First ship and diagonal turret

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, it's my first post in the forum. I have been going back to starmade lately and I wanted to share screenshot of my first real ship with the latest patch and a project of mine.

The ship is small but i like it, I used it to figure out a style that I liked for the next project:

The project itself is the middle section of a battleship that has diagonal turret connected to independant power supply. The turret are small turret with 60/60 cannon/cannon with 40 overdrive block.
    Ive only started but i lack experience, if you have advices I would love to see them.

Only 2 turrets are installed right now but they work well, they have 180 degree of free movement on both axis and the hole in which they are leaves no opening for outside fire. Dont mind the reactor on the turrets I will remove them when they are all properly installed. The turret base is flush with the diagonal hull, the diagonal mount is docked on the power supply.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well they are connected to the main ship on the diagonal, at 45 degree from the flat surface. This is unusual no? most turret are put on a flat face.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'm guessing you got a rail rotator on a second base under the main turret base but hard to tell.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here is a more detailed view of what I call the "diagonal turret"

All the hull is not a rail piece but is the main ship itself

I was sharing that because it is my current project and because I have seen very few ship that tried the configuration for turrets. I also wanted some advice and critics on how the ship was looking and what could be improved.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello, here's an update on the project.
    Diagonaly placed turret leaves a lot more space on the side if you try to make a more "round" shape for your ship. So I have been trying a bit to make the outside interesting.

I'm planing to put pd turret in the space between the turret ridge and the flat ridge. I'm not too sure however on the flat side style. I kinda like the exaust port thingy but I'm not sure they look that great. The red light on top and bottow also bother me a little. we will see. In the inside I will probably start the bridge as soon as I make a central elevator shaft. However my knowledge of logic system is still a little shaky and i'm not sure how I will go doing that.

I'm really happy for the gate look though, it fit perfectly between the 2 wall and look right.

Sorry about the symmetry plane, I forgot to remove it for the picture.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Ok, here's a better update than the last one. Almost Every turret have been installed. I am satisfied by the decoration on the side too now. I started the small bridge and the rp section that will be in the top ridge of the ship. I dont want to take too much space because as of now there is 0 module of any kind for the main ship, so I have to keep space if I want it to be functional.

I still dont know what to do with the flat 45 degree surface between the turret, if you have an idea post it. And the front and the back of the ship are still merely concept right now.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here's an update!
    I have made a small elevator in the middle of the ship, its not finished (shaft is an open hole when the elevator is not there) but i like it.

I started puting point defense turret on the ship, It is very long to do. Do anyone have a trick for puting new turret? What i do is I admin spawn 6 of them, go pick them up with a small ship, park the small ship close to the main ship then manualy undock/dock the turret and activate their ai.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Normally I make a rack of turrets and spawn that. Usually around 6 to 12 turrets or so.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thats genius, can't believe I didn't think of this before. Is there an easy way to destroy the rack after? Because I always have to hop in and manualy deconstruct everything.

On an other subject, how much power/shield/trust should this ship have? I know Its only part of a whole ship but I would like to have a kind of idea of how much space I have to work with. I would like it to be viable.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    The rack can be destroyed by the admin command for that, just make sure you are targeting it and not something else. As for the power and other things for the actual ship, no idea. It depends on the amount of power and other things it needs to fully function.

Blaza612

The Dog of Dissapointment
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Very nice ship, especially for your first. Personally, I'm not a fan of turrets, as the always end up sticking out and don't flow with the hull well. What I would do is have the turrets naturally embedded into the hull, to allow it to flow much better, giving it a better look overall.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    looking good so far. For the turrets i would try to condense the diagonal connectors as much as possible, say just have one entity acting as the connector rather then having to make one for each turret. Less docked entities means less problems with the game.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Very nice ship, especially for your first. Personally, I'm not a fan of turrets, as the always end up sticking out and don't flow with the hull well. What I would do is have the turrets naturally embedded into the hull, to allow it to flow much better, giving it a better look overall.
    Thank you very much, though its only my first ship with the new starmade, i've played minecraft for a long time, space engineer and even the old starmade like 2 years back. As for your suggestion, It would be nice, but I wanted to do I kind of ww2 battleship look, so outside turret seemed nice. Also, diagonal turret are nice, but they are really hard to embed into the hull.
    looking good so far. For the turrets i would try to condense the diagonal connectors as much as possible, say just have one entity acting as the connector rather then having to make one for each turret. Less docked entities means less problems with the game.
    In hindsight it seem like it would have been a better decision, but I was afraid of what would happen if the lone connector would get destroyed, having a long piece stuck inside the ship. As it is now, each turret can be removed and each diagonal mount can be removed individualy. I stuck a rail speed controller at 0 on each to try to limit lag.

And now some update. I made the engine! Im actually happy with them, even though they are not the best I have ever seen. The round hole on top and bottom are for main turrret, I plan to make 2 on the front too. As for the half cylinder behind, I wanted to use it to make a "jump drive" piece, but I dont know how I want it to look yet. I might go around and try to look at different other ship to see what I would like.

now for suggestion, what would you do with the little part beween the top deck and the lower main turret mount? Also, how many rail mounted Item can I get before significant slowdown happen?

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Thank you very much, though its only my first ship with the new starmade, i've played minecraft for a long time, space engineer and even the old starmade like 2 years back. As for your suggestion, It would be nice, but I wanted to do I kind of ww2 battleship look, so outside turret seemed nice. Also, diagonal turret are nice, but they are really hard to embed into the hull.

In hindsight it seem like it would have been a better decision, but I was afraid of what would happen if the lone connector would get destroyed, having a long piece stuck inside the ship. As it is now, each turret can be removed and each diagonal mount can be removed individualy. I stuck a rail speed controller at 0 on each to try to limit lag.

And now some update. I made the engine! Im actually happy with them, even though they are not the best I have ever seen. The round hole on top and bottom are for main turrret, I plan to make 2 on the front too. As for the half cylinder behind, I wanted to use it to make a "jump drive" piece, but I dont know how I want it to look yet. I might go around and try to look at different other ship to see what I would like.

now for suggestion, what would you do with the little part beween the top deck and the lower main turret mount? Also, how many rail mounted Item can I get before significant slowdown happen?
    WW2 stuff is always nice, but at least lessen their bulk a bit. :P

On a side note, this is fucking amazing. You're doing some really good work on this, and again, especially if this is your first ship. :P

Hope to see you make a faction, you have a nice style and would of course add to the entire factions game, particularly if you can gain enough members to rival the likes of the Helkan Imperium.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Posting work in progress screenshot really help me keep going, its the first time I do it but I like it.

So I worked on the back part and the main turret, I'm not fully satisfied yet. I like a lot the effect on the "jump reactor" exaust port, but the round shape of the backend annoy me slightly, I might redo it with a more angular look, but I wanna see what it look like with decorations. As for the turret, I find them a little plain, not sure what I can do for that.

Do the image I post come out well for everyone? I have never used imgur before.

Hope to see you make a faction, you have a nice style and would of course add to the entire factions game, particularly if you can gain enough members to rival the likes of the Helkan Imperium.
    I'm not too familiar how this faction stuff work, I might do some other ship with similar style. However I think I might trade grey for white in the color scheme, I'm finding it a bit dull.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Posting work in progress screenshot really help me keep going, its the first time I do it but I like it.

So I worked on the back part and the main turret, I'm not fully satisfied yet. I like a lot the effect on the "jump reactor" exaust port, but the round shape of the backend annoy me slightly, I might redo it with a more angular look, but I wanna see what it look like with decorations. As for the turret, I find them a little plain, not sure what I can do for that.

Do the image I post come out well for everyone? I have never used imgur before.

I'm not too familiar how this faction stuff work, I might do some other ship with similar style. However I think I might trade grey for white in the color scheme, I'm finding it a bit dull.
    If it's looking dull, then I'd suggest adding more details, changing the color scheme won't help in that regard too much.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Front part progress, also some backdetailing but I forgot to take a screenshot. I'm fairly satisfied with what I made right now, But it is always so hard to make the actual front. I can prolong the ship to infinity, but I never know how to make the tip.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well I did the tip, but I dont really like it. Im still brainstorming for an idea.
    Lots of work done on detailing and making the ship functional. Now it generate 1.1 million e/s and has a storage of 3 million. I also put truster in. I also made a part of the inside dock.

Thinking about it, maybe I should do this thread in the shipyard part of the forum.

Blaza612

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well I did the tip, but I dont really like it. Im still brainstorming for an idea.
    Lots of work done on detailing and making the ship functional. Now it generate 1.1 million e/s and has a storage of 3 million. I also put truster in. I also made a part of the inside dock.

Thinking about it, maybe I should do this thread in the shipyard part of the forum.
    The interior is OK, but not necessarily good. The main cause is it looking bland pretty much every where, so try to add some detail using other block textures. It's not unknown to have motherboards/circuits/thrusters running up your walls and floors. I'd also suggest adding some more details in general, some cargo containers here and there, maybe some truss work just above where the ship will go for maintenance. Doing interiors can be hard, and also hard to explain, but once you figure out the different details you can do and how you can apply them ind different places, then you'll be able to easily make an amazing interior.