Bug fire weapon = crash to desktop

Reaction score

Okay, after all but giving up I decided to troubleshoot in a different direction. I mentioned I have two video cards (a really new Quadro and a really old GeForce 220), and I wasn't about to give up using my Quadro just to play. During all the testing yesterday and today I had the GeForce 220 disabled, so I decided to instead confirm whether the problem rested solely with the Quadro. I disabled the Quadro, ran my computer completely off the 220, and lo and behold Starmade's Laser gun of crash-to-desktop no longer had any sway over me.

Dunno why it took me that long to get around to testing that, but once I could 100% confirm it was just the Quadro, I used the Nvidia Control Panel to switch some Javaw.exe priorities directly to the GeForce 220. Specifically, it was the CUDA and OpenGL GPU settings within Manage 3D settings. So for anyone else that has this issue, it's not much of a fix without having some secondary backup GPU, but at least it's something worth knowing.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their input, and much much appreciation to SmilingDemon for your patience. I'll dedicate my first planet destroying ship to your honor.

Last edited:
    Reactions: CaptainTaz
    Reaction score
    • Tester
    i would have suggested the use of the 220 first ... but that thing is so inferior in comparison to the k4000.
    and other than drivers i think there is no good reason why it shouldnt work with that Keppler based K4000 card.
    but good to hear it works now

Reaction score
    I experienced a similar problem with a NVIDIA Quadro card. Updating the driver to the latest version (from the NVIDIA website, NOT from device manager) and using 32-bit java solved the problem for me.