Fireside Chat with Nuclear Doughnut, Smoke, and Comr4de (SATURDAYS AT 9PM GMT-7)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold

custom logo eventually
    With your HOSTS: Comr4de Smoke and Nuclear Doughnut !

Broadcast weekly from Elwyn Eternity TS3 (voice.elwyneternity.com)
    Arstotzkan News Network Youtube Channel

After a really awesome discussion about balance, blocks, and gameplay, we decided that we should open up these talks for the general public. Since we don't have the resources/time to film and edit video. SO, we went low-tech and decided to go with something a bit more old-school. PODCASTS!

We're looking at weekly talks where we cozy up in the Elwyn Eternity teamspeak and hash out discussion topics. For the first one we're gonna talk about the game's general balance, and have input from people in the audience. As time goes on, and we cover more and more topics, we'll reach out to people particularly versed in the topic to come and join us in our discussions.

How do you contribute to these discussions, you ask? Simply join the Elwyn Eternity teamspeak channel (voice.elwyneternity.com) and join the "Fireside Chat channel". You'll notice that you don't have voice rights, but you can still contribute via chat. This is so we can prevent people from joining in order to disrupt the flow of the conversation. If you demonstrate a consistent pattern of good behavior, we'll elevate you to speaking rights so that you can provide input. We don't discriminate based on background, only by your actions in the channel.

What if I can't make it to these discusssions? You're in luck! Not only will we publish a podcast, but we'll also release the audio of our chats on the Arstotzkan News Network youtube channel! At the very least, you'll be able to listen in on what the community is saying.

The Golden Rules of the Conversations
    There's some structure to these discussions. Although they're largely free-form and open-ended, we need to keep these structures for the sake of moderation and civility.
    1. Be respectful. If you have a grudge with a host, guest speaker, or anyone in the channel, leave it at the door. This is a place for discussion and exchange of ideas. Try to treat someone in accordance with how you would expect to be treated.
    2. Be thoughtful Please try to contribute in a matter indicative of forethought. These are generally important subjects to the game; while levity never hurt anyone, it CAN stifle discussion and throw the entire chat off topic.
    3. Be brave enough to speak up. Don't be afraid; in this early alpha, where the devs reach out to the community, everyone's voice matters. If you think your idea is stupid, or nobody will like it, say it anyways. However, if your idea has already been presented, try to clarify why you support it instead of merely suggesting it again.
    4. The Hosts Have the Final Say in Regards to Channel Moderation. If you are repeatedly disruptive or rude to players in the chat, you will be ejected. The hosts will not tolerate misbehavior. Repeated ejections may lead to a permanent ban from the channel.

Upcoming discussion topics and guest stars (subject to change):
    1. Council Election Postmortem [POSTPONED]

1. We discuss the winners of the council elections, and what the community's choice will mean for this term. We'll also discuss the council election procedure, and see what can be improved.
    2. Game Balance I [Download HERE]
      1. Join us for the first part of our discussion on game balance, where no mechanic is sacred as we look for the true "middle ground".
    3. Game Balance II [Download HERE]
      1. An extra episode because people wanted it!
    4. Drunk Stream
      1. To celebrate the completion of finals, we're getting hammered and taking questions from chat and spilling our hearts out. If you're of legal age, get on and get SMESHED
    5. Game Balance III
      1. Join us for the wrap-up of our discussion on balance and what it means for the game, community, and the developers.
    6. Tactics: Solo (GUEST HOSTS TBA)
      1. Having trouble as a lone wolf? Tune in to hear from guest speakers about the best ways to work alone!
    7. Tactics: Fleet (GUEST HOSTS TBA)
      1. Formations getting you down? Talk to our guest speakers about what you can do to perform better in fleet engagements.
    8. Council Update (GUEST HOSTS TBA)
      1. Two months into the first term of the council, we check in on what the council's been doing, and talk about the upcoming second term.
    9. Inspiration (GUEST HOSTS TBA)
      1. What inspires you? Where do you find inspirations for your ships? Join us for a special session that talks about everything from pop culture to plop culture.
    10. Faction Politics (GUEST HOSTS TBA)
      1. Why do they hate each other? What's the deal with those two factions? Find out the sources and reasons for current faction relations on ElwynEternity.
    11. TBA
    12. TBA
    I'll take any discussion suggestions from the public for the last five. We already have a tentative schedule in mind, but we will change some of them if we like what you have in mind.

Last edited:

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    *Le Sigh* If Only we could get my name spelled properly.

Edit- Whoever fixed it... ^.^

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Why not a segment on ideal updates/feature that would potentially help? Or would that be part of the Game Balance discussions?

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I will join these discussions when I am available. I do like that these issues are being talked about by real players. Many that play on real servers. With my luck I won't be able to attend in person, but i will listen to the podcast on your channel.

Nuclear Doughnut

A Radioactive Pastry
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    That's good to hear Leanson. I hope you can join us. Starmade has too many "Whitewashed" videos and discussions. We as the community of real players that are actually PLAYING on big servers need to discuss things and make our voices heard.

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score
    Oooh this sounds pretty cool. I'd be happy to answer questions about basic logic and drones. Always have wanted to be part of a podcast. ^_^

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The last pod cast I was on, needed more real players.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Sign me up for any of these. I'll most likely say some offensive things, but I'm sure many people will find it funny.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    $80 an hour
    5 minute minimum (still costs an hour's worth of time)

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Keep up the good work! I expect great forum posts from you!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'll be trying to attend for sure. I would love to act as guest host some time with you if you end up comfortable with the idea. Fleet or solo tactics would be amazingly fun, construction inspiration isn't far off my specialty either (though my builds don't look amazing in the end they are heavily inspired by specific things)

Reaction score
    It is unlikely that I would participate (mostly because I am Schizotypal.)

I would ask that you all bear in mind the importance of the "Single Player Experience." I feel it's significance is under-appreciated because most you "vocalizers" are multi-player-server types. But do not most newcomers start in single-player and quickly form their opinion based on what happens there? Many of us (and I'll take the liberty to speak for those who do not make their presence known on the forums or in chat) are also limited by our sucky, out-dated technology and can barely function even in single-player, so multi-player is simply not an option. And even on a multi-player server, Single-player content is/would be still viable.

So please, don't overlook the Singlers simply because you have "moved up."

~ee

Reaction score
    What would you say the greatest problems for single-player players are?
    The gigantic lack of content.
    Let's see, you can attack a pirate station, or attack a pirate station. There's really no reason to build a station or have a "base", and you'll always be just a faction of 1, so exploration and the incentive to explore is the likely focus (whether by actual "quests" or effective "lures".) You need a reason to go out and mine/manufacture. ("What's my motivation?")

[Do pirates, incredibly dull and weak though they are, ever spawn without "poking the bee-hive" ? 'Cuz I've yet to encounter them otherwise.]

There also needs to be NPC factions/entities -- other than generic "pirates" and the Trading Guild -- (yes I've heard some may be coming soon™, or is that just planetary creatures?) that may be friendly, may be hostile, or their actions may be determined by your interaction with them.

So: a populated, interactive galaxy is what's needed. And it ought to have a higher priority than I perceive it currently has -- ie. a priority.

[Empty galaxy is a good place to just build stuff, tho...]

Thanx for asking. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The gigantic lack of content.
    Let's see, you can attack a pirate station, or attack a pirate station. There's really no reason to build a station or have a "base", and you'll always be just a faction of 1, so exploration and the incentive to explore is the likely focus (whether by actual "quests" or effective "lures".) You need a reason to go out and mine/manufacture. ("What's my motivation?")

[Do pirates, incredibly dull and weak though they are, ever spawn without "poking the bee-hive" ? 'Cuz I've yet to encounter them otherwise.]

There also needs to be NPC factions/entities -- other than generic "pirates" and the Trading Guild -- (yes I've heard some may be coming soon™, or is that just planetary creatures?) that may be friendly, may be hostile, or their actions may be determined by your interaction with them.

So: a populated, interactive galaxy is what's needed. And it ought to have a higher priority than I perceive it currently has -- ie. a priority.

[Empty galaxy is a good place to just build stuff, tho...]

Thanx for asking. :)
    Running a server, I'm definitely one of those multiplayer types. Ask any of my steam friends, I love single player story. rts and tbs stories are even better. I aim for the best of both. The game physical and meta. It needs work, and I think the rp servers and factions are the ones to write it.

*and individuals

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I would join, after Thursday I am done with classes and finals at the university.
    I would probably just add things in chat. Also, I finally got enough money to dig myself out of crippling debt! Now I can support the server! :D

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Reminder that our first session is tonight in about five and a half hours! We'll be talking about the council results, so if anyone who ran for the council/anyone who was elected would like to pop in for a bit and talk, let me know!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Depending on whether or not the council results are published tonight, I may have to cancel tonight's episode. Stand by.