Extreme Ping Issue

Reaction score
    I've been hosting a server for me and a few friends for a about a week now. (server is on a separate PC to my gaming machine.)

There aren't many of us, I think we've had at most three people on at once. Up until today its been smooth sailing, though today, inevitably as we were playing, all of us would experience a sudden and extreme increase in ping, leading to the game becoming unresponsive, culminating in a crash of the clients. (in some cases the ping reached as high as 45,000, even for me who was on the same network as the server I experienced a ping of 30k...). The server does not crash, and we are able to rejoin, though we experience the same issue very quickly soon after.

Not much has changed since last night, other than I updated the server to accommodate for the new trade system update, and also applied the hot-fix (though I believe that was for a non-related issue.).

Any help in diagnosing this issue would be greatly appreciated. (edited; server ip removed from post)

Server Information:
    StarMade Version; 0.198.476 # 20160713_134456

Hardware; i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz, 8gb memory.
    System Configuration; Arch Linux 4.6.3, using open-jdk8, all running basically headless. All software is 64 bit.
    StarMade Configuration; server.cfg is vanilla,
    My StarMade-dedicated-server-linux.sh file is as follows; (allocating 7gb of memory to the game)
    #!/bin/bash
    cd "$(dirname "$0")"
    java -Xms1024m -Xmx7168m -jar StarMade.jar -server
    Network: domestic internet connection, 3.6Mbps upload speed, over ethernet.

Top stats show no more than 33% memory utiisation. And none of the CPU cores are anywhere near maxing out.

##Stuff I've tried.
    Restart of StarMade server.
    Restart of server computer.
    Applied hot-fix.
    Increased server initial memory from 128mb to 1gb.
    Switched from TCP to UDP. (reverted back to TCP)

##Stuff I've noticed.
    Mining and combat exasperate the issue
    Possible correlation with going into build mode.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I've been hosting a server for me and a few friends for a about a week now. (server is on a separate PC to my gaming machine.)

There aren't many of us, I think we've had at most three people on at once. Up until today its been smooth sailing, though today, inevitably as we were playing, all of us would experience a sudden and extreme increase in ping, leading to the game becoming unresponsive, culminating in a crash of the clients. (in some cases the ping reached as high as 45,000, even for me who was on the same network as the server I experienced a ping of 30k...). The server does not crash, and we are able to rejoin, though we experience the same issue very quickly soon after.

Not much has changed since last night, other than I updated the server to accommodate for the new trade system update, and also applied the hot-fix (though I believe that was for a non-related issue.).

Any help in diagnosing this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am going to leave the server up; if any of you are inclined to see if you can witness this behaviour for yourselves. 82.40.14.198:4242

Server Information:
    StarMade Version; 0.198.476 # 20160713_134456

Hardware; i5 4460 @ 3.2GHz, 8gb memory.
    System Configuration; Arch Linux 4.6.3, using open-jdk8, all running basically headless. All software is 64 bit.
    StarMade Configuration; server.cfg is vanilla,
    My StarMade-dedicated-server-linux.sh file is as follows; (allocating 7gb of memory to the game)
    #!/bin/bash
    cd "$(dirname "$0")"
    java -Xms1024m -Xmx7168m -jar StarMade.jar -server
    Network: domestic internet connection, 3.6Mbps upload speed, over ethernet.

Top stats show no more than 33% memory utiisation. And none of the CPU cores are anywhere near maxing out.

##Stuff I've tried.
    Applied hot-fix.

##Stuff I've noticed.

Same problems here but i'm only client.
    Log file says [2016-07-13 21:27:12] [MANAGERCONTAINER] Exc: NOT FOUND MULT INVENTORY (received mod): SpaceStation[ENTITY_SPACESTATION_Hope III(14510)] - (22, -93, 3); {}

Alot, and i mean a lot of line nearly identical.

Reaction score
    • Tester
    yes .. seems to be the same issue

kikaha is there something special on that station? .. did you place one of the new shops there? ..is there an old shop untouched ?
    any special storage / factory stuff on there ?

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    I'm getting similar. Game runs fine for five or ten minutes and then it begins - almost cyclic. Starts with slight FPS dips and increases in ping at irregular intervals, and then begins to increase in intensity and frequency until the game crashes or I have to alt+f4 or terminate the process. Feels similar to that mem leak bug (I think).
    Mostly happening with online play.

Reaction score
    I've got a similar experience, I play on Brierie, and every time I try to log in, my FPS drops to nothing and ping goes through the roof. Usually this ends up with the game crashing totally. Relogging or relaunching (completely restarting game) does not help, because I cannot even spawn on the server before problems start.

I tested on my personal server and everything is running just fine on it. The problem must be in the Brierie server end of things in my case, since I cannot replicate the same behavior on my server.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    yes .. seems to be the same issue

kikaha is there something special on that station? .. did you place one of the new shops there? ..is there an old shop untouched ?
    any special storage / factory stuff on there ?
    I cannot say. It is not my station and couldn't get a hold of the owner. There is a shop yes that i'm certain of. It was there before the update. How it is set up, no idea.
    By the way, on this server all shops have been taken away from the unuverse save for 4 that act as trading outpost. Player owned shops cannot sell stuff (except blueprints).

Erth Paradine

Server Admln & Bug Reporter
    Reaction score
    We've seen this as well on our public server, seems to have stopped once the sector size hotfix came out (and we moved server.cfg back to our normal sector size): ⚓ T1675 Flooding client-side logs

For us at least, that station's shop module was pre-existing; before the recent updates.

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    We've seen this as well on our public server, seems to have stopped once the sector size hotfix came out (and we moved server.cfg back to our normal sector size): ⚓ T1675 Flooding client-side logs
    Nope. Thats apparently when it started for me. :(
    Just prior to posting initially on this thread I had the worst one yet (on your server), so it hasnt gone.

Reaction score
    Hmm, might it be that the servers haven't been hotfixed properly. My personal server works just fine, and I've installed the hotfix on it when it became available. I checked my logs, and I'm seeing exactly the kind of log flood shown in that bug report.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I think it may be related to the planet you're on, and that objects keep getting stuck in the planet.
    There is a swarm of pirates around, and they don't have enough thrust to get off the planet. When the planet is loading in, they keep getting stuck inside it. Also, there is an asteroid bouncing around in the core of the planet.

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    I'm getting similar. Game runs fine for five or ten minutes and then it begins - almost cyclic. Starts with slight FPS dips and increases in ping at irregular intervals, and then begins to increase in intensity and frequency until the game crashes or I have to alt+f4 or terminate the process. Feels similar to that mem leak bug (I think).
    Mostly happening with online play.
    Saw the same exact symptoms, which is what led me to find the client-side log flood posted in that ticket I linked above. Clear your cache, and relog...issue has since gone away for me after doing that + hotfix installed.

Reaction score
    I think it may be related to the planet you're on, and that objects keep getting stuck in the planet.
    There is a swarm of pirates around, and they don't have enough thrust to get off the planet. When the planet is loading in, they keep getting stuck inside it. Also, there is an asteroid bouncing around in the core of the planet.
    While none of that is ideal; this issue still occurs when we're not in that system. I am going to check the client side logs to see if "NOT FOUND MULT INVENTORY" error appears. I feel like that is the common consensus of this thread,

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    For me, there was no planet within at least 10 sectors in any direction.
    [doublepost=1468445051,1468444905][/doublepost]
    Nope. Thats apparently when it started for me. :(
    Just prior to posting initially on this thread I had the worst one yet (on your server), so it hasnt gone.
    Have you cleared your cache? This didn't go away for me until I did that.
    [doublepost=1468445265][/doublepost]
    ##Stuff I've tried.
    Applied hot-fix.

##Stuff I've noticed.
    Did you have a non-default sector size? Was it larger than 5000 before the update/hotfix? If so, you will need to manually edit server.cfg and move the sector size back to what you had it at, as the before-hotfix bug rewrote server.cfg's entry; forcing everyone down to 5000.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    For me, there was no planet within at least 10 sectors in any direction.
    [doublepost=1468445051,1468444905][/doublepost]

Have you cleared your cache? This didn't go away for me until I did that.
    [doublepost=1468445265][/doublepost]

Did you have a non-default sector size? Was it larger than 5000 before the hotfix? If so, you will need to manually edit server.cfg and move the sector size back to what you had it at, as the before-hotfix bug rewrote server.cfg's entry; forcing everyone down to 5000.

It was just the default size before the update, which I believe it was 2000?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I play on brierie also and im getting this: [2016-07-13 17:31:41] [MANAGERCONTAINER] Exc: NOT FOUND MULT INVENTORY (received mod): Ship[Improved_Miner1468387718798](33254) - (8, 10, 8); {}

I think a bug report has already been submitted, and i doubt is a station or planet. So not shop block related?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hope III is our Station, the station "Core" was imported from a blue print, with an old Shop module on it, having preregistred faction members on it, and almost no cargos blocs, only the whole automated factorie. all the cargos were added yesterday.

The lag hours is correct, since my mate activated the new options on it, the shop was still empty and not linked with any cargo module.

I hope that info can help to diag it :)

Sachys

Hermit.
    Reaction score
    Deleted shop modules from my homebase and inprogress staton on my build account (both on the server).
    Problem not 100% gone - but seems to be playable, and hasnt (yet) gone to a crawl or crash.
    getting about 50 to 75% of the usual FPS I'd get in the same areas.

Reactions: Erth Paradine
    Reaction score
    Okay. I got around to checking my logs. I did grep -ri "NOT FOUND MULT INVENTORY" in my StarMade directory on my gaming system. Okay, that occurs a lot. So I assume its that...

Reaction score
    If we can't even log in to servers to delete said shop blocks (as in Brierie's case), then what can we do but wait for another hotfix to come?

And Zedrakis, "Improved Miner" appears in my logs as well, that might be the problem...

Erth Paradine

Reaction score
    Okay. I got around to checking my logs. I did grep -ri "NOT FOUND MULT INVENTORY" in my StarMade directory on my gaming system. Okay, that occurs a lot. So I assume its that...
    Our server console, log.txt and serverlog.txt all have zero of these problem log entries - it was all client-side log spam for us.