block (I had yet to discover the joys of advanced build mode) , my *roughly* 30-block long ship, fit with AMCs and every kind of missile, was complete. (This was back when we still had the KBs and the BBs... Ah, the good old days. Sort of.)

Ready to go, I hopped in my ship, dubbed the 'SS_Moonbouncer', and set off to lay siege to the pirate base! Within minutes, lasers from the station's turrets started exploding outside my ship's viewscreen. Soon after, I received the "shields down!" message, which I promptly ignored. The fight had only just begun.

After successfully annihilating half of the station's defenses, I decided to assess the state of my ship. It wasn't pretty. The front half of my ship was unrecognizable, and multiple holes in the armor had made their way back towards my core room. After all that work, my seemingly-amazing ship had been almost ruined beyond repair; there was only one thing left to do.

What happened next is reminiscent of an event in Return of the Jedi, where a heavily damaged A-wing fighter slams through the bridge of the super star destroyer, thus bringing about its destruction. You see, I had bought out the entirety of the shop's supplies, which included a large stash of dis-integrator explosives. In a hasty, last-ditch effort to vanquish the pirate station, I placed every single explosive block on the front of my ship to prepare for a final, glorious coup-de-grace against the station.

With my ship fully converted into a veritable doomsday bomb, I oriented it towards the station and accelerated as fast as I could. I counted down the seconds to impact, "5, 4, 3, 2, 1," Then BOOM...

...Went my framerates. After reviving from a starmade-slideshow back into an actual game, the chunks eventually reloaded revealing an all-but-nonexistent pirate station (which I observed through the infamous rotating 'You died!' screen).

Moral of the story: when life gives you lemons, strap them to the front of your ship and unleash their fury upon your enemies. Glorious.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Many versions ago I built a ship that couldn't have been more than 15 blocks in length and sat in a stations blind spot until one of its turrets was dead, I then used this new, larger, blind spot to kill the rest of the turrets and take the station.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I am by nature a little paranoid. I had figured out right from the get go how to build cloaked ships and even did my mining in a cloak ship, so prior to attacking a pirate station, I had had actually zero combat experience. I had absolutely no idea what to expect, how tough they would be or even any real idea of how combat worked. I did have a fairly strong grasp of the ship building side however (at the time) due to lots of web reading, a fair number of forum conversations and some very helpful folks here.

I had accidentally set up my home base within reaction range of a pirate base. At the time I did not realize that one could set up a different base than the first, so I thought I had no option but to take out that pirate. So I set about the task of building a corvette for the first time, using a nearby trade station as my base. Given my paranoid nature, I did not skimp on the ship. I spent nearly a week, full time, harvesting and building. It really was a rather pretty ship, looking like an enormous, beefy space fighter, even having nice armor wedging. It had about 800 blocks for a centerline cannon/cannon/punch, a similar number of blocks worth of heat seekers and another similar weight given to an array of sniper missiles. Shielding and shield regen were very high for the ship size. It had wicked acceleration and a surplus of power.

I figured I would do a dive bomber thing, screaming in at high speed, targeting a single turret with cannon and missiles, zip away to regen shields while turning to come back for another pass. It turned out rather anticlimactically that my ship was so much tougher than the pirate station that I wound up parking near to it and simply blasting it to ribbons. It couldn't break my shield regen.

Reactions: Megacrafter127
    Reaction score
    just did this like over the past couple of days actually lol am a total noob
    I was in creative mode in a universe I was playing completely for the lols and I've built two pretty crappy ships, though it turns out that one of them makes a not-half-bad missile frigate lol.
    Anyway, I spawned in about 120 of these ships total and deployed them against a big station with a single ring around it that had lolrekt me when I had first tested the other ship (bigger than the missile frigate but with really crappy power systems, this stupid thing has trouble consistently moving and firing its cannons lol). It was an epic battle that consisted mostly of my ships targeting the reinforcements the station called and me flying a missile frigate and bombarding the ring on the station, which apparently was where these derps kept all their systems. Well, after a long battle which covers a fair bit of what I know of the map so far, we have the pirate station down to around 40 percent armor and 50 percent structure, with its shields stripped, when suddenly the stupid thing just despawns! No idea why it did that, maybe the server was trying to reduce lag, maybe it was a glitch, maybe they just normally do that, maybe one of the missile frigates nailed something really important. No idea. Anyway after a while of trying to return my massive, disorganized derpfleet to my spawn sector, a few pirate ships came after me and were quickly destroyed because there weren't all that many of them. The sector now seems secure. I lost about half of that fleet I think.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In my first offensive against a pirate station, I had already been attacked several times and had picked up pointers on the forum, so with this knowledge, I purposefully attacked one of the purple-tenticled stations. I focused on targeting each turret a meter or two beyond maximum range, where AI dare not fire, but shots can still land, and attacking where it met the station until I had blasted the docking system, and the turret drifted off into space. I think I had to repeat the process 7 more times. Half the time, the turrets were in meltdown as they drifted away from the station.

As I swooped in on the last turret killed, the loot cloud came into my sights. I am almost on it. Poink. The cloud disappears as I enter the area. Drat! Missed it!

There is one source of loot I haven't missed yet... I pull my ship up to one of the gaping holes in the lower part of the station's hull. I exit the airlock and proceed inside, eager to find the station's storage locker at the base of the spoke hub.

BLAST!

A pirate squadron had spawned and fired on my astronaut, vaporizing him completely just as he entered the station's ruined hull. A little farther down the hall, he might have been safe. Back at Spawn, an undeathanator sparks and hums to life...

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The first time we attacked. We died miserably. Then my friend and I rebuilt our ship, and I built a small cloaking ship. At the tier there wasn't torches. So I took a bunch of cores and war heads and managed to blow my way through to the faction module. Then I surrounded the faction module with warheads and BOOOM. Station ours. Then it was just cleaning up the isanths. I imagine that being much harder with crew in the future....

Reaction score
    First time I "attacked" a pirate station I wondered what it was and died on the approach to check it out. After that I avoided pirate stations for a while, until I had a ship I was reasonably happy with. Took me a while to work out how to take the faction module out, since the first time I think I just hit it with a stray BB-missile.

Reaction score
    Er... I've been away for a while. What is a "BB-missile"?
    You have the Opposite problem. BB-missiles where pre-weapon overhaul, when we had Anti Matter cannons, dumbfire missiles where D1000's, lock on missiles where BB-some number, and I forget what heat seekers where called.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    You have the Opposite problem. BB-missiles where pre-weapon overhaul, when we had Anti Matter cannons, dumbfire missiles where D1000's, lock on missiles where BB-some number, and I forget what heat seekers where called.
    D'oh!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    First time I attacked Pirates I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't know how shields worked so I only had like 5 shield blocks on my ship and I died in like 5 seconds, this was long before the Weapons update, I had no idea how I had died lol
    Ah the good ol Noob days