Fighters and gunships compilation

Reaction score
    Would you like to participate in a fighter compilation? I'd be happy to compile a resource of (good enough) fighters and gunships. Please submit a link below with credits (who built it). You can post other information that might be useful, but I'm not sure if I'll use it.

I'll arrange fighters/gunships by mass, and I might add a sub-classification of a role later. To save this thread from spam and arguing what's fighter and what's not, please post only ships here, don't post your opinions, argue about decisions, or anything else.

I'll reserve the rights to choose the ships fit for this compilation. I wont argue about it.

I got this idea because I wanted to easily compare different designs, test them, and get an idea of scale (what's an average size of a fighter in starmadedock, how would a certain ship do against another). I already did a blunt version of this on a private server - downloaded a bunch of fighter designs and docked them in a grid, saved the blueprint. Picture is below. The released version will be easily accessable cargo/carrier ship and fighters will be organized and labeled.

By posting your ship links below you agree that I can release these ships as part of fighter/gunship compilation and I am allowed to add a rail docker to the design, if necessary.

edit: As of 26th of Jan no posts here. If there are no comments (fighters posted) until 15th of Feb 2017, this thread can be deleted.

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    You can use mine, if you like. It's the orange and black one in the top, middle of your image there in the OP.

GS-01a-Tiger

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    if its mine and on the Dock feel free to use it
    All I demand are pretty pictures

Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    Is this still going ahead? Is there a download for the last nest of ship you worked on?
    Are there display blocks on that nest reporting on your findings?

Reactions: Gasboy
    Reaction score
    I haven't forgotten this, but on the other hand it's not very active either. I do have a blueprint of the version in first post, it's essentially just a stick station with fighters docked onto it, and although it's not very well organized, it's a good starting point for fighter tests like dogfights etc.

There aren't too many people posting ships either. I could just bash this together without asking, but there were several pages of flamed discussion going on about design thefts, so I feel like it's polite to ask as there are also people who will get upset about sharing their designs.

Reaction score
    And if you give credits where it's due and not claiming that it is your own.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    hell, you can use the one ship ive posted that possibly is a fighter. (Como el viento)
    if you want to of course.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Its not design theft if its on the docks/CC
    And if you give credits where it's due and not claiming that it is your own.
    Technically, without express written permission, it's copyright infringement. It's one thing to take a ship and do a review about it, where you can claim fair use, but to put something up on the dock without changing it is pure copyright infringement. Not that anyone is going to attempt to sue you, and probably most would not mind, but is it worth the risk?

Reaction score
    attempt to sue
    You cant be serious, putting files on a community site with the intent of sharing, your not going to be able to sue.
    Saying who built it is just a courtesy

Then again, i dont bother reading the disclaimer and American law is hell broken

Reaction score
    You cant be serious, putting files on a community site with the intent of sharing, your not going to be able to sue.
    That is the point, courtesy with others. Nobody gonna make complaint and spend money for something that doesn't gives them money in return. And anybody will be happy to see it's build, even if it's old, used by someone else and being given the credits for. That is simply courtesy amongst people and there is no needs to threaten with complaints.

CC is used to share content, people uploading here want to share their builds for whatever reasons and they'll be happy to see it used by someone else. Giving credits is simply a easier way to call and show them that their build have been used.

Reaction score
    This project started on interest to find out what kind of fighters other people have built. I downloaded a bunch of ships tagged as "fighters" from CC and found out most ships were below 300 mass, few around 100 mass and some from 300-600 and few at 600-1k mass. I suppose I'll keep the limit around 1k-2k , but I'm open for everything. I intend to make ship sections for different sizes of fighters. One goal is to create a classification system for fighters that people can use if they feel like it.

I appreciate your comments, but lets not make this post all about copyright laws. It's a fairly complex issue to go through, and conversation about it will get easily flamed. I want to keep this thread about fighters. Unless ships are posted clearly as public domain (or similar license), I'll ask the permissions for use.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    unelsson please define fighter and a gunship, if some of my old stuff get on that definition i upload it.

Gasboy I do not think you're serious, without reading the American copyright law, and assuming you're an American:

In any half decent country if there is no money gain or patent, you can not claim copyright infringement.

But supposing that in the country that you can go to jail for not wearing pajamas in some states, would you really make an international complaint because someone from another country has taken a ship from you? Really?
    In deference to unelsson, I'll just keep my point short and clear: Do you live in a country on Earth? Because most nations have ratified one or more of the international copyright conventions: Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, Universal Copyright Convention or WIPO Copyright Treaty. It's not just an American thing. Copyright infringement is not 'just' about money. Copyright covers "reproduction, control over derivative works, distribution, public performance", among other things. See that word there, distribution? Even if you are giving it away for free, as a creator of a thing, you control how it is distributed.

Then again, i dont bother reading the disclaimer and American law is hell broken
    As I said above, it does not matter how you distribute it, nor does it matter that you do so for free, you alone as the creator decide how it gets to people. And it's not just the US. Almost all nations have this safeguard for creative works, they've signed and ratified one of the major treaties on copyright.

I've been careful to state specifically that people can use certain ships of mine in their builds. I enjoy seeing my stuff show up in other places. I upload things for people to use as they see fit. However, I still retain the right to tell people they cannot use my stuff in their builds. Everyone has this right.

That's all I am saying about that.

TO get back on track, unelsson, were you thinking of perhaps creating a challenge for people to build fighters?

My reasoning is this: everyone has a different idea as to what a fighter is, what a bomber is, etc, etc. It's the same problem that classifying bigger ships has. The only time that shipbuilding classes were strictly followed was back when the Washington Naval treaty became a thing.

So why not set out your own ideas as to what constitutes a fighter, bomber, gunship, etc, and use ships from that image you posted as inspiration for those "classes". By holding a ship building challenge, the dock will become populated with fighters and bombers that closely match the attributes you set out. If enough people use it, like the USD, it'll become a standard by which other people will build by and compare to.