Farmable plants / block ingredients

Reaction score
    Recently , I realized that plants growing planetside could help bring meaningful competition between factions.

As renewable ingredients , they would grant a significant income for each planet defended and harvested. Now , a serious faction seeking to be self-sufficient and producing every module type would need to control one of each type of planets , with most plants being exclusive to them. Some others could also be grown on stations , to help more modest investors.

Since farms are purely economic in nature , and not required for a faction's short-term survival , they would not work on homebases. Those would sterilize the sector they're in , to prevent silly workarounds. Long range turrets from nearby sectors would obviously help deter raiders.

As the value of intact planets increases , factions may shift their homes and compete for convenient spots in range of multiple types. People with a vendetta could cause lasting damage bombing exposed crops ; planet builders could safeguard their investments with glass domes and guard drones.

Lots of interactions could arise from simply growing plants to craft blocks with.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    This is an interesting idea, and any way to add more strategy to faction warfare is a good thing, but this might lead to adding food of some kind, and I really don\'t want that...

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Food for living would be hard to balance. Are you twice as good if you eat a 1000 kilos food a day? I guess you would get sick instead.

EDIT: Require a healthy body to regenerate health, remove blocks faster, etc would be ok, I guess. But you should not be allowed to eat 1000 kilos a day - you have to get better (rare) food instead - where you may get only 1 from refining 1000 raw food units to 1000 eat-able food units :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I don\'t see what the problem with food is. There needs to be some way to regen your health.

Now, a hunger system, no.

But just food consumables for increasing hp, why not?

I also really like this suggestion. More reasons for interfaction combat and conquering planets is always awesome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you would have some sort of cash crop, or would these plants be used for construction materials?

Reaction score
    Honestly, a big smelting and direct crafting system would work better for making blocks out of ores.

You basically can smelt one block every 20 seconds and they don\'t take too much power but you need like four refined ore in an alloy furnace to make a metal \"ingot\". You then use these alloy ingots to make blocks directly.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Directly harvested things would be basic food, Hamburgers advanced and a fondue an even more advanced?

If it would require stuff from different planets it could lead to players trading more with each other. Especially if they are not placeable and you can\'t clone them with blueprints.

But there should be some limitation - you can\'t get it from shops and only exchange same level items 1:1 with other players, or it would become a item like any other.

Do you know The wraith-ships from StarGate Atlantis (movie, serie)? They grow on planets and are made of organic materials. Similar could be used to protect planets or just add to your fleet strength.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I would like to see plants used to create medicine and possible some kind of advanced formula similar to potions in minecraft.

Reaction score
    This suggestion isn\'t about food or anachronistic herbal remedies. It\'s strictly about planet-exclusive , renewable materials for spaceship construction. We can\'t afford such distractions before a functional crafting system is implemented.

Reaction score
    also its the best tv show ever, check out stargate sg1. People have suggected organic ships before but most don\'t realy know how best to impliment them. I personaly would think organic ships would be cool for a third NPC faction but I dont think it is likely.